VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First month of the new year...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: First month of the new year... Reply with quote

... and I've had a number of pleasant surprises. And, now that I think about it, they all stemmed from LinkedIn - which I hardly look at or pay attention to or.... <gasp> update.

First, I've received two great referrals from a fellow vo I really don't know and I've never met or worked with. But he found me on LinkedIn a few months ago. We had a very brief convo about starting a local vo group. That's it. These are referrals with clients with whom it appears we'll have a long-term relationship, and very steady work. Not to mention, these referrals have clued me in on a market of voice over I've never really thought much about - affiliates.

I'm so appreciative of this person referring me without ever even working with me, words don't even cover it. Sadly, I'm rarely in the position to refer people. I really want to do *something* for this colleague whom I've never met. Sending a little gift card just doesn't seem to be the thing. I'd love to refer him to someone, and I will if ever I have the opportunity. But if y'all have any ideas, let me know!! (His name, btw, is Jon Goffena of audiovectors.com)

Second, I've had two other potential new clients contact me from finding me online - again, of all places, LinkedIn.

Twitter, Facebook, Google+ (something I also NEVER use), YouTube... and LinkedIn. I guess the point here is, pay attention to the social media profiles you have out there. Keep them updated. Read about people, and what they do. Make friends. Chat.

And I had sort of resolved to lay off social media a bit. Hmmmm...

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate is always good!
Just keep you finger on the pulse on all the sites. You don't have to post just to post but you can find all kinds of things happening where you have something to offer.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dropped facetube 3 years ago and haven't looked back. i DO loves me some linkedin, though. even though i don't participate in a lot of discussions, i watch manny of the (not voiceover oriented discussions - but industries i am working/want to work in). it's a great way to know the customer & their needs. it has beed very good to me work-wise.

CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Eddie.

LinkedIn has certainly changed a lot since I originally started using it. It's super cluttered in my opinion. And, I get a lot of spammy-type messages. Lots of crap to weed through.

I need to take time to look at it closer though, and see where there might be more potential.

I also HAVE to get my damn YouTube account straightened out. The whole collaboration of various platforms and user names has gotten botched up. Anthony Mendez sent me the info on the fix. Must do that.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: