VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

never been more confused about acoustic treatment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
I would be interested in knowing what fan you selected.

I got this one: www.isostore.com/shop/product/fantech-fg-series-inline-centrifugal-fan/ , a Fantech FG 4.

Here it is, attached to the muffler box.

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice link. Thank you. I had come across Fantec but the site was about their fans to pull air out of bathrooms in particular. (Those are ALWAYS noisy!) As an after thought they mentioned and pictured this in-line series but did not give a handy link and I wondered at the time how quiet they would be.

Whether you are doing acoustics or lighting or whatever, formulas that work for large rooms, office conference centers, etc. may not work when you apply them to audio-booth sized spaces. But here is the math as I remember it:
You want the air in a room to "turn over" 6 to 8 times per hour. Take your room dimensions, figure out the cubic space in cubic feet, multiply by 6 or 8 and then divide by 60 minutes. Now we have a guess at how many cubic feet per minute we need to have adequate ventilation and delivery of heating or cooling capacity. figure out the diameter of your duct work and figure out how fast the air has to move through that cross-section dimension and now you can calculate how many CFM will be delivered to your space if you keep the flow down somewhere between 100 and 200 feet per minute in velocity. I didn't build a muffler but I did use 25 or 30 feet of the flexible duct which does a pretty good job of quieting things down. Until just a couple of weeks ago I had no idea how much volume my fan would produce. Now that I have found that number, I need to do my calculations to see all my stolen and collected theory has any validity. My fan is a three-speed device and I recently moved it down from medium to slow and that reduced what was already a pretty quiet noise factor. I used the Stanley Carpet/Floor Blower. I had to fabricate my own Rube Goldberg device to connect the duct to the rectangular "snout". Now that I have done it once, my next one will be much more eye-appealing. I, too, would provide a picture buy my old bones just whispered: "We ain't crawling into that attic tonight!!!"
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course bathroom fans are noisy on purpose, dealing with excess noise as well as excess "humidity". Gasp

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When talking about fabric for acoustic treatments, anything you can breath through will work. So pick out some nice upholstery fabric and see if you can breath through it.

As far as printed from ATS, I was surprised how NON breathable it was, So use it sparingly in a space.

The recycled denim works well, as does my favorite, Roxul60. The frames are easy to make and the Roxul cuts with a sharp knife. I'm not a fan of Auralex, not for the price anyway.

www.monksvoice.com
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I've found with booths covered in Auralex, they can be boomy. The Auralex just can't suck up the sound the way denim or Roxul can.

www.monksvoice.com
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan here of Auralex either. Expensive and not as effective as other treatments. I continue to use OC 703, in which I made my own frames and covered them with breathable material, and Tectum, a new product I found being used in a lot of sound treated facilities. It looks like panels made of spaghetti.

The contrast of the different products, to me, is aesthetically pleasing, and the combination for sound treatment seems to work great.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy that someone else went there first... but I'm not a fan of Auralex either. To me, it's incredibly expensive for the marginal superiority over regular (generic) foam panels. However, my room is equipped with six OC703 4x2 panels on the walls with three "super-chuncks" in the corners. There are three more 4x2 panels on the ceiling for a "cloud". My 4x4 booth area (off the main 9x13 room) is lined with air-gapped Roxul Safe'n'Sound. All the panels are covered with burlap... two have decorative towels over them as well. All 4x2 panels are wood framed with 2-inch OC703 and a 2-inch air-gap.

I have collected lots of pyramid foam over the years and what I now don't use I chop up and put into burlap coffee sacks... decorative bass-traps scattered around in the corners Smile
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I grow up I want a Rick Riley booth cool
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
Tectum, a new product I found being used in a lot of sound treated facilities. It looks like panels made of spaghetti.

Tectum is not all that new. We had it on the walls of all the studios at my old radio station 30 years ago.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Rick Riley wrote:
Tectum, a new product I found being used in a lot of sound treated facilities....

Tectum is not all that new. We had it on the walls of all the studios at my old radio station 30 years ago.

OK... new to ME. I've been in radio as long as you and I'D never heard of it. I certainly would have remembered a name that rhymed with Rectum.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you were in Hartford, did you ever do anything at Tapeworks? The walls and part of the ceiling in their studio is covered with it.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This conversation has been an interesting exploration for me. I have long been aware of TECTUM as a manufacturer of building materials. They built a factory to make such things in the county where I attended college in Arkansas... some time right after Noah and the flood.

I knew of them as a company that made "fake wood" that chould be used as part of flooring in a building or to be the foundation of a roofing system in commercial buildings. The fact that there were acoustic materials in their catalog slipped past my radar.

I don't ever recall seeing Tectum branded products on display at retailers such as Lowe's and Home Depot. But I guess we never get too old to learn something new. If I wanted to go to town today and see Tectum products that might useful in a stuio, where would I go to look?
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of great comments. Thanks!

I'll be building panels with denim and fabric that I'm buying directly from GIK. I asked if I could buy their standard fabric (not listed on their site) and they said yes. No minimum. It's going to work great. Cheaper than Auralex and waaaay more effective and it's not going to look cheap. Very excited.

Hopefully in a week or so i'll post pictures.

Thanks again for the practical advice.

gary
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want your logo or other picture on your panels, I can have your graphic screen printed digitally on your fabric. I do not have costs right this moment, but it can be done.

Frank F
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I ask: "Self... do you really get anything out of the time you spend cultivating these discussions?"

Oh, yes! Today is a winner. GIK had not come up on my radar. I just went through their site and realize they are IN MY BACKYARD. I used to work 3 or 4 miles from their location. I must meet these people. (I'm sure the feeling is mutual. They have been wondering why I haven't intruded sooner.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: