VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you charge audio dubbing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tammymcd
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: What would you charge audio dubbing Reply with quote

Hi folks - I have a question - I have been offered a job doing audio dubbing for the main character of a Russian movie - we're doing the English part - but I have no idea what to charge for this- or what is standard - or how I should calculate this...i.e. hourly or what and is it hour of movie time? or hour of our actual time doing the dubbing? I'm so confused..........any thoughts???? Please help!! Thanks so much for any help you can give me on this. Smile Tammy
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK a miminum fee of around $450 would be payable for a 5 hour session which includes a one hour break. For unrestricted right to use your performance a further $520 is payable. The fee is for you attending a session and performing. If you are asked to dub in your own studio and send audio, don't do it as the people involved don't know what they are doing.
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
If you are asked to dub in your own studio and send audio, don't do it as the people involved don't know what they are doing.

Absolutely right, it will go horribly wrong....avoid it like the plague.

It has to be per session, I did a movie during the summer and a 2 minute scene took 15 of us a whole session to ADR/dub. An hour of screen time would never equate to an hour of recording time..

As Mr B says (certainly for union work in the UK) you will be paid for the session you are required for, usually the day is a minimum of 4 hours with a 1 hour break followed by a further 4 hour session, two breaks of not less that 15 minutes in each session. For that you would be paid a session fee of £220, so £440 for the day, you would have to do the currency conversion on that, but I would guess that its about double, so a ball park figure of $900 for the day. Usage rights are a different matter. I usually work through a looping group, so we don't get that enhancement to the fee. Not until Equity start kicking up about contracts in the future.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
robert jadah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on this side of the waters, simple Loop Group or Wallah sessions are $150 per eight-hour day, with no royalties or strings attached.
It's why one tries to wriggle up the chatty ladder.
Unionized character dubbing runs a minimum of $850/day plus whatever buyout your agent can wheedle, usually about 125% for five years unlimited use.
Since it will certainly take a day - and probably more - call it $1900 at pro rates, and quote whatever portion of that you feel reflects your status.
Certainly half.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds better than standing by the side of Buena Vista Boulevard with a sign that says, "Will Wallah for Food"

Devil
tammymcd
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it's better than a street corner! Thanks so much for the info - I hope we get it! When it came up last night - I knew I had to ask the experts here at VO-BB....and most importantly, I knew you wonderful people would help me. Is this the best group of folks ever or what??? Smile

My buddy and fellow VO-BB member Balky over in NYC is always sending me work and getting us jobs to do together - we're having a blast and I'm sooooo greatful! It's funny - but I live in Phoenix - and 90% of my work comes from NYC. Go Figure. Smile

What can I say, but that I am always so blessed to have this board and all the lovely people who come here in my life. Thank you thank you thank you!!
Smile Tammy
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpetersen wrote:
"Will Wallah for Food"

CC,

That is the quote of the day! Thank you for the great laugh. Laugh
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Tammy. Let us know what happens.
Also love the "Will walla for food" line.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammymcd wrote:
I live in Phoenix - and 90% of my work comes from NYC. Go Figure. Smile

In live in New Jersey and I can't find any work in NYC . . . go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: