VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The $100 LDC...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: The $100 LDC... Reply with quote

Oh dear, it's another "Help me Obi-Wan" question Wink

I've got a $115 Buy.com credit burning a hole in my pocket, so I started to look at what they had available in the way of lower-priced condenser mics. My $100-$150 short list (completely dictated by what they sell) is:

AT2020 (no mount)
MXL V67G (no mount)
AT2035 (complete with spider mount)
Edit:
I've added the MXL V88 to the list of contenders (thanks Tom)

I've seen good reviews here for both the AT2020 and the V67G. I find myself drawn to the V67G... but I just know it's because of the green/gold design! I've found nothing here about the AT2035, but elsewhere it's reviewed favourably against the 2020. As I will no doubt get a mount anyway, it seems like a good deal.

Mid-range male voice (certainly not basso profondo)... I'm looking for something for narration etc. - no high-energy spots or hard-sell promo. I'm currently interfacing directly into a Mackie 1202-VLZ3, but there is a DBX 286A in my near future. I'm currently using a Heil PR40.

The AT2035 looks like an interesting option... does anyone here have any experience with one?

Edit: I just found a Sound On Sound review of the 2035, and the main differences seem to be the inclusion of switchable 10db pad & 80Hz roll-off, and (more importantly), 8dB lower noise and higher SPL rating than the 2020.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Bish on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the next level up, an AT3035, and it's a great starter mic.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price, the Studio Projects B1 is really very nice. For a little more, the MXL V88 is terrific. I have the AT 2050 and think it sounds far thinner than the V88.
www.tomtest.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Test wrote:
... For a little more, the MXL V88 is terrific.

Thanks Tom, I missed that one... around $130 at Buy.com (with case and mount) certainly puts it in there at the right price. I'll add it to the list of possibles.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I'm pretty sure the AT205 is the AT2035, but with more pickup patterns and a slightly lower output. They basically sound the same, and the V88 sounds much better on my voice. Send me a PM with your e-mail - I might have some sound files I can send you comparing the two mics.
www.tomtest.com
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a sound file of the AT 2020 let me know.
CurtZHP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple AKG Perception series mics that might fit the bill as well. I've heard good things about them.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I love my AKG 200 (since replaced by the 220). I did a 6 mic shootout for "high energy reads," and the AKG 200 beat out the TLM-103, SM-7B and AT4047 among others. It came in 2nd place and was my personal fave. The winner? A $99 MXL 909!

(This is getting confusing, isn't it?)
www.tomtest.com
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former Heil user and kool-aid drinker, I think you'll be very happy with a v88 or the AT offerings. The v67g is pretty and good sounding but the self noise is a touch high and it's not the most "focused" sounding mic out there. The SP B1 is a good choice too.

The Heil is a great mic for instruments (guitar cabs and kick drums) but it has unnatural graininess for voice. I use an e935 for a dynamic now.

I'll say it now so others won't have to: going to a LCD you ought to seriously consider working on your acoustic environment.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use an at2020 with my travel rig and have had no complaints - for the tiny amount of $$$ it's an all around workhorse kind of mic.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something that isn't wowing me about the Heil... I think I drank the kool-aid as well. I feel the need to be able to quantify my uncertainty and hence my urge to get a "reasonable" LDC to do some serious comparison testing as to what suits my voice. I've short listed the AT2035 and the V88 as these are effectively "free" because of my Buy.com credit. The SP B-1 would be there, but Buy.com doesn't carry it.

One of the reasons I went dynamic in the first place was the supposed lower susceptibility to environmental noise. My basement "studio" suffers little from external noise, but it does house my Mac and ancillary equipment. Although it's all pretty quite, there is a cumulative effect of the fans and four drives in the Mac and a four-drive Drobo (which usually gets powered down during recording sessions as it's quite noticeable when the fan cuts in). I've pretty much got most of it under control, and although still a little too live, I'm working on it. I know any LDC will make my environment more of an issue and the acoustic treatment is an on-going process.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for the AT2035, though I have not used one. The 2020 (which I have) is pretty darn good for the price.
But, the 80hz HP filter and shock mount will come in handy for keeping down
noise for audio books and narration.

The frequency pattern on the 2020 and 2035 are a bit different. If accurate, the pattern on the 2035 looks promising for a flattering sound.

The new holy grail, at $699, COULD be the Neumann TLM-102. Getting good reviews.

Lance, hurry up and buy one!!
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what clips I've heard, the TLM 102 sound way better on voice than the TLM 103...a mic that was released back in what, 1997?

I won't be buying one though anytime soon, I'm really happy with my SP CS5.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the "free mic" issue is solved. Hopping back and forth over the short list, my mind was made up by the fact that the MXL V88 was in stock and the other option wasn't. Not the greatest criteria to use, but I treated it as a tie-breaker. Worst case... it costs me a 15% restocking fee. Bottom line was $122 no tax, free shipping... and with my coupon (bonus points on my Buy.com Visa card)... I'm out of pocket a big $8 Smile

Oh, and I'm on a roll... yesterday, I managed to pick up a dbx 286a (with returns accepted) from eBay for $102

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Cheers
Peter
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good purchase. The 286A will help tailor your sound and the expander will keep noise down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: