VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full featured iPad DAW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the quality matches the Duet

Haven't tried it out myself yet.... But the pre's are from the Red1 series, Focusrite's top of the line these days, as are the D/A converters. Can't suck.

Just arrived at retail. If anyone gets their hands on one for a tryout, let us know.... Meanwhile, I'm anxiously watching the levels on the spare change jar....
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the Focusrite Forte driver/console isn't a mess, and it has fewer bugs than Apogee Maestro, this thing could be a huge hit!

And then there is this: http://echoaudio.com/products/echo-2
And there is this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Track16/

You think Apogee started something?

I STILL prefer this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBPre2
In that $600 price range, this thing stomps those other interfaces in terms of REAL KNOBS AND BUTTONS, meters, road-worthy build, and NO PROPRIETARY DRIVERS!!
"Mac OS X 10.4+, Windows XP/Vista/7, and Linux, class-compliant audio device" TOTALLY plug and play, never worry about driver mis-matches ever.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried any Focusrite interfaces in the past, but I do know that the Duet 2 is incredibly clean and transparent. That's all I really care about in an interface. I use one channel and an external pre, so the converters and reliability are all I really care about now. And, as I use a Mac, have never had a single issue since I got the interface when it was released. Maestro isn't a great software interface, but it has been rock solid for me.

I do, however, hate the breakout cable and having to go into software to enable input monitoring.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, that's an interesting list of "stylish" devices. I have the Apogee Duet (firewire) and absolutely love it. I'll qualify that:

1) The Apogee Maestro drivers are less that rock solid, crapping out on me every once in a while, sometimes needing a full re-install.
2) It runs too hot (IMO). For a while, I ran the unit vertical, using velcro strips to mount it on the front of my equipment rack. After a few weeks, it went all nasty on me and slowly died. I retired it for a week or so, repositioned it normally and it's been fine since.
3) The supplied connector dongle is a piece of shite. Connecting nice heavy duty XLR mic cables and TRS monitor cables to it is counter-intuitive and worrisome. It spoils the ship for a ha'porth of tar, as they say.

But... apart from all that, I love it Smile

I was particularly drawn to the SoundDevices pre you listed. Lots of real connectors and dedicated knobs and buttons. Drool.

For my mobile rig, I'm using an old black Mac Book with an SSD, SoundStudio 4 (just like Twisted Wave) & Audition, an M-Audio MobilePre and the MXL V88. I've messed around with the iPad, but cannot for the life of me get the granularity & speed I need when waveform editing. I get quite picky about mouth clicks and using the iPad just doesn't do it for me... (or I'm just approaching it wrong).
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching a gradual thread jack unfold...
Bish, I am sure you've seen this: http://www.duetbreakout.com/
Apogee knocked it off and offer their own factory version for the Duet2.

What is it that you prefer in SoundStudio over TwistedWave? Have you ever compared the two extensively? I made the shift a few years ago when a couple clients were having some stability issues with SoundStudio, and haven't looked back. It's nice that the meters are moveable and can be active to monitor levels prior to engaging record, still waiting for that feature in TW.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the breakout box, but I must admit I was reluctant to fork out another $100 especially on something that looked like it had been put together on the kitchen table. One of the appeals of the Apogee was its Mac aesthetic. I know that as a practical argument, that's a bunch of bs, but in reality, I resigned myself to using cable ties to lock everything down to mitigate the "flimsy" dongle. Having a second interface for the road made it practical. I will freely admit that my driving force was not solid engineering, but simply that the dongle offended my sensibilities.

I've run Twisted Wave through its trial period, and to be honest, apart from a few bits'n'bobs, I can see no solid argument one way or the other. There's no compelling reason for me to switch... I've invested my cash... and more importantly my time in SS4. Admittedly, the multiple clips on the clipboard in TW are a nice touch. I do use the separate meters on SS4. I run a three screen set-up... two 23" on the desktop, and an old 17" mounted on the music stand... I'll drag the copy over to screen three and having the meters there as well is less distracting that wanting to look over at the main screen on the desktop.

With any luck, SS & TW will remain in healthy competition and spur each other forward. We'll all benefit that way.

What was this thread about? At least it's staying technical Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish Adobe Audition would implement preroll before record in waveform mode. That would make it perfect for punch and roll long form recording. I've tried almost every DAW and none of them are perfect for VO. I don't like working in a multitrack environment. This thread should really be renamed, "Let's talk about DAWS and Interfaces." It is a nicely jacked thread.

Bish, how'd you set up the third monitor? Are you running an iMac?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a MacPro(1.1) with the two 23" cinema displays connected to an after-market ATI Radeon HD 3870 in slot 1, and an old Dell 17" hooked up to the original stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT in slot 3.

The Mac is the other side of the studio wall in a separate utility area, so I've manage to kill the sound pretty well, but I had to use an extension cable on the Dell screen to get it where I wanted it. The signal degradation is minor (slight shadowing), and is perfectly good enough for reading copy.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with Reaper some more, this time experimenting with the punch-n-roll technique, since it seems to be on everyone's lips these days.
It's an 11MB download (Makes Pro Tools' 2.5GB download a real laugh), it's fast as heck, extremely flexible, powerful, and pretty easy to learn. What's more I can create templates and chains that can be shared with other users easily, like in TwistedWave. That way it can be "detuned" to not feel too overwhelming and behave more like an editor than a multitracker.

I love their pricing/licensing policy:

There is only one version of REAPER. We offer two licenses, depending on how you use it.

$225: full commercial license.
$60: discounted license.

You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true:

You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use.
You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000.
You are an educational or non-profit organization.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the punch and roll stuff, I've ended up just using Studio One free version to record, then drop the file into AA. Not the optimum solution, but until Adobe adds this incredibly simple solution, it's what works for me (and doesn't cost anything).
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
Lightweight and compact? Sennheiser 415 or 416.

Is there a source of the 415 other than eBay? I'd love to try one (one that doesn't have the potential of mold on the diaphragm. They seem to have a response that would be more appropriate for my voice. The 416 is a hair on the harsh side for me...still usable for sure, but not as smooth as I prefer.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found mine (415t) on ebay for less than $400 in mint condition. A 48v to 12v (t) adapter was another $45 from BHPhoto/video. Mic was in pristine condition and sounds great. IMO a little warmer than the 416....

To my knowledge, there is no source for these other than the secondary market, as Sennheiser apparently no longer makes them.

A caveat.... If you find a 415t, you MUST have the adapter, as 48v will cook it.

You can also run the mic on 12v worth of button batteries in the field, which is handy for location recording, which I do from time to time....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: