VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An August adventure
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: An August adventure Reply with quote

Early last year I lost one of my dearest friends as the result of a fatal attack of death and then to put the cream on top of the strawberries I lost my best friend due to ....How best to put this ...oh yes ...STUPIDITY! Mine. If I had a PhD it would be in stupidity. So that's where we are today.

So, what to do?

Make friends. But how? Go to Los Angeles and meet several people as two of them may wish to apply for the vacant positions (a) dearest friend and (b) best friend. apparently whilst there I am NOT allowed to mention that I am basically NOT a nice person to know as it may spoil things. Bit dishonest but I see if I can manage.

I arrive in LA on the afternoon of 22nd August (about 3ish), will be staying at the Beverly Wilshire, 9500 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, depart LAX 3.45pm 24th August.

With the help of Larissa Gallagher there'll probably be a working lunch on the Saturday for as many people who want to come along and find out about "Thinking Differently .." more Q&A than formal presentation, more fun than work. Evening will be spent at a disused airfield watching people play poker in aid of the SAGAFTRA Don La Fontaine charity. Sunday until lunchtime, no idea.

Goals - Have fun, make friends, introduce some new Qualified Voiceoverist to the world (ONLY I may bestow the "badges of blessing") and this trip has nothing at all to do with doing two trips in the Airbus A380.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, I am so, so sorry for your losses.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind thought. The real plus is that I had both of them in my life in the first place.

Back on track there are 2 vacancies - Nominal application fee to cover processing will apply.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message to anyone in the LA area who may be on the fence: DO IT!
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you know her I'll be staying at Beverly Wilshire's place which is near a Rodeo drive. I'll be kept awake until the early hours with cattle doing cattle stuff and horses being ridden by people called Clay and Betsy-Lou. These people carry hand guns made by Smith and Wesson able to stop a charging Elephant. As it's LA I assume they fire a fashion prohibition order at the beast which reads "Grey is SO 2010". Hypocrisy as Clay n Besty-Lou wear HUGE hats and boots illustrated with scenes from Brokeback Mountain.

1245pm BA flight 0283 arrives at LAX which is short for laxative due to Air Traffic Controllers who play video games at work sometimes getting confused.

"Speedbird283 Super. Descend into the dungeon and collect the Jewel of Aberron"

Of course the quick thinking British Airways Captain has a way of snapping LAX Tower back to reality.

"Descending into dungeon to collect Jewel of Aberron. Permission to fire Zulabby Plasma energy bolts at your location? 283 Super"

"283 Super. Clear to land runway Two Five right wind zero four zero at 15knots ...Sorry Dood!"

"Clear to land runway two five right. Awesome ...Dood ...283 Super."
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat, Philip. I'll be entertaining my mother visiting Portland whilst you're on the West Coast. However since I do I like you and approve of your Stateside visits, I will shout a hearty "Awesum D00D!!" in your general direction at the appropriate time. Wink

Seriously, though, I know it's hard to be without a best friend. I've not really had one for a long time, and there are occasions when I deeply feel the lack. Sending you a big hug, and warm wishes for your work on new, close friendships to bear fruit in the near future.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely of you to write such things, thank you. The secret, yes there really is a secret, is to stop looking and really live life. You'll find everything (everyone) needed to complete your journey as you simply go on your travels. More important they'll find you.

To sum up my life over the past 5 years or so (life, not work) ****ING AWFUL! My work is not my life, work is fabby thank you. Travel, adventures and other experiences have been truly delightful but at the core, life is and has been ...TRULY ****ING AWFUL!

Any way, back to the plot. In LA on Saturday 23rd the plan is to get a few people around a table for lunch. "First, you have to think differently - Unplugged". Three hours of business only. In LA everyone is a noob VO, two years later they're a key note speaker at VOICE, after another year they're coaching. So I'm not teaching anything teaching related. No performance skills, just all about making a living and helping those who represent actors who do VO work make a living. Needless to say I will ask people on Saturday to do something on Monday which they won't do. I will also give them enough to do to last them 3 months which they won't do AND if they do try something I suggest they'll probably post on a VO related website asking for opinions from people who know nothing, at all!

It's a lonely life being a genius.

Talking about the Airbus A380, did you know they have an Amish section? People like me have to "come out from among them and be ye separate". In order to help with this we board the aircraft using a separate bridge. I'm not sure if it's wide enough for a Pony and trap, best check.

"Abraham, ift dah Lort hat vanted as do fly he vood haf gibbon as vings"

"He dit Enoch! Loog owd off dah vindow. Doo hooj vings!"

"OK. Braise dah Lort! Lost Anglezz here vee gum!"

"Good Mr Schmidt and Mr Kepplewarmer" says the Cabin Services Director "May I get you some champagne and caviar?" Both look at each other and have an attack of doctrinal amnesia.

" Vug id, vy nod! Jess bleeze jung laytee. Danke!"
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel hard for ya— especially the fatal attack of death.
I hate that.

The remarkable thing— it is because I am remarking on it, you see— is that kindnesses arrive from the most unexpected sources. People who have no business going out of their way to treat you well, DO.

I hope you enjoy LA. I love that town.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first flight by the Wright brothers measured 120 feet in an aircraft weighing about the same as a BigMac meal for a family of 3. The wing span of an Airbus A380 is 260 feet and each wing weighs 40 tons. To get me to LA if the tanks are full we'll have about 800,000lbs of fuel. The reason I mention this is because I believe in miracles, progress and making the impossible possible.

LA will be wonderful for a number of reasons, as for the rest, did I mention I believe in miracles?

Anyone who has gazed in person at the Taj Mahal knows what reality can result from a vision.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for your losses, Philip. And sorry, too, that I can relate to the loss of a best friend.

He was lost to stupidity also. (His own, not yours.) It was about 30 years ago now, and he has yet to be replaced. "Other" friends? Sure. "Close" friends? Absolutely. But "best" friend? It's a tough position to fill. Especially if people like you and I are honest about ourselves on the job posting.

Wink
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count my blessings every day but take no comfort from the fact that whilst I am not successful enough to be worshipped and adored like the LA greats I do well enough to annoy the great unwashed in our business.

The majority love to be negative and see the sneer in everything, I don't. Possibilities abound, New York, LA, London AND Portgordon. One has to start by thinking of oneself as fo_t_ nate. That one word will set anyone on a path to great things. See what's missing from that word? I'm happy to complete it, R U?

One of the advantages of going to the Don La Fontaine Poker Tournament is that the great, the greater and the grating will be gathered, everyone of them associated with this wonderful business that we call voiceoveristismizing. It will be a wonderful lesson in humility for me as I will be largely invisible to all in attendance save for those who address me thus.

"Waiter, can I get another two beers?" followed by a dollar bill being thrust into the breast pocket of my jacket.

The title of this thread is misleading as August starts with a capital letter merely because it is a title or headline. August in this case should start with a lower case "a" as it is the adjective. The journey, the adventure is an august adventure - one inspiring reverence or admiration.

How's life? Good or bad, happy or sad, always an august adventure.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for your losses Philip. My best friend and I have come close to stupidity a number of times in the 40+ years we've been friends. Honesty pushes you there sometimes. And our lives couldn't be more different. But we've always been able to back off from the irrevocable.

I've been thinking of hitting the Poker Classic. Knowing you'll be there just may be the deciding factor.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting you both play a mean hand of poker. Wink
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best when it comes to knowing what to say when someone is going through a tough time. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully this virtual {{{HUG}}} will do until the next time I have the opportunity to deliver the real thing in person.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's life, things can always be better but they certainly could be SO much worse.

The best place to initiate a programme of improvements is "where you at now" and that's what been happening for me for some time. Intially it's about survival and it evolves from there in gentle steps.

F - Function. Are you able to do what you need to do. Make sure that's the case.
U - Unbundle. De construct your life so you can see every element.
C - Cash is king so make sure bills are paid and you have a Squirrel fund.
K - Knowledge. Know where you're heading and make plans.
I - Intentions. Look after you, you're all you've got but don't be selfish.
T - Travel. Life is a journey so travel through it with winning in mind.

Coming up. How to make a living as a Voiceoverist using quadratic equations and old tennis shoes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: