VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Processors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Voice Processors Reply with quote

I saw some discussions here regarding the gadgets. I've been inspired to think about adding one to my set-up. I got involved in an Ebay auction for a Symetrix 528, buuuuut the bidding got too rich for my blood. Now, I've got my eye on a Behringer Ultravoice VX2496. Some dude has one listed on Ebay for $124. That's a sham, as I can get a new one from my gear supplier for less than $100. If'n I rig up one of these bad boys to either my mixer or from my mixer, will I be able to grab all those Monster Truck gigs from Mitch Phillips? :lol:
Latech70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been involved in at least three ebay auctions for the 528E and have lost all of them. Ah, well. I'm currently watching the only one I could find currently on there. On the bright side, they do seem to turn up out there on a rather regular basis. So, who knows, maybe we'll luck up and get a really good deal on one. :wink:
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become highly suspicious of the bidding process on ebay. In several serious bidding contests where the bid exceeded the level I was willing to go beyond, I ultimately received emails from the seller telling me that the winning bidder could not comply with the bid, and that I was eligible to purchase the unit for my last bid.

I never bothered responding. To me, the sellers obviously are bidding against everyone else to drive the price up.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm highly suspicious as well. I dropped out of the bidding on the 528e when the same guy kept jacking up the price in the last thirty minutes of the auction. The process wasn't going anywhere I wanted to be. Besides, I'm not sure I need a processor anyhoo, as my Cool Edit Pro's Dynamics features appear to be somewhat myriad. It's just a matter of taking a few hours a week and toying with the possibilities. Like today, I discovered the marvels of the de-essers.
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I know 5 different voices in The Netherlands who have a Behringer VX2496 in their home studio setup. It's not the car, it's the driver here... very reasonable features for hardly any money...

Not particularly fond of the 528E because of al its overshoots. Suitable for broadcast applications in a CHR environment, but not too recommendable for recording purposes.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know, Edo. I haven't ruled out the Behringer. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) the one I'm looking at, at the price I want is on backorder. I still like the idea of processing as I cut the wave than after. Even with CE's marvels, every pass with the effects options degrades the overall wave quality.
Latech70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Not particularly fond of the 528E because of al its overshoots. Suitable for broadcast applications in a CHR environment, but not too recommendable for recording purposes.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is CHR? Contemporary Hit Radio?

And, could you please elaborate about these overshoots of which you speak? (Remember, I'm a newbie so I'm just hungry for knowledge--not trying to be difficult.)

Thanks!
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latech70 wrote:
Edo wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is CHR? Contemporary Hit Radio? And, could you please elaborate about these overshoots of which you speak? (Remember, I'm a newbie so I'm just hungry for knowledge--not trying to be difficult.)

Thanks!

There is no such thing as a stupid question! I can however give stupid answers now and then Wink

You guessed right... CHR meant Contemporary Hit Radio (and still does). The overshoots I was talking about come from the fact that the first section of the 528e has slow attacktime. The first transients (peaks) of the voice input will therefore pass all limiting and compression circuits without being processed at all. This is very handy for hitradio stations, since it gives everything you say extra 'punch' at the beginning of each word. The downside is that when you are in a recording environment, this will prove to be a disadvantage. For instance when doing narration... you need a lot of topical warmth and not a local hitradio deejay doing his thing underneath the video...

Also I'd never patch that unit in a commercial session, since scripts require a lot of acting nowadays, in which warmth and proximity play a vital role. In The Netherlands we use a lot of processing, but the tube mic preamp units prevale by far. Nice thing with a tube is, that it can be able to reduce as much as 20 dB's on your voice, without audible artifacts and noteable flat compression. Still it adds to your voice.

I have a few fav's... Manley Voxbox (megabucks!) Tubetech (ditto!) and TLA are very handsome machines and sound grrrreat!. Also the pretty expensive Focusrite Red 7 is a classic. TLAudio is a bit more affordable, with very versatile quality units like the 5051. It sells for little under 700 and IMHO is worth every penny!

When on a budget, the Behringer VX2496 is a blast and not quite as bad as the techies will make you want to believe. It can be a bit of a study to get it to sound right though... triple-read the manual and try every setting a dozen times... As long as your chain is in balance and the recording circumstances are right (acoustics) you will definately be able to deliver audio that's quite acceptable.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finishing up a crazy unexpected weekend in NYC, it's great to marry into a family in Northern, NJ - you don't have to pay hotel fees to large corporations and they provide shuttle service to the trains! Of course, I know they think it's good to have a son-in-law near Washington, DC.

I heard my voice through a number of different high end tube pres while recording over the last three days and it took me back to the day I bought my first tube preamp. For the longest time I was using a Brent Averill Neve 1272 clone before I switched to my current preamp. I had it in my studio mainly for use with instrumental mic'ing. The Millennia Origin was like a breath of different, not fresh, air. Good tube pres impart an amazing warmth and a slight bit of natural compression. They just seem loud, in a pleasing way. With my voice the huge low-mid buildup I was hearing was heavily reduced. It was a really rich sound.

Then I sent it out to a producer who set a high-pass at 400hz, slammed it with 10:1 compression and said, "Sounds GREAT!" All things in context, maybe so, who knows.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: