VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

apparently, acting is hard..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: apparently, acting is hard.. Reply with quote

I live in a city that has little to offer in the way of acting classes. Have any of you seen any online acting "stuff" that is worth checking into?

I'm talking about stuff like over skype groups or something where people could collaborate.

I did some cursory google searching but nothing popped out.

I have to do something to improve.

Thanks.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most honest and true thread titles I've ever seen! Acting IS hard. Good acting is rare.

I'm sure you will be able to find e-coaching. Many Skype coach. I myself don't coach this way. To me there's no substitution for one on one. Those who are serious and demand the best for their career do whatever it takes. Your competition, especially those with the kind of career most hope to have, take those risks necessary for success. For an actor, those risks come in three ways: 1) Creative. 2) Financial. 3). Geographic. You need to take creative risks at the mic. You need to invest and reinvest. And depending what you want out of your career, you may need to relocate.

We now live in a time where, at least with vo, many dive in prematurely. They are more concerned with which mic to buy than they are with how to perform. They put themselves out there, be it on a demo or auditioning before they study acting technique, and then ask for feedback.

I think you are born an actor. I think you are born a singer, sculptor, writer, etc. Technique gives you the tools to recreate your talents at will consistently. If you want to dabble, study in a way that is most convenient to your lifestyle. If you want a career in vo, seek out the best training and opportunities, and then strive to do more! More than everyone else!!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how far out in the boonies you are, but some community colleges will let you take just a class or two. Theater classes can be great.

How about community theater? A good director will help you become a better actor.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses, Bob and Bruce.

I dont exactly live in the boonies, its just not a town that has any options for acting.

I'll look online and do my best to side step the mine-field that is acting coaching. Shouldnt be much different than side stepping the mine-field that is vo coaching...
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, surf YouTube. Oodles of acting classes/seminars, and interviews with good teachers. Also, check out these books:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Meisner-Acting/dp/0394750594/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419107810&sr=1-4&keywords=Acting

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Acting-Stella-Adler/dp/1557833737/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419107950&sr=1-8&keywords=Acting

http://www.amazon.com/Respect-Acting-Uta-Hagen/dp/0470228482/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419107992&sr=1-19&keywords=Acting

http://www.amazon.com/Intent-Live-Achieving-Potential-Actor/dp/0553381202/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419108060&sr=1-32&keywords=Acting

That should keep you busy until you find some coaches and classes in your area.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Bob!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while not really acting, Toastmasters helped me a lot with basic performing skills. It also has really helped me be able to relax during a session when two or three people are on the other end of the line giving direction and feedback and basically, requiring me to perform on demand.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thats great advice. I'm actually a 4 year member and an area governor Wink

It's definitely something that helped me get over some anxiety and prepared me for reads in front of people.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Current Area Gov here as well (District 84 Area 23)

In that case Yarg I'd say you have already addressed one of the important area of this business.

While public speaking is not always completely identical to acting, sometimes it is and even when it's not, they are close cousins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: