VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win7 install on Mac Mini w/no optical drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Win7 install on Mac Mini w/no optical drive Reply with quote

This may be a stretch but I'm desperate! And it's not really an audio issue but an accounting issue as my Quicken program needs Windows to operate. I've spent the last 2 days trying to get Win7 installed on my Mac Mini to no avail. I've got the HD partitioned ok but every time I go to boot into the windows drive the mini crashes. Because it's a mini server (1 drive is OS and the other one is time machine backup) there's no optical drive so I'm using an external drive to install the software. External drive is working properly as I had to install OSX a few times in this process. Mac says it's a windows problem but I call bullshit as I was able to get it past this point on my MBP with an internal optical drive. The hours of research says it might have something to do with trying to install Win7 from an external drive and the program not recognizing the .iso files needed to make this thing launch. So does anyone out there have any ideas or perhaps a sacrifice I can offer to a technical god that will let this effin software load for me? And maybe I can get some invoices out and pay some bills? T & P welcome too. Thanks!!!

Now what did I come in here for?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'm not an expert here, but I know these things...if you mean Quicken, not Quickbooks, the Mac version is cheap and in theory all your accounting data files from the PC version should be transferable to the Mac. There should be export and import command in both versions.

Quickbooks also makes a Mac version, but it's not so cheap.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pam,

I just converted from PC to Mac here as well and went through the same process. I had mega trouble trying to install Win 7 with Bootcamp. What I found was an aHobo Tounge called Parallels Desktop. It allows you to run Win 7 on top of OSX so that you have a virtual machine running at the same time as OSX. I have Quickbooks Pro, ACT and a few other Windoz aHobo Tounges running on that....flawlessly,

Counting down to "Faff-time"!
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chuck. I've used Parallels on my Macbook for some 7 years now. It's a good solution, but a pain to have to start up every day just to run Quicken Home & Business (there's no Mac version of that product). It's a better solution than Bootcamp, in my opinion.

Also I've read a number of sad stories about people who have attempted to move their data from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. You may want to do some research ahead of time if you're considering going that way.

Jim
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoring Quickbooks on the Mac was super simple. I do redundant backups. One to an internal drive and the second to a flash drive. I used the flash drive copy and got everything back in seconds. It was awesome!
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, I have the mac version of Quicken but it kinda sucks. I'm using Quicken Home and Business for my invoicing and there isn't a mac version of it.

Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into Parallels as an option. I just hate to spend another $80 on a piece of software! But I may have to bite the bullet. Thanks!

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam... I used to run Parallels, but VMWare is much better (IMO) and it's free... so it's worth trying first off as it's no risk.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we consolidate the duplicate posts?
VMWare FTW. I wish I stuck with that route 7 years ago instead of jumping ship on QH&B to MYOB Account Edge so I could be fully Mac native. A VERY expensive mistake, still paying a consultant years later to learn this beast. I just don't understand why Quicken/Quickbooks blows so bad on Mac.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has its quirks, but quickbooks for Mac works great for me. I have been a Mac guy the whole time though, so I don't know what I'm missing. Smile
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam wrote:
I'll look into Parallels as an option. I just hate to spend another $80 on a piece of software! But I may have to bite the bullet. Thanks!

If you go with Parallels 7 rather than with the new v8 you'll save some money. I think I saw it advertised the other day at around $35.

Jim
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Sort of. So here's what ensued...I happened to come across a post in the wee hours of the am on the apple support communities where someone was trying to bootcamp on an old iMac 3.1 and it kept crashing. Someone suggested unplugging everything except 1 mouse, 1 keyboard and 1 monitor. Well I had an external HD, a 2nd monitor, my mBox and a partridge in a pear tree hooked up to the mini. I rebooted with all that taken off and I was able to get past the black screen. It seems win7 was trying to figure out which monitor to access. I was able to get it all configured just peachy keen at about 3am that morning with bootcamp and Hm&B is up and running and waiting for me to balance the checkbook. But today, another problem arose. So all you experts, please see my follow up post and read with ominous music looping in your noggin...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: