VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source Connect Bridge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukevoice1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Source Connect Bridge Reply with quote

Thought some of you may want to know that Source Connect is offering a bridging service for people who still use that ancient and antiquated ISDN technology. It's half the price you can find anywhere else.

On ISDN, would you buy a computer that was made in 1970? Think about it.

-Dukee out
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I held Source Element's feet to the fire about running an ISDN bridging service. They insist it is not a Source Elements venture, but rather a venture of Robert Marshall of Source Elements.
I hope it works out well and that there's enough business for everyone!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder

Last edited by georgethetech on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Source Connect Bridge Reply with quote

dukevoice1 wrote:
that ancient and antiquated ISDN technology. ...

Yes, the technology that is the automobile is well over 100 years old, but until they perfect the wireless, hands-free transport pod and everyone's got one, we're going to keep driving our cars, thank you.

And your analogy to a 1970 computer is way off the mark. ISDN and SC provide the same end result.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to remind us of this forum's policy of not dissing one type of equipment or service over another.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Source Connect Bridge Reply with quote

dukevoice1 wrote:

-Dukee out

Dukee,

If a number of your clients kindly requested that you record their audio using one of those 1970 computers, (because that's what they're comfortable with, and because doing anything else would require them to make changes in their equipment that they weren't willing to make) would you? Think about it.
dukevoice1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: SC vs isdn Reply with quote

I side with what is clearly superior in sound, bandwidth, Installation costs, purchase price, portability and cost of operation. Having used isdn for over 30 years I understand clients who just can't let go of their 'rotary dial phones'. That's why I wrote to tell you that you can keep them happy and keep your costs minimal by bridging through Source-Elements.com
No, I am not paid to endorse SC. I just want to help the community deliver better audio and save money.
That 70s thing, was a joke. -Duke
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke,

I'm right there with you...been using ISDN for years, and completely agree about the benefits of SC.

But as long as my clients prefer ISDN, it's fine with me.
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ISDN. For what we use it for, it works great and the fact that it doesn't demand any of CPU resources or clutter my screen with one more thing to click around in is a major plus, provided you roll with a hardware unit like the Zephyr.

I will hate ISDN when I move, thus I secretly and selfishly hope it will go the way of the dinosaur before then.

What surprises me, is that Source Connect has not yet released a post-Windows XP version. Sure, the basics work with a few tweaks, but there are elements that do not function (at least for me) under the new OS's. For instance, the built-in recorder in SC Desktop doesn't record.
dukevoice1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Crappity Crap Crap Reply with quote

Can I say that? I made a mistake folks. This bridge between isdn and Source Connect thing is NOT part of the Source Elements Company. As George alluded to, it is a separate venture. It works like this.
It's 35 bucks. You reserve it in advance. Your clients dial up the numbers, just like any isdn session and voila, you are all the way LIVE! No equipment to buy, no installation and it's totally portable. If you're interested in finding out more about it, here are the digits:

ISDNBridge@gmail.com
phone (847) 859-9519
Source Elements username is ISDN
ISDN numbers are 847-869-7883 and 847-869-7892
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crappity Crap Crap Reply with quote

dukevoice1 wrote:
It's 35 bucks.

Hey Pat, is that per hour?
dukevoice1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: 35 bucks Reply with quote

Okay it's 35 bucks an hour if you set it up at least 2 hours in advance. If you don't preschedule it, it's 49 bucks AND you can get bumped by someone who is already ON the schedule. So, the thing to do is get it on the schedule as soon as you book your job. Good question.

I need one of those cool tag lines like you guys have... how bout?

Pat Duke
"WELL TRAVELED GRAVEL"
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!! THREADJACK ALERT !!!

Quote:
"WELL TRAVELED GRAVEL"

Actually, Pat, that's a great tag line...descriptive, evocative and unique.

!!! THREADJACK ALERT - OVER !!!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, accurate! Good line, Pat.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've offered incentives to any talent who's successfully convinced a major commercial studio to add Source Connect, and no one has taken me up on it. It has some obvious advantages in quality to audio that is squashed into a 128 kbps ISDN pipe. ISDN will disappear someday. It is inevitable. After all, the last telegram was sent and service was terminated quietly a few years ago.

I will be taking note of all the different audio over IP technology while I am walking the halls of NAB this week. There are more of them all the time. However, so far the various brands of devices speak different languages (and that is changing as well). Source Connect seems the leader in the voice-over and music industries, mainly due to the minimal up-front cost.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
schrecster
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath on ISDN going away. Until IP is more reliable and has a better packet loss recovery, ISDN will be the way to go. any time you let your data go into that great mystery they call the "IP CLOUD" you are going to experiece some sort of data/packet loss. ISDN is a direct connect path between two sources and much more reliable is dealing with data transmission.

I am not saying it will never go away, but for now, ISDN is not going anywhere.
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert and have no predictions about if/when ISDN will go away.

I can tell you that my Source Connect is up and running GREAT (thanks George!) Did a session yesterday, no problems. Today? Drop out after drop out (which I'm pretty sure wasn't on my end). With the client in the studio, the producer asked, "Do you have ISDN?" Yes. The relief was evident and our session continued over ISDN.

Until it is perfect, it isn't going to be standard in my most humble and uneducated opinion.

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: