VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

never been more confused about acoustic treatment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
When you were in Hartford, did you ever do anything at Tapeworks? The walls and part of the ceiling in their studio is covered with it.

When I was in Hartford, all I wanted to do was get OUT of Hartford. Liked the area and the people were awesome, probably the best, most supportive and appreciative audience I've ever been associated with. But I worked for Sy Dresner at WCCC. I could write volumes, and probably should because most of it is unbelievable. But bottom line, I didn't do anything that or visit anybody that would keep me there. After 15 months, and bringing their ratings up ten fold, we got offered a job in Miami at RKO radio. When they brought us (Rick & Suds) down for an interview, it was December. I walked out of my house in Simsbury, up to my knees in snow. By nightfall I was sitting on my hotel balcony at the breakers, in my shorts. It was just under 80 degrees and I turned to Suds and said, ‘How much are we going to have to pay them to take this job?’ Got hired and spent the 18 years in South Florida.

So in answer to your question, ‘No, I never did go to Tapeworks’.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIK is a very nice company. All my dealings have been great and they actively participate in other acoustic forums and readily give out advice without shoving their products down your throat.

If my panels weren't all custom i'd have purchased their stuff. In retrospect, id have redesigned the booth to fit their products. Their prices arr very competitive.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Tectum, good luck in trying to get it. There is one distributor per region and you are subject to that distributor. The Northwest distributor didn’t have what I needed and told me I’d have to wait until they had enough orders for another truckload. They estimated 12 weeks. I wrote the Tectum Company and said, maybe I’m missing something, but… ‘I can’t imagine someone waiting for a product for their project for 3 months.’ They had their LA distributor call me and tell me they had what I needed and would be glad to get it to me. Great, so I told them what I needed. ‘But wait’ they said, it still had to go through my NW distributor, ‘so call them and tell them we have it’. I did and they said the cost of the product would be about $500, and it would be about $500 to ship it as well. I only needed about 80 sq ft, so for $1,000, I said thanks, but no thanks.

Normally I would have moved on to something else, but I looked on National Craigslist and saw a couple of guys selling it for $1.50 / sq ft in bulk, if I bought it all. So I made a deal with a guy in Vermont, who had a bunch left over from a major project, to buy what he had at a little over $1 / sq ft and $456 shipping. I ended up getting 200 sq ft for $676, or about $3.38 / sq ft. WHICH is a VERY good deal as WITHOUT shipping, from my NW distributor it’s $6.30 / sq ft.

Now I have a bunch left over and am waiting to build a Media / Theater room, perhaps using some in there. A pain to get, but in the end, worth it. It works well and IMO, looks good. Here’s a picture of part of the inside of the booth. It’s also on the studio door.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Rick, my booth is going to BLOW YOURS AWAY!!

ok, just kidding. It's not even going to be close. Every time I look at your booth it reminds me how lackluster my booth is Smile

Someday....someday...

I think my whole booth, panels and all is going to be about $1300.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for GIK Acoustics. Not cheap but they know their stuff and are more than happy to consult. Panels look great and are very well made.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: By the way Reply with quote

I have custom sized panels from GIK.

as long as they are rectangular, and not larger than the regular sizes, I think they will make them for you.

They have been really easy to work with, at least the GIK group in the UK.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: By the way Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:
I have custom sized panels from GIK.

as long as they are rectangular, and not larger than the regular sizes, I think they will make them for you.

I realize that it's nice to place an order, write a check and wait for the delivery truck, but panels are really not hard to make at all, and you can do it for a fraction of the cost. Make a frame, it's just four pieces of wood. You can use brad nails or for a really nicely finished frame, Kreg pocket holes http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453139798&sr=1-4&keywords=kreg+pocket+hole+jig

Get an OC 703 panel, cut it with a hacksaw blade or the like and cover it with the fabric of your choice, either bought locally or from Guilford of Maine, like GIK does. It's pretty easy and you can make them exactly to your specifications.

And you end up with a little more pride in your work.

Just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose to cover the whole thing -- frame and all -- with fabric, rather than upholstering just the insert and mounting it in a visible frame, you could even whack the frame together with corrugated fasteners (or use brads).
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
If you choose to cover the whole thing -- frame and all -- with fabric, rather than upholstering just the insert and mounting it in a visible frame, you could even whack the frame together with corrugated fasteners (or use brads).

Which is probably what GIK and others do, since the frames in their panels aren't visible. Lee's process is not only faster and easier, but more cost effective as the wood used for visible frames, like oak, maple, etc., is more pricey than what you might use that is construction grade.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rick. For me, way to easy to not build myself. I understand why people choose to buy them but it's just not my style. I'm going to build a ton of panels and fill my entire booth for about $350. Bass trap and all. When I looked into GIK it was going to cost me a little over $1000 to get equivalent but not a perfect fit.

Also, I'm particular about appearance. If I was more utilitarian, I could have made them for under $225 but I wanted pretty, fire rated fabric instead of burlap or some random cotton.

Fabric will be here Wednesday!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when I first saw those panels, I thought.... "Whoa, throwback Thursday!"

I haven't seen that stuff in years. But it works. Inoccent
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North End,

Could I take you up on the offer for the pics and instructions and materials for your acoustic treatment? That sounds really helpful..Thank you!
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Let me dig up the info and I'll shoot you a PM. I can't link the images on the board for some reason. Probably be Monday. Panels are not difficult at all to fabricate and you can custom size them for your space.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that one can make panels that work as well as those from GIK...but I'm pleased to be one of the few VO folks that have driven up to their loading dock, talked to them in person, and drove away with a carload of panels and bass traps.

It's not brain science or rocket surgery Wink , but it's clear from seeing their operation that they work hard and take pride in it.

I miss Tectum...my school music rooms in ye olden days seemed to often sport it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: