VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I doing this in the best way?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Am I doing this in the best way? Reply with quote

I'm new to this VO stuff, and I want to make sure I'm making the right chain of connections.

I have a Art MP Tube Preamp and a Scarlett 2i2.

My question is going from the preamp into the Scarlett. Take a look at the pictures for connection reference.

Currently I'm going from the preamp into the Scarlett with an XLR cable, but should I be using a balanced TRS cable to go from the preamp into the scarlett to get line input?

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRS and XLR are the same thing (internally). Doesn't matter really, they are both balanced.

My question for you is...why are you using two interfaces? They both have a preamp and USB connection. Pick one.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question would be: is the preamp in the ArtMP that much better than the Focusrite?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zach,

Yes. My understanding is that 2i2 switches into a line in mode by using a TS or TRS. The 2i2 is one of the few entry level usb pres that have a true line in, bypassing the preamp. Look at the graphic in the manual showing a keyboard. That is your configuration. The switch on the channel must be on line not guit. You can do damage by running a pre through a pre if your not careful.

Without getting technical think of any amplified signal as line level. ex.. Keyboard, synth, stereo, output of a preamp. Non amplified sources, mics, guitars, etc all require different handling. The big no-no is plugging a line level source into a jack designed for a non amplified source.

Jason's "why both?" is a good question. Tube color perhaps? Keep in mind that each additional piece of gear you put in the chain is going to add it's own color and NOISE to your end result. I have found all the lower end ART tube stuff to be too noisy for VO, for me anyway.

What kind of microphone are you using?

Bob
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question would be: is the preamp in the ArtMP that much better than the Focusrite?

Quote:
Keep in mind that each additional piece of gear you put in the chain is going to add it's own color and NOISE to your end result.

Speaking of noise, the trouble I have found with preamps on most converters (and quite a few preamps too) is they don't have enough gain. To get the level you need, you have to push it too high, to where it gets too noisy.

So going from a preamp into the converter makes sense as far as that goes.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Yes. No. No..... and No.

1. Both units are combo mic pre and converter interfaces. Redundant.
2. Jason gets it. Pick one.
3. The ART pre is not better than the Focusrite.... but not much worse.
4. The Focusrite line input does not bypass the pre.
5. Doubling the gain on a noisy source only yields more noise. Pointless.
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that picking one to use is a good idea, but you might keep the other one around as a spare. The 2i2 is a decent little box. I had it for awhile but got rid of it because it's one of only a couple of interfaces known to not work with Source Connect.

If those were here at the Gettig Ranch, I'd use the 2i2 primarily and keep the ART for a spare. That is the good kind of redundancy. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding 2l2 line level input info.. From the specs:

Mic
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
THD+N < 0.002% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) < -120dB: measured at 55dB of gain with 150Ω termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
Gain Range +10dB to +55dB
Max Input Level -3dBu

Line
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
THD+N <0> 100dB
Gain Range -10dB to +35dB
Max Input Level +20dBu

It may not truly be bypassing all pre gain stages but it does accept line level where most pres don't and can properly attenuate the line level signal.

Bob
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Here's some answers as to why I have both of them.

I had the Art preamp first and after I replaced the stock tube in it, it really sounds alot better. I like the warmth that I get from it. I put a Tungsol 12AX7 tube in it. Thus, I just kept it when I got the scarlett, not really thinking much of it until now.

The reason why I need the scarlett is because that's what connects to my monitors, M-Audio CX5's. The Art tube doesn't have monitor outs, that's why I can't use it as my only interface.

Yes I could just use the scarlett, true, although I like the way the tube sounds and I would still run into this concept (preamp into interface), as I move up the chain to more expensive setups - albeit they're much higher quality.

I'm using an Oktavamod MK-319 mic, going into Audition.

So thus my question of going between the two. I agree it makes sense to use one, however it would have to only be the scarlett because of the monitor outputs.

When going into the line in the scarlett, does it matter if it's Art tube XLR-> Scarlett TRS ? Or should it be TRS -> TRS? Or does just switching it to LINE on the front enable this? I see that it does switch internally somehow, just not sure if that's only triggered by a TRS cable.

New to all this stuff.... thanks for the patience!
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach,

You need a TRS into the 2i2. That switches/triggers it into line/inst mode (dependent on the front switch). XLR in is mic pre only. So, best would be TRS-TRS or XLR-TRS. I have walked this same path before... Smile

SOP is to run your first pre as hot as you can to your liking then trim the 2i2 to your preferred levels in your DAW.

Also, no 48v on the 2i2 and make sure all your levels are down/off when plugging.

Bob
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevens wrote:

You need a TRS into the 2i2. That switches/triggers it into line/inst mode (dependent on the front switch). XLR in is mic pre only. So, best would be TRS-TRS or XLR-TRS. I have walked this same path before... Smile

Thanks Bob, this is starting to make sense. So i checked out the manual of the Art preamp, found here: http://artproaudio.com/files/owners_manuals/om_tubemppsusb.pdf

Page 4, it talks about the 1/4" output. It appears to be unbalanced. Digging through my cables, I found I have 1/4" TS (unbalanced) 'speaker' cables, would those work for this application? Or should a get a 'instrument' TRS cable?

Looks like to do have a XLR->1/4". Not trs, just a single ring around the 1/4 connector. Even though that's not line level out of the preamp, I wonder if that would work...

Last edited by Zach Meissner on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bring up balanced or unbalanced as to avoid confusion. Now that you ask...

Your 1/4" TS will work as well as your XLR to 1/4" TS. Those are unbalanced cables. I always opt for balanced cables if I can. You would be amazed by the difference a high quality cable can make. And I don't mean balanced or un I mean quality. Mogami, Clark, Canare, Litz etc..

Bob
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevens wrote:
I didn't bring up balanced or unbalanced as to avoid confusion. Now that you ask...

Your 1/4" TS will work as well as your XLR to 1/4" TS. Those are unbalanced cables. I always opt for balanced cables if I can. You would be amazed by the difference a high quality cable can make. And I don't mean balanced or un I mean quality. Mogami, Clark, Canare, Litz etc..

Bob

I've gathered that using balanced is better if possible as well. So knowing that, and given the fact that the 1/4" out on the Art preamp is unbalanced, I take it i should be going XLR out(since it's balanced at the preamp) to 1/4" in the scarlett with the switch on LINE.
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

For a short cable run the reality is that it is probably a mute point. (pardon the pun).

I am serious though about cable quality. It is hands down the most bang for the buck you can get. Invest in some good cables.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While cable quality is important, high price is not indicative of great quality. Mogami cables are great, but at the same gauge of wire and build Road Hog cables blow them away in value. Copper is copper, and a $60 cable with 24 gauge wire will sound identical to a $15 cable with 24 gauge wire (providing the build quality is comparable). Get good cables, yes, buy don't spend a million bucks...it's a waste of money.

The Road Hog cables have the EXACT same warranty as Monster Cable. Just bring em back, get a new one, no questions asked. They also have stellar build quality and gold plated connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: