VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static Saga

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Static Saga Reply with quote

[moved to GEAR ~admin]
Hi, Folks. I’m wondering if any of you who are more savvy than I am with the technical end of audio recording might have a suggestion for me. A few months ago I started noticing occasional static while recording. Sometimes it was just in my headphones and not actually in the recording, other times it was audible and imbedded into the recording. It was so infrequent I’d tell myself that when I was less busy I’d look into it. Of course, as we never get less busy, I never looked into it. Recently the occurrences increased dramatically to the point where it’s very bothersome. I’ve done tons of trouble shooting attempts including:
- Changing cables
- New mic
- New pre-amp
- New cables
- Upgraded software
- Plugged everything into a different outlet
- Moving my computer to a different spot
- Changing the serge protector
- Praying

I use SoundForge 9 on a Windows 7 64bit PC, which has worked fine for a long time. I downloaded the trial version of SoundForge 10 and still had the problem. The new mic is the MXL VO:1-A condenser mic with the CEntrance MicPort Pro. While they’re better quality than what I was using, they didn’t resolve the issue (but at least I have better gear).

I read on another post about a similar problem to try and adjust the buffering settings, SoundForge doesn’t give me that option with this mic. As much as I like SoundForge for the most part, they are terrible as far as offering product support. Any ideas? Thanks for listening. Even if we don’t get a solution, it’s nice to vent to folks who “feel my pain” – lol! Joni
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing (Praying) is always the best thing, no matter what the problem.

Take a good look at your cable run; are cables parallel to each other or cross over power lines? Take a good look at the MHobo Tounge's USB cable - replace it if necessary, use a shorter shielded cable if possible. There may be a short in the MHobo Tounge, start by moving the cable around and watch to see if the MHobo Tounge's phantom power light goes on or off as you wiggle the USB cable.

You may double-check with SF Pro or the MHobo Tounge's aHobo Tounge as to buffering. There are several ways to change the buffering, especially of you are using ASIO.

Keep praying.

Oh, this post should be moved to: GEAR

Frank F
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest this is a result of having a virus checker or trojan/ spy checker open, being hooked to the internet while recording, having a bunch of programs open in your start menu, not having your pc sounds disabled, needing to defrag your hard drive, running out of space on your drive, using the same drive as your program, working and scratch drive, needing to use the Centrance ASIO driver or using the MS driver instead or a combination of the above.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys. It looks like it was the buffering. I figured out how to change it and moved it up to 10, which seems to have done the trick.

Thanks so much!

Joni
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having similar issues with an iMac 27" i5 with Echo AudioFire2, and after hours of troubleshooting, it turns out that the problem is the firewire port on that particular model of iMac. What's odd is it worked fine for several months.
Sometimes it just ain't the obvious thing...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: