VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marketing / job seeking tips.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Marketing / job seeking tips. Reply with quote

Couple of things I've found handy that could work anywhere..

1 - Rather than send your demo to a studio and call them 1 week later asking "did you have a chance to listen to it? What did you think?", call them before you send your demo, asking if you could come, look at their facilities, as you have an out-of-town client that requires you to voice and send them quality stuff, and you're searching for a studio and rates, etc. They should drop what they're doing to book an appointment with you, during which you leave your demo. You're not lying to them, as you may just indeed need their services, and it's always a good idea to have a studio or two and producer (engineer) in your back pocket for when you need them. (Smaller to medium sized studios best for this.)

2 - Type your location into a search engine, followed by "communications" and / or "productions". Whenever somebody starts up a new media thing (such as wedding videos, corporate CD ROMS, etc.) they always call themselves "such & such communications, or "such & such productions". Realize that most will go for a website over an expensive Yellow Pages ad or industry magazine ad. Do a bit of follow up research and find out if they use voices, and if not, then offer your demo.

3 - Your local college or University (and why is college spelled with a small c, yet University with a capital U ?) always has an a/v (audio / video or audio / visual) department, doing projects for overseas, local contributions, etc. They usually don't deal with 'professional' voices, yet will be blown away with your demo - provided it's professionally produced.

4 - Your local Chamber of Commerce (Do they call it the same outside of Canada?) Anyway, them cigar smoking, brandy sniffing, old bald guys. See if there's a function / advertising opportunity / mailing list, that you could get onto. Usually free as they want to encourage business connections.

I encourage anyone to be creative. Get the client, and you've got it made. Beg for others to get you voicework is really lame, and so many don't realize it. I've had much success with these tips.

Please share any 'secrets' you may have! I won't steal them...right away.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Den, the reason university was capitalised is that you accidentally pressed the shift key when you typed it. Otherwise it would have been lower case as it should be. Both get capitals when they are part of a name, like Smith College or University of British Columbia, otherwise they are lower case. That's my pedantry for the day.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way-- I tried your trick of googling the name of my town along with "communications" and was amazed to find a few more companies I had not yet seen before, some of which profess to use audio and all of which are within a few miles of me. I keep thinking I've surely found them all, and then I find some new mother lode of lists of producers, multimedia companies, web designers, sound recording studios, and so on.

Also, I used to think of email as something that you could do any time; a few months ago John Miles who may or may not have made it over here from the old board mentioned that he emails on TueWThu but not Monday and Friday. I have tried to stick to that, more or less, but this morning in my enthusiasm at having found 19 more sound recording studios last night I fired off all the emails. I usually get maybe half a dozen replies (at most) on the same day if I send out that many emails, but today has been pretty dead. D'oh! It's Friday. I don't know where they all are, but they don't seem to be at the computer. That means it will be Monday or Tuesday before they have a chance to see my email, and their inbox will be so stuffed there's a good chance mine will get overlooked.

The other thing John told me was to send my mp3 in a separate email, after mentioning in the first one that it would be coming. I also tell them I'll send them a CD if they request it, or that they can go to my website if they prefer not to open an attachment. After sending out hundreds of such emails I have not gotten any complaints. Email has been very good to me, although I must say that some of the nicest interactions have been when I couldn't find an email address and used the telephone.

Thanks for your tips Den-- there is always something to learn (especially for us greenhorns).

Mary
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: tHanks mAry. Reply with quote

Can always rely on you to put things right in this here English language!

Yeah, NEVER send an MP3 or other email format demo unless you've warned them ahead of time. As well, a CD is always better than a computer file that either gets deleted, or finds it's way down the screen. A face-to-face is always better than a sent package. Even dropping your package off in person to the receptionist is better than mailing a package, though that's not always an option, especially for out-of-town marketing.

(Get in their face! Meet people. Most are cool.)
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some questions regarding the little details of VO life.

How often do you contact people who say, we're interested in your voice but don't have anything for you right now? Is every 3 months often enough? Too often?

Is it any different for someone who says, I really like your voice and think it would be good for Project X; then it turns out that Client X chose a different voice? Should I still wait the 3 months before contacting them again? Or 1 month???

Do you ever contact someone again who says, we don't anticipate needing voice talent EVER?

What do you do when somebody says, you have a great voice but it isn't the kind our clients ever ask for? This happened recently and I would like to call them to talk about what their clients do ask for and get a script and try to do the kind of read they look for. I'm up against this not infrequently because my voice is kind of light and people think I can't do what they want (and since my demo reflects "light" who can blame them for thinking that?).

By the way, did you know you can buy paper made from elephant dung? I just found that out today and feel that everyone should know.

http://www.elephantdungpaper.com/
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Here are some questions regarding the little details of VO life.

How often do you contact people who say, we're interested in your voice but don't have anything for you right now? Is every 3 months often enough? Too often?

No, probably not.

Is it any different for someone who says, I really like your voice and think it would be good for Project X; then it turns out that Client X chose a different voice? Should I still wait the 3 months before contacting them again? Or 1 month???

Happened to me yesterday. Got an email to the effect: "I really think you have great talent, " he exclaimed! "...but I went with another voice." I thought to myself, "WTF?!" It was for a small job. But still it pissed me off. He said he'll get back to me when he has another project. I resisted the urge to write back: "Well, apparently not 'great' enough." Wait 1.5 months. Splt the difference.

Do you ever contact someone again who says, we don't anticipate needing voice talent EVER?

Yes. Ya move on.

What do you do when somebody says, you have a great voice but it isn't the kind our clients ever ask for? This happened recently and I would like to call them to talk about what their clients do ask for and get a script and try to do the kind of read they look for. I'm up against this not infrequently because my voice is kind of light and people think I can't do what they want (and since my demo reflects "light" who can blame them for thinking that?).

Mary I hire talent all the time. It's part of my real job. Most of the time I can't explain what the hell I'm looking for. But when I pop the tape in the machine I know it when I see it and hear it. It's called the X-Factor. Tomrrow, that same producer will get a client in who needs "light". Then you'll be flavor of the month. They (me too) are producers/ casting agents, etc. We generally got our heads up our keesters.

By the way, did you know you can buy paper made from elephant dung? I just found that out today and feel that everyone should know.

Yes. I knew that. I save it for only when I pitch my best clients. Because they deserve the best.

http://www.elephantdungpaper.com/
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy is spot on, the X factor is a huge factor, but ....mcm, you say your demo reflects "light" can you do other styles?

If so, your demo should reflect that.

I know from my background in TV news that my demo then was a montage of my best work to date, but some of the best advice I have gotten in the VO forums is that your demo should be a demostration of what you CAN do, not what you have done.

Unfortunately I have yet to heed that advice myself. My last demo was a montage of work I have done, not what I could do, save for one or two cuts.

(the for hire VO aspect of my career has been given short shrift of late and it is time for a jump start)
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: The long and winding road... Reply with quote

Must agree with all. Being a producer, like Andy, I can hear one thing, the writer / client / agent, another. Personally, I'm against trying to 'change' anything (voice-wise) to please a client or potential client. Remember, a lot of times it's a crap shoot. (Outside of an audition that is.)

Only YOU can deliver in your style. Only YOU can sound the way you do, so focus on the acting and believability (sp? mcm will correct me if it's not), and don't worry about your actual voice. It's fine. As Andy wisely states, "tomorrow..you'll be the flavour of the month". And everybody will be trying to capture "your sound". It's really odd how voices are chosen or not chosen. Could be anything. Jealous co-worker, boss's daughter, friend of a friend. Somebody should start a thread on that subject! Musn't forget the 'Good ol' Boys Club' that exists in every city. If you want an example, turn on the TV, listen to national spots, turn your eyes away from the flashy video, and you'll hear odd projects with 'crap' voicing! How did THEY get that? (They were probably the friend of a friend that dated the Boss's daughter and is now living with the jealous co-worker.)

Also, I think it was our esteemed WebMistress that said something about knocking on those doors every quarter (3 months). There's no bible subject on this, but having worked in studios, that seems to be fine. Again, I encourage, try to establish a relationship. Keep notes on conversations, and mention their golf game or are they over that flu, kid out of jail yet, or whatever ties you in with the previous conversation. (Not phoney). But bug 'em? Sure! If you're respectful and sincere, it's not a problem, and admirable!

How does a studio or agency know that "they're clients never use YOUR voice"? Next time that happens, give us the phone number, and we'll all start calling and asking if they have anyone with a 'soft' voice. (Dicks. :x )sorry Mom.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance and for the righteous indignation. Den, I'll handle your mom for you. I ought to keep my VO coach's words in mind-- he always says, don't let producers mess with your mind. You can let them drive you crazy if you're not careful. This morning I got "You've got a very pleasing and soothing voice that sounds assuring and intelligent. Could you send me a demo cd for my files" That ought to get me through the times when they say "nobody will ask for your voice, but we'll keep your demo on file because we know a good voice when we hear it" Confused

In the meantime, I need to learn to talk like Andy:

Quote:

No, probably not.

:o

Love you all.

MCM
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk like me? I tone it down for the censors. TV news, VO Biz, it's all pretty much the same. After 25 years, I've developed a very healthy FU attitude. And ya know what to say if they can't take a joke.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
And ya know what to say if they can't take a joke.
Starts with "F", ends with "'em" and truer words were never spoken.

Now on to the marketing part.

I was complimented this week by a "big city" prospect who called me tenacious.

Why?

I started Googling around as I am wont to do, came across some fish and dropped my line in the form of an e-mail. Phone call follow up with this particular marlin (as well as most of the other ones as well) was a polite TBNT from her. Saying thanks, I hang up, craft a letter, drop in a CD, she opens her mail and she's like...ok this fella's got moxy.

Did I get a job yet...no. Does she know who I am now? Yes.

I believe half the battle is now won. Consistent persistent, professional...it pays off in ways demos never can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: tenacity i wish i could master Reply with quote

one of the standard stories i heard when i (luckily) got to meet mel blanc was how he got into the cartoon biz.

he recounted his visit to the office where he was told, "i'm sorry, we have all the voices we need." he said he kept going back every other week...for a year and a half!

"i'm sorry, we have all the voices we need." "well, won't you even take a listen and see what i can do?" "i'm sorry, we have all the voices we need."

"finally," mel continued, "this guy died...." (he waited for laughs, which always happened, then added) "...yeah, i laughed too!"

i don't pretend to have a tenth of mel's talent, but i wish i had even half his moxie!
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Client Exclusivity Reply with quote

In my quest to save electrons, I'm posting this question here rather than starting a new thread.

What are the VO talent's constraints in doing broadcast ads? Can you voice anything for anybody in the town of Springfield USA as long as they are not competing products? Or do you have to stick to one client? If you can do anything that isn't competing, is it reasonable for a producer or agency to ask you to be exclusive to one client?

Thanks--

Mary
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a slut. I do work for three agencies in my town. No restrictions. The last spot I did is airing in four markets here in North Texas. They did ask If I had anything going for a similar business. Since I didn't , no problem. I have done a couple where the restrictions are spelled out in the buyout agreement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: