VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My heart goes out to this man ......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: My heart goes out to this man ...... Reply with quote

3pm UK time I have a session; the job is to voice 2 TV commercials, a ten second and a twenty.

My phone rang about 15 minutes ago to book me for the above mentioned session, the producer sounded very despondent. He and his colleagues had already attempted to get this job done earlier today. After 45 minutes it was decided to cancel(abandon) the session as the voice over couldn't do it.

"I feel like a sh*t having to do that" the producer told me. Think about how the voice over must feel. He managed to get a producer of quality TV commercials to listen to his demo and landed a gig only to crash and burn.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a shame about the first fellow, but it sounds like he got in over his head, eh?

Wanna know what burns my ass?

When the project is produced with a voice that couldn't handle it and the client is unhappy and then I'm called to fix the job-- and they expect me to accept chickenfeed because they've already blown the budget on the first voice.

Phoo-eee.

Especially if the producer recommended me in the first place but was overridden by the client or agency stooge.

No chickens here.
No chicken feed.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Bitch session? Count me in! Reply with quote

Got a call from a prospect from a certain voice board (agency) needed a "auto racing. hard driving, concert promo, sumo wrestling voice" which as God would have it, I can present fairly well.

I was in a session and finishing when they called so they had to leave a message. 10 minutes in between when they called and I returned their call.

Called them back, they loved my voice but a guy from an office down stairs from them said he could do it and they hired him...a fellow tenant.

What the other word that begins with f and ends with k and isn't fire truck? I always forget that one... :wink:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It couldn't wait 10 minutes? Ridiculous notion!

I really learned my lesson regarding "the one that got away" last year when I went to Norway to stay with friends. Before I left I let as many people as possible know the dates I would be out of circulation. In order to keep on top of things while my hosts were preparing breakfast I checked my emails. People offering me work were told the earliest date I would be available. Needless to say some couldn't wait but the majority were happy to re-schedule. The interesting part about this is that those who couldn't wait were all offering jobs at less that $100 whereas those who were prepared to wait had jobs with substantial fees.

My view is that whilst all jobs are worth having, the one that gets away will be replaced very shortly by one that doesn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: