VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best laptop for mobile recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speakman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: best laptop for mobile recording Reply with quote

Hi there anyone,

I've never done this blogging - bulletin board thingy before but every day is a day to learn something so here goes.

I want to put together a mobile system that I can use where ever but probably in my car. I want to take advantage of the time between my classes to do auditions. Currently I don't even posess a laptop. I have a Dell computer and would expect that it would make sense to get a Dell laptop so they could communicate? But I want to get a laptop that will work well with whatever sound equipment I get. I also have a rather limited budget. Any recommendations on where to start as far as the computer goes? (I have Pat Fraley's Gypsy's Guide to Professional Home Recording and plan to follow his suggestions.)
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!! You might want to do a "Search" of the archives, particularly of the "Gear" section. There have been many conversations about this topics.

Be sure to get a laptop with a quiet fan.

Good luck!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Speakman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and thank you very much for the advice. This is all kind of new and cool. So I shall thoroughly peruse the Gear section and probably come up with more questions later.

Be well and happy,

Speakman
Edo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarynClark wrote:
Be sure to get a laptop with a quiet fan.

... and lots of memory. And above all... a PROFESSIONAL soundcard or audio interface. Don't ever use the sh*tty internal factory crap excuse for a soundcard.

Welcome to the board!
Speakman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research so I can actually understand what an audio interface is. Yup, I'm somewhat clueless, but trainable. Thank you for the advice though.

Speakman
ACF Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the OP has been advised to search, but I was wondering about this very issue, as well. Would the flash memory version of the MacBook Air be a good choice for a recording laptop? Since it lacks the hard drive of every other laptop on the market, I'd imagine it would be a *VERY* quiet machine to record with, and its one-USB-port handicap could be easily overcome with a hub. Of course, it's not the cheapest notebook out there ...

What do you folks think?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording in your car? Hmmmmm.

O.K., I understand your situation. I choose not to go into depth, but might suggest something a bit more simple (there is a caveat here). Buy a mini-disc, an iPod with recording capability, a Sandisk Sansa or something similar. Purchase a decent dynamic microphone (RE-20 come to mind) and small portable mixer, if necessary

The above equipment gives you the opportunity to record and you can take the audio home and edit and send the "auditions".

The caveat here is you will not be able to send the audio file to anyone and you will not be able to edit. The above equipment idea is great for practice, but as you would be likely recording in your car, I, personally would not suggest sending the file recorded in your car as your audition.

Voice quality and tone, style and finesse, [presentation skills, and above all - recording quality are issues observed by those who will listen to your audition. Make the quality of your audio file as good as you are able to deliver for the best results from your audition audio.

Toodles

F2
FosterChick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MacBook that I take on the road with me to record - lots of memory and I agree with Edo - use an audio interface with it - I have a small MBox that I connect via usb to the laptop. Works great and all my "gear" fits nicely into a carryon for the plane trip!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh smack!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF Guy wrote:
Would the flash memory version of the MacBook Air be a good choice for a recording laptop?

Probably not, although it'd be a good choice for looking like you have a really skinny computer.

It's not exactly a powerhouse and (I forget where, sorry) some test showed that the SSD version was actually slower than the HD version. Go figure. Also, no optical drive and smallish storage in general means you have to do a lot of stuff wirelessly.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: