VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording directly into laptop-while on Vacation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstaji
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: USB mic Reply with quote

I just use a USB AT2020 plugged into my laptop and record using Adobe Audition.

I find that recording with a monitor infront of me creates a little too much echo for my taste so I try to either read off my iphone's much smaller screen or print it out and use a LED flash light to read from under the blanket & covers.

I don't like taking expensive mics on the road so the AT2020 usb mic is great... and under $100
twitter: @mahmoudtaji
Todd Ethridge
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought an old hard plastic suitcase from the 70's. I lined it with some decent soundproofing foam and when I travel, the case carries my gear. But then I set up in the hotel room, turn the suitcase on it's side and open it, creating a padded box to place the mic in. Then drape a bedspread or blanket over and it works great.

I was actually surprised at how good it sounded on my first test run. Smile
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool idea!

I once set up a laptop and mic inside one of those big armoires in the hotel room. It was supposed to have a TV in it, but didn't, and once I padded it up with the blanket and towels, it was a amazingly quiet.
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering about traveling with a shotgun mic like the 416. Carryon or checked? Any issues with TSA?

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
SteVO
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.And make sure car is not being used for...other things. Wink
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has ever asked me about my microphone when I've traveled with it. But then again, I'm not traveling with a shotgun...

c
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
Any issues with TSA?

Donna,

I open my 416 microphone case and lay it flat in one of the grey TSA bins. Now, they look and see what it is and generally don't give me any grief about it. Or, if I'm going to check a bag I will put it in the checked bag. Could be a big problem if my bag is ever lost, but so far that's not happened.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. I want to take it along, but just can't bring myself to check it through. We've been through so much together, the least I can do is let it ride coach with me. Wink

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: MicPort Pro and Windows 2010? Reply with quote

Hello all! I'm a brand newbie to the VO-BB and happy to have been included. Such a great resource...

Been considering the MicPort Pro, but does anyone know if it is compatible with Windows 2010? May have to call the manufacturer to be sure. Listing says Vista, but I'm on Windows 2010 Beta and am wary...
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I travel with my 416 all the time. TSA usually wants to take a closer look at the bag my recording gear is in (and sometimes run it through the x-ray machine a second time), but it's never been more than a couple of extra minutes.

They usually recognize the 416 as a microphone just by viewing the x-ray image on their monitor. They've never been able to figure out what the MicPort Pro is, though, and always take it out of the bag for inspection.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel a ton and my experience is much like Doug's. I carry the 416 on and put it, in its case, in the gray TSA bin. I should follow Bob's example and open the case as I've had them try to open it upside down. I could just see it dropping to the floor. I think it's a pretty tough mic but I'd probably have a heart attack right there in security.

My carry-on often gets extra scrutiny because of all the laptop wires, cable locks, hard drives, mic port pro, iPod, etc. I expect it and leave extra time and haven't had any real issues. Well, except for that time I tried to carry a .22 bullet through O'Hare, but that's another story (and something I don't recommend you try.)
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: MicPort Pro and Windows 2010 Reply with quote

According to Michael Goodman, Mng Dir of CEntrance, MicPort Pro is "standard compliant" meaning that it's compatible with any version of Windows, because it shows up as a standard audio device.

So if a generic Skype headset works, then the MicPort Pro will also work. I'm good to go!
Chrissy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making a copy of the page from the company you bought the MicPort Pro describing what it is and show that at the airport? Might save some time and win you some friends.
Nikki
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you folks flying and carrying your laptops with you, I love those TSA compliant laptop bags. I used to hate taking mine in and out and moving stuff around, putting it back in, ect.

The TSA Checkpoint bags you just open the bag, lay it flat, scan it, close it, zip, you're gone.

The only thing you have to watch is that in the 'Checkpoint' section of the bag ONLY the laptop can be in there. Cords, wire, ect, ect. can be stuffed in other parts of the bag. I carry a lot of accessory equipment and haven't had an issue yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: