VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorial Day - meaning of the flag...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Memorial Day - meaning of the flag... Reply with quote

..from the coffin of our departed veterans.

Last evening a friend sent a little reminder of the meaning of the flag from the coffin of our military veterans. In a moment of peace, I chose to create the enclosed audio file.

Do you know the meaning of the flags folds and of a 21 gun salute? If not, listen and share this with others.

Meaning of the flag folds

F2
EricSouer
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was very interesting and thought provoking. I'll have to share that with the rest of my family. Thank you.
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

This is truly great. Being a former Marine myself and having seen buddies of mine fall in both war and in peace time, this has a real special meaning for me. Its very encouraging there are still great citizens like yourself in the US who still care.

Thanks man.

Oh yeah, love the shades.

Jon
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
That was very moving.
Having attended a funeral just this past week with the folding of the flag, I was impressed with the precision & care the honor guard took to "get it right" - Now I know why.

Liz
Mike Cain
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Frank for this lesson on this Memorial Day.
We should never forget what this flag that flies over this great nation stands for.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heartfelt thanks to all who serve and served. We are eternally grateful.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thank you.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank

I have in my care two flags folded in tri-fold. One is 48 stars for my uncle who died in battle during WWII and the other 50 stars for my Father who served in Europe. I'm guessing my Great Great Great Great ... Uncle who served during the revolutionary war didn't know anything about how to fold our new national emblem.

This is what I found when looking for the Flag Folding Code:

This information is provided as a public service by the:

Disabled American Veterans
National Headquarters
P.O. Box 14301
Cincinnati, Ohio 45250-0301

US Flag Code:
http://www.legion.org/ourflag/

Flag Folding FYI
A properly proportioned flag will fold 13 times on the triangles, representing the 13 Original Colonies. When finally complete the triangular folded flag is emblematic of the tri-corner hat worn by the Patriots of the American Revolution. When folded no red or white stripe is to be evident leaving only the honor field of blue and stars.

Its amazing how things get perfected over time.

I am a Christian, a Veteran, and I believe in the simple and original meaning of things. With no disrespect to what you have done, I will stand by the meaning above.

FYI North Carolina was the last colony to come into the union. We be the 13th fold.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that both Frank and Ed are correct in their comments as to what each fold of the flag means.
I also believe that...
Quote:
After the fact meanings have been confused with the original purpose.

Quote:
The American flag isn’t folded in this manner because each fold has a special symbolic meaning; the flag is folded this way because it provides a dignified touch that distinguishes folding a flag from folding an ordinary object such as a bed sheet, and because it results a visually pleasing, easy to handle shape. This thirteen–fold procedure was a common practice long before the creation of a ceremonial assignation of “meaning” to each of the steps.

I may get warm fuzzy feelings about the various associated meanings to the way a flag is folded, but nothing brings a tear to my eye as much as when I pledge the flag and watch it waving in the breeze.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, et al:

As I stated, you may think each fold represents the 13 original colonies, and they do and do not. Each specific fold has a specific meaning.

As a former member of the Silent Drill Team many years ago (an honor not to be taken lightly), we understood the meaning and symbolism for each and every move, timing, and fold of the flag.

"In October, 2007, the National Cemetery Administration banned the practice of giving the meaning of the folds of the flag at all national cemeteries, but the decision was quickly revised. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs issued a statement on 10/20/07 saying that any recitations at the graveside of a veteran can reflect the wishes of the family. In other words, if the family wants the meaning of the folds to be included, it can be included."

The number of folds DOES represent each of the original 13 States in these United States of America, also each individual fold specifically represents as indicated within the audio.

Snopes.com states: "The practice of folding the America flag 13 times began because each fold had a specific meaning" False

Specific meanings have subsequently come to be ascribed to each of the 13 folds: True

For more information: http://www.ushistory.org/Betsy/more/folds.htm
http://www.nationalveteransday.org/folding.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/sweetgeorgiapeach1/truemeaning.html

Toodles

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: