VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO2013 ATLANTA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: VO2013 ATLANTA Reply with quote

VO2013 ATLANTA will be held March 21-24, 2013 in Atlanta, Georgia. The conference features:

- Pat Fraley, Keynote
- Nancy Wolfson
- Joan Baker
- Marc Cashman
- Julie Williams
- James Alburger
- Penny Abshire
- Gabrielle Nistico
- Rudy Gaskins

The conference will also hold a Voiceover Contest where someone will be awarded a home recording studio package including a new iMac, Professional Studio Microphone, and Digital Interface. Find details on the events website.

The cost for the conference is: $547
For more information, visit: http://vo2013atlanta.com

Smile
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a james and penny event? hard to discern ...
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: The event sponsors.... Reply with quote

Diane,

The event is sponsored by VoiceoverCity, LLC. James and Penny are presenters at the conference. They will be doing a presentation together and some activities individually. All of the attendees will have a chance to engage all of the presenters in both formal and informal settings.

It's going to be great! Smile http://vo2013atlanta.com

Diane Maggipinto wrote:
is this a james and penny event? hard to discern ...

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a plethora of voice conference opportunities that have an high degree of crossover with the same presenters and similar agendas...

Voice
VoiceWorld
That's Voiceover
VO

I'd be very grateful (as I'm sure many others would be as well) if you could sum up, in the proverbial nutshell, what is the unique selling point here? What is VO offering that the others maybe aren't? We all have finite budgets for conferences, marketing and networking... and to dig deep ($1500+ with fees, hotel & transportation) for (yet) another conference is a decision that needs to be made carefully. Please note that this forum is primarily populated with working professionals.

I appreciate you saying, "It's going to be great!"... but could we have a little more meat on the bone Smile

Thanks.
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the request for additional information. First, let me say that you're correct in that there are a number of voice conference opportunities taking place. Of course there was VOICE2012 (June 2012-California) and That's Voiceover (October 2012-Chicago). There's also Voiceworld (May 2013-Toronto).

To your question "What makes this event unique?" I'm glad you ask.

After way too many conversations than I would like to admit, the ideas that went into making VO2013 ATLANTA unique were many. Here are some of the things that make this unique:

- We wanted to provide an opportunity within the southeast region of the country for voice-talent to connect and grow.
- The sessions at VO2013 ATLANTA average between 1.5 and 2 hours in length so the presenters have time to actually introduce themselves, present a great program, and have time remaining for audience engagement.)
- Networking is a HUGE part of this conference and not an afterthought. Sessions have 30 minute breaks in-between so people have time to talk, network, use the restroom, etc.... before rushing into the next session. We've even included lunch on Friday and Saturday so there's no need to run out to get something to eat. Instead spend your time talking and learning from others.
- By design, the list of presenters represent different experiences and teaching methods within the voiceover industry. The idea is to give attendees a chance to find what works for them
- In addition to their main presentations, the presenters will be hosting a number of small group interactions that center around specific topics. For instance, Gabby Nistico, will be holding a small group session that talks specifically about Radio Imaging and Promotion. Julie Williams will be talking about Medical Narration. Nancy Wolfson will be doing a small group where she will be engaging talent as she reviews their demo and on-mic work up-close and personal. Very specific topics, for very specific needs. Pat Fraley will have his own small group session(s) that focuses on more advanced areas of voiceover. Each of the presenters have their additional roles on top of their main presentations.
- We've also included a VO contest to give attendees something to be a part of. The winner of that will get a very respectable package worth over $2,000 dollars, or more.

One of the other things to note about this event is that we actually have the people that run VOICE and That's Voiceover as presenters because they believe in what we're doing here in Atlanta. I think it says a lot about the conference when the people that host the two largest events in the country for VO (VOICE and That's Voiceover) are willing to be a part of VO2013 ATLANTA.

When it's all said and done, you should go home having done some important things; gained more knowledge about building your voiceover business (The Profession), improved your skills as a voiceover-talent (The Performance), connected with a number of other talent AND coaches/resources from around the voiceover industry (The People),

Thanks for your question. I hope I've shed a little more light on why coming to VO2013 ATLANTA will be worth the effort. I could say more, but I'd have to kill ya. Smile

If all that wasn't enough to convince you, I can only add that the food here is really good and the tea is really sweet.

Bish wrote:
There seems to be a plethora of voice conference opportunities that have an high degree of crossover with the same presenters and similar agendas...

Voice
VoiceWorld
That's Voiceover
VO

I'd be very grateful (as I'm sure many others would be as well) if you could sum up, in the proverbial nutshell, what is the unique selling point here? What is VO offering that the others maybe aren't? We all have finite budgets for conferences, marketing and networking... and to dig deep ($1500+ with fees, hotel & transportation) for (yet) another conference is a decision that needs to be made carefully. Please note that this forum is primarily populated with working professionals.

I appreciate you saying, "It's going to be great!"... but could we have a little more meat on the bone Smile

Thanks.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gerald, thank you for a comprehensive answer to my question. I'm sure a lot of people here will have a better idea of what it's all about now!
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Happy to share more about the conference. Reply with quote

No problem, Bish. We're still making little tweaks to our program, but we strongly believe we've included the very best elements of a productive and meaningful VO Conference that focuses on the attendees. The presenters are very excited about being there to share with those in attendance.

Hope you can join us. Smile http://vo2013atlanta.com

Special Invitation from Pat Fraley - http://youtu.be/GHodYQtqT9s

Bish wrote:
Hey Gerald, thank you for a comprehensive answer to my question. I'm sure a lot of people here will have a better idea of what it's all about now!

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose one could Google "Unique" and then continue to tweak.

The conference package to satisfy the average VO or newcomer tends to be: Find a few people who in their own right are not famous or well known but are considered to be by other VO people. Give the opportunity for plenty of mic time, largely useless but both entertaining and distracting. Ensure subjects covered in the sessions are tempting yet results can't be measured.

See if you can get anyone to speak on this topic - Zero to $50,000 per year in two years. You would be more likely to get takers to run an "Iranian Double Pause Masterclass".

I'm certain all who attend will have a bucket load of fun.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on that note, who from this forum is attending?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that too! By now people have arranged all manner of fun off campus meetings and adventures but I've not heard or read a word.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty quiet over on FaceBook as well. The usual suspects are going "rah, rah, rah", but to be honest, I think the tumbleweeds are rolling down Main Street. With days to go, they're offering cheap-as-chips hotel rates ($79) and 30% off registration. I could be wrong, but maybe the VO lemon has been squeezed a little too hard.

... or as Cornelius Ryan may have put it... A Conference Too Far.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, this is a Faffcon crowd.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee makes a valid point. I'm waiting for the day DB walks into FaffCon. It will be like Cleopatra entering Rome Wink

But, I still think there's an element of "enough already!" from the community at large. Facebook is a far wider pool, and I'm not seeing the buzz that usually surrounds these things. What are we up to now? Five or six conferencing opportunities per year. I think people are becoming far more selective considering that each of these (with fees, hotel, flight, bar, whatever) can cost a minimum of $2000 a pop. I'm not making any comment on the quality of the program offered here but, as was brought up earlier in this thread, what's "unique" about it? As far as I can see it's the industry selling to neophytes.

... and that may be completely unfair... but it's my perception, and perception is reality.
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm with Peter on this one. The market appears to be saturated with these types of things, imo.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the plethora conferences is only partly due to the VO industry itself. I used to be in the corporate world where there were conferences a'plenty... it was sometimes quite a lot of fun to arrive early for your own and gate-crash the previous one! The whole conference machine is now reaching out into very vertical markets. If I've got a large hotel with only half the rooms occupied during the "off" season, then there's a very strong business case to work with event planners to do whatever is required to get people to the venue. Professional event planners are almost as common as realtors now, and they work hand-in-hand with hotels to create these "can't miss" events for more-and-more specific (and, dare I say, hobby & wannabe) markets. The upshot of this is that the major "conference cities" are losing their stranglehold as they become saturated and somewhat over-priced, and if a vertical market can sustain three conferences, there will soon be six as everyone want a piece of the pie.

Back to the differentiators... by definition, these become clones of each other. In my opinion (and I know I'm preaching to the choir here) FaffCon is a unique event. It's peer-driven, and as such has a loyal following. It was designed to be different, and has accomplished it's goals. The problem is that it has become a victim of it's own uniqueness and has major issues with a rigid participant cap and over-subscription. I strongly suspect that due to the perceived failings of the generic clone conferences, someone will shortly try to emulate the FaffCon model. Bon chance.

Judging the saturation or tipping point of a market is a fine art and certainly not as easy as I'm making out. I could be completely wrong and as long as "VO'r'Us 2014" puts enough bums on seats and everyone makes a profit, who will care?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: