VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone here used the Susan Berkley CDs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Has anyone here used the Susan Berkley CDs? Reply with quote

even though i've been a voice actor/production guy for well over 30 years (more than half of that freelancing from my own home studio in the same location), i've begun to wonder if i'm slipping, and what can be done about it.

there are no vo coaches in or near my area that i know of. sadly, in my market i'm considered one of the guys to go to for guidance and help.

after reading some of the remarks on this board, i've gone to susan's website and read what there is to read...gotten the free automated emails...and looked at the cds of the bootcamp.

realizing that personal one-on-one is probably the optimal chocie, i'm wondering if this is the next best thing to re-direct and re-vitalize my voicever career which, to put it kindly, is in a bit of a slump.

on the one hand, i recognize in her writing and advice a lot of the things i was taught and which i also pass on when consulted. but she seems to have more to teach in terms of getting "out there" with confidence...knowing how to find and qualify contacts, what to show them, how to make what talents i do still have more profitable to the right people.

even with material for beginers i might consider redundant, the price seems very reasonable.

has anyone else used this recorded program when getting face-to-face help is impractical? or are there better resources i could use? what i don't need is a general pep talk with no precise step-by-step plan of action to follow.

i've been a proven creative talent over the years, but am starting to feel worn out. and this is the work i love -- the only career i've ever had. i'm too old to start over and too young to quit.

thanks for any thoughts.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

Dunno if you remember me or not, but I'm the guy to whom you provided the digital copy of "Tomorrow Radio" about a year ago or so. I thank you for that.

But, I digress. What, exactly brought you to think that you're "slipping"? It's certainly NOT your work. Sounds to me as though it's not a V.O. Coach you need, but a motivator.

Is the work drying up? Are you unhappy with your performance? Have you received negative critique? What's wearing you out?? If I were you, I'd focus on that first.

It is my belief that it takes a "big" person to come onto a board like this and spill their heart. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

I'm one of those who reads between the lines.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell is one of the greats! Listen to his cartoon demo. Awesome!
We worked together, briefly 20 years ago (radio). He's also a fine stage actor.

Rowell:

I believe if you were in NY, LA, or Chicago, where you could audition for big jobs, you would do very well. Seems to me the smaller markets and agencies
just don't appreciate true voice-over artistry, which you possess.

Maybe you should just specialize in the character and cartoon area.
A good agent in one of the big three could get you auditions via ISDN and e-mail. Do you have an agent in NY?

You've got real talent. Maybe that Susan B. course will be a good refresher.
I haven't heard it, though.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

I think I'm with Doc. I visited your website and listened to a number of your demos and you most certainly are NOT short on talent!!! Therefore, I suspect whatever you are feeling isn't really a need for training...you clearly know your stuff and how to bring it!

The comment in your post about feeling "worn out" could very well be the issue to address. I'm not a doctor, (I've played one on radio too many times to count) so feel free to ignore what follows as it may seem to be a little to personal. Judging by your photo (we're likely near the same age) I would recommend a visit to the doc if you haven't been lately... Get tested for two things: thyroid and testosterone levels. Should either, and especially both, be out of whack... a guy can be in a hole that's impossible to dig themselves out of regardless of talent or opportunity.

That's my "step by step plan of action" recommendation.
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, doc

yes, i do remember you and was delighted to find another fan of TM productions!

work hasn't so much dried up (other than the usual ups and downs) as gotten stale. and there's not nearly enough of it. i'm searching for ways to make my demo(s) more appealing to more potential clients, but have not found much in my recent output of jobs and auditions which appeal to my own ears.

low energy, reduced stamina, only getting jobs in certain narrow voice types...those are some of the things i wondered if coaching could pull me back from.

maybe i asked the wrong question. know any good motivators?
(you're real good at reading between lines!)

your "punk country" pal,
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: bill and dave Reply with quote

wow. thanks for the boost, guys.

for bill...thanks for remembering and for the kind words.
i'd love nothing more than to do the fun characters all day, but realize the industry has moved away from that style over the last decade. i've tried to shift over to the 'actor' part of the job in that regard.

i do not have an agent anywhere for voicework. would not one have to reside in l.a. or nyc or chicago to make that work out, though? i do have isdn.

and bless you, doctor dave, you may be onto something. i will consult my own physician about those specifics. 'had not thought of those possibilities....just thought i wuz gettin' too dang old!

and doc...i may have found my motivators, eh?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

As I hope you know, I'm one of your fans, too. And the short answer is that you do NOT have to live in NYC, LA or Chicago to have agents in those cities. But getting ones foot through the door is the tricky part. In fact, that alone might be reason to spend some money on coaching (via phone) with someone in one of the big markets.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: