VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dueling pre's or Nice Fit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Dueling pre's or Nice Fit? Reply with quote

Hey all,

*Disclaimer: Like many out here, I am not an audio engineer…not even close. I know just enough to produce pretty good audio. Please forgive my naivety.

The mic pre shootouts and like discussions have been very timely and informative for me.

I've been using a DBX286a for over a year, and have the settings just about where I need them for my uses. I read Bill Campbell's suggested "9:30" settings, and will test them out tomorrow. Apparently, these settings worked out nicely in Tom Test's trial and got some good feedback out here.

Striving to better my product, I've been considering picking up a Golden Age pre 73, thinking that it may bring a bit more 'punch' to the table…

I do like the processor on the DBX. The gate is great for dialing out any unwanted sound.

Here is the question *(please refer to the Disclaimer): Could I combine these two pre's with any successful outcome to get the best from each?
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling pre's or Nice Fit? Reply with quote

markt wrote:
I've been considering picking up a Golden Age pre 73, thinking that it may bring a bit more 'punch'... I do like the processor on the DBX. The gate is great for dialing out any unwanted sound.

Could I combine these two pre's with any successful outcome to get the best from each?

You could but that would be defeatists. The same problem that occurred in Tom's pre shoot out would happen by this "Bi Preamp" set up- one preamp will color or augment the other.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike! I'm guessing that the 'coloring or augmenting' you speak of would be an undesirable thing, right?
Shock
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Potentially the same dual-pre issue Reply with quote

I sort of have - potentially - the same dual-pre issue: Right now I'm running the mic right into my laptop using a Blue Icicle, which is ok (it was given to me free), but I have a Symetrix 528 (not *E*) I'd love to use, but I still need to have the interface for the computer, and the Icicle is it.

I was going to post a question about the possible issues of *doubling up* on pre's - Symetrix into Blue Icicle into laptop - but Mike answered it: one preamp will color or augment the other.

Can anyone suggest a good interface that isn't also a pre, and also isn't a ton of cash?
www.whodidthatmedia.com
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this is where I guess I'm not getting it. Having the GA73 contribute some color and 'augmentation' was kind of what I thought might be a good thing. I was hoping for having these two pre's compliment one another. 'Best of both, ya know?

Maybe combining pre's is often a bad idea. I sure don't know...

Ultimately, I'll take the feedback of those in the know to heart.

(I have a suspicion that someone may use the phrase "Bi-Pre curious' on this topic...)
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Potentially the same dual-pre issue Reply with quote

Shock wrote:
I was going to post a question about the possible issues of *doubling up* on pre's - Symetrix into Blue Icicle into laptop - but Mike answered it: one preamp will color or augment the other.

Can anyone suggest a good interface that isn't also a pre, and also isn't a ton of cash?

Not sure about the 528-non "E" version, but on the 528E I bypass the pre section, going line in from my preamp & then using the Symetrix just for downward expansion to manage BG noise along with a bit of EQ.... No "2-Pre" circuitry involved.

dwpthe3rd
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm guessing that the 'coloring or augmenting' you speak of would be an undesirable thing, right?

Yes, it can be. It would be like mixing different wines in the same glass. What you have will still be wine, but the complexities of each will be lost and may not be as enjoyable as the each of the wines on there own.

Let's then look at compressors. Compressors, for all intent a purposes, are amplifiers. These amplifiers can be clean to colored. A compressors like the LA2A for example are cherished for the tone and sound that they bring to the mix. Just running a signal through the LA2A without compression will add an extra dimension to the audio.

BUT let's understand something. Compressors are designed to take line level in, and that's the diffrence.

So if you're running the audio from let's say the GAP, into the DBX 286a you may get louder but you may not get anything special. There can also be impedance problems because you are feeding line level out from one pre into what it normally mic level impedance, things can load up and distort or create other problems - like hiss or noise. Levels can get very hot and distort, again not a good thing.

Can you do it? SURE. But not me.

Quote:

If you have Firewire, the Echo Audiofire2 is an excellent unit.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.

Last edited by Mike Sommer on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mike...

Mark
Shock
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mike. I'll look into your suggestion for an interface.
www.whodidthatmedia.com
Jason Bishop
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a talent who got in an interface bind and ended up running her preamp through her MicPortPro with the gain on the MHobo Tounge all the way down so as not to add extra gain.
She did note that she had to lower the gain on the preamp a couple clicks so that's evidence I suppose that even wtih the MHobo Tounge gain all the way down it is still adding some gain.
She asked me to listen to the audio and I thought it sounded clean with no extra buzz/fuzz/coloration and later she said her clients had no issues.
She of course later solved her interface problem but it was interesting to see that in at that one case, the mixture worked.
Martial Artist & Philosopher
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MHobo Tounge has a Class A preamp, which means that its never really "off".. its basically "idling" until you feed a signal thru it...so regardless of whether you have the gain on the MHobo Tounge up or down, you're still running it through the pre on the MHobo Tounge, nonetheless...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess we've come back to my original topic of pairing-up pre's...
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I'm going tot take a MHobo Tounge apart and see what's really inside.

My guess two IC chips- with an Op amp for sure. Not much room for anything else.

D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: But... Reply with quote

..if one does not have firewire, what are some good yet inexpensive AD interfaces (USB) without preamps?

Last edited by D Voice on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define inexpensive.

There are a lot of cheap / inexpensive USB interfaces. Then for a few hundred dollars more there are some USB interfaces that will put you in a better place - in terms of audio quality.

If you have a tower computer you can install a Firewire card for just a few dollars.

But you need to figure out: do you want to get by, or do you want to sound good? Each has it's own price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: