VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad - a realistic option for portable recording?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie Cooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: iPad - a realistic option for portable recording? Reply with quote

I wonder if any of you can help - please?
I bought my iPad2 thinking I might be able to use it for emergency recording, but have discovered it just doesn't have the oomph to power my MBox. So now I'm looking at the AT2020USB, as one of it's key features for me is that it will work with the iPad.
I wondered if anyone has had any success using the iPad for recording - and how?
Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Natalie
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/06/30/video-using-an-audio-technica-usb-mic-with-an-ipad/

I wonder if that Apple Camera connection/adapter will work with the iPhone 4..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the design flaws with MBox is there is no external power supply port.
Relying on a USB port to power a preamp and Mic is a rather unreliable setup. And this is not just for the iPad this is for any computer. Use the external power supply if your interface has one- your dynamic rage will improve, and your computer's power supply will thank you.

One can or should use a powered USB hub. Also search the recent posts here, George posted something Beau Weaver came up with that was battery powered.

My thoughts on the iPad:
http://voiceoveraudio.blogspot.com/2011/07/ipad-as-recording-device.html

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.

Last edited by Mike Sommer on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played around with recording on the iPad and iPhone and it's pretty clunky.. I've since abandoned both methods in favor of a netbook. ( Hackintosh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Dell Mini 10v hackintosher myself, works fine.
I'd rather have a Macbook Air, but it's just too much to spend right now.
The iPad can be used, but like Mike said, it's an "early adopter" recording tool right now. Beau Weaver has done extensive testing with it, but he still prefers an Macbook Air.
I've got a few blog posts about his experiences here and here.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just brainstorming here, but the specs for the iPad don't feel solid enough to warrant using it as a recording tool. The Macbook Air is pretty darn solid for its small size as well.

Using an iPad as a controller for your primary recording computer is another thing though. Using the aHobo Tounge "Splashtop" to completely control your computer and viewing the desktop through your iPad. Control Pro Tools through that as well as having scripts available. Afaik, iPads are quiet as well. Perfect to have in your booth.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this are very simple, we are selling ourselves as Top VO pros and yet somehow believe that using an iPAD, a cheap mic and interface in the back of a Volvo with a dog blanket over our heads is providing a Top Pro service to clients, it isn't.

I accept that technical standards are changing but we must not allow professional standards to fall and at the moment far too many people are allowing that to happen.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
My thoughts on this are very simple, we are selling ourselves as Top VO pros and yet somehow believe that using an iPAD, a cheap mic and interface in the back of a Volvo with a dog blanket over our heads is providing a Top Pro service to clients, it isn't.

I accept that technical standards are changing but we must not allow professional standards to fall and at the moment far too many people are allowing that to happen.

Well said PB. Technical standards are changing; they're getting better. Hint; the pictures are now in HD...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valid point, HD pictures and so 5.6.1.2 Dolby SuperMegatastic Surround Sound 3D HD plus VAT naturally follows.

I'm told by those who know better than I that people will notice a drop in sound quality long before they notice a similar drop in picture quality.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that a good solid portable setup like the MB Air or Pro with an interface such at the Micport Pro plus a mic is so compact.....the reduced performance of the iPad doesn't seem to be worth the size/weight savings.

Speaking to the quality end of things, during our hurricane/power outage I was working from my MBPro/MBox2 set up...driving back and forth to a friends business to use his DSL to download scripts/upload finished projects. At one point I had to record a TV VO from my car in the parking lot. Quality was fine including an absence of excessive "roominess".
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be remembered that the USB connection to the iPad is via the camera connection kit, and microphone support is not official. (I have an old Samson USB mic that does not play nicely at all) ... to me, this means that an iOS upgrade could very quickly kill or modify the i/o port's capabilities. If you've got it working, fine, but I certainly would not purchase an iPad solely on the fact that it supports a particular mic at the moment (not that that's the issue here)

Personally, I've got a hankering for a used 13" MacBook Pro (intel/unibody). This will give me the the power/storage I need, access to my usual suite of programs and the f/w interface I need for my Duet. This should run me about the same as a 32GB iPad (eBay is your friend). This is not so much for a mobile rig (I tend to agree with Philip's points), but as an insurance policy against the MacPro taking an unplanned holiday.

Anyway... I've tried, but I cannot edit with a touchscreen or track-pad... I absolutely need a mouse. I just can't get the granularity I need with anything else.

Cheers
Peter
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is leading into a new discussion about WHY does one record outside of a studio at all? In my experience there's a small percentage of union talent who are required to be available in a 15 minute window 24x7. Those are forced by agents, management, or high living standards to make the gig, no matter what. George DelHoyo, Scott Rummell, Randy Thomas, Beau Weaver, and so on...

Howard Parker took his first vacation of more than a weekend in his entire VO career a few weeks ago and used a Macbook Air with an Apogee One, 416, Source Connect, and Skype. Thats how protective he is of his career. Obsessive? Maybe.

IMHO, everyone else is getting "caught up" in the mystique of it all. If you don't HAVE to, why bother? I wish I could take a vacation where I am off the grid for more than 24 hours, but I have a swath of clients who'd have a cow, so I know how it is...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the answer is simple. While I can scale back considerably to take vacation time, there are clients with whom I have long-standing, valuable relationships. Being able to take care of the odd special request or pickup makes life easier for those clients...and puts me in a very "nice light".

The flip side of that coin is making sure your not taken advantage of...I think I managed nicely with that balancing act on our last trip overseas.
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any feedback on this?

http://www.alesis.com/iodock
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing our subversive little side thread, I fell into this trap myself only last year; investing in a Dell Mini (nice!), mic-port pro and a Harlan Hogan porta-toilet (please!).

Took two weeks in Spain. Made enough money in two days to pay for the whole trip. But when I got back to Blighty I was mortified at the quality of audio I'd been sending out.

I'll never do that again. Work/life balance gets more and more important after 30 years at this and the poor quality audio I get on the road harms my reputation far more than skipping a few sessions.

If you can't take a holiday, kick back, relax and rejuvinate, what's the bloody point of it all? It saddens me that fear is becoming the dominant driver in our craft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: