VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone Numbers on Websites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
And-- to Kevin:

That software-IVR thing is Windoze only.
Poo.

Ahh... come on, why you gotta be a hatin'!?!?

Kevin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me-- a hate-uh.

Ha ha-- Nevah!
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: security Reply with quote

I spent 13 years in radio and had a wacko that was nearly a "Play Misty For Me" type. I used a stage name and slipped out the back door of the station frequently since I got off at midnght. That was only one in 13 years. It is rare. I had an unlisted phone and she didn't know where I lived.

I also spent 6 years as a police officer in a big city. There are crazies out there, I dealt with more than my share. But in that line of work, you expect it. If you use reasonable caution and are aware of what is going on around you at all times, you should be OK. Most people don't have any problems. Many people walk around with what we called a victim mentality. They are in their own world, often looking down, not noticing what or who was around them. That's who criminals and crazies pray on. Be alert and aware.

I think a machine to screen your calls is good. If you are listening and hear a potential client's calling you can pick it up and say you just got out of a session. Be safe out there!
imagin8r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: "hello, this is me...is that you?" Reply with quote

initially i left my phone number off the website. but it only took one client who good-naturedly complained how hard it had been to find my phone number for me to put it on the home page.

i wonder how much work i lost from otherwise nice clients who just didn't have time to do the extra research, or who didn't want to use the email link.

of course, in deference to the devine ms. d, were i a female i might not have reconsidered so easily.

(i still remember the delightful ruth buzzi on the "laugh in" tv show in her frumpy gladys character making an on-air announcement: "would the man with the deep voice making obscene phone calls to miss gladys ormphby at 555-2756 please PLEASE stop.......................my NEW number is 555-6239. thank you.")
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try posting my Cel Phone number and see what happens.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now the rest of you ... beeeehhhhhaaavvvvveeeeeee!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBeen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that do have phone numbers listed and a business message answer how many rings before the message kicks in 3 or 5?
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: The wannabe calls... Reply with quote

My Toll Free and my regular line are posted and despite the admonition to PLEASE reserve the Toll Free number for Producers and those wishing to use my voice over services I get a large number of people who have no idea what I do calling me to tell me that they have a great voice (or do a lot of voices) and did I want to represent them.

They then proceed to run through their selection of weak impressions of semi-famous people and leave their phone number for me to call them back.

That's the only problem I have had with having my number on the website.

Deebs - if you get charged for incoming calls on your cell, you might want to rethink.

Connie

(Hey Laurel - did I hear you on a spot while I was in Philly last week? A male female ping pong thing for a local - gosh was it car or furniture?)
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie, I really like the Cinnabuns hairdo. It's very cute on you. I've had a toll free number posted on one website or another for the past 8 years. It's never been a problem. In the last few years, I've been using caller I.D. and if it's an area code I don't recognize, I simply let the voice mail screen the call. Sometimes it's a prospect, who I will promptly call back -- other times it's a wrong number and I won't. It's been a good, effective marketing tool for me. Adding a dedicated line to use for business is cheap. And a toll free number isn't all that expensive, either. All you need is one or two good gigs out of it to pay for it for the whole year.

Deirdre, I would re-think listing your cell number. Instead, I would use an unlisted dedicated business line, and use call forwarding to send the incoming calls to your cell if you desire. Keeps you a little more in control that way. Also, when forwarding to the cell, remember that most if not all cell providers do not charge you for calls that are forwarded to your voice mail. And they also don't charge you for checking your voicemail. So you're not having to pay for wrong numbers, etc. if you screen this way.

As for avoiding spam e-mail, there is a javascript application you can use that will allow you to post your e-mail address, but shield it from spam harvesters that use bots to troll the Internet looking for e-mail addresses to harvest. I have found it exceptionally effective in preventing 95% of the spam that my other e-mail addresses generate (the ones I published online before getting wise to the stealth e-mail aHobo Tounge.

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Stealth email app Reply with quote

Jeff,

Where can we get the stealth email aHobo Tounge? I HATE spam.

Greg
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: That's a HAT! Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
Connie, I really like the Cinabuns hairdo. It's very cute on you.

Thanks Jeff (welcome to the board by the way) - but my real hair is still short and brownish - hard to say what color it really is these days. That is a little fur hat from a play I did last season.

Connie
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Here's the link to the e-mail aHobo Tounge.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

And Connie, I knew that wasn't your real hair. :wink:

Lest anyone take umbrage that I would be so "familiar" with Connie as to tease her about her photo, we share the same agent in San Diego and actually worked together once or twice over the last 15 years or so. Thanks for the welcome, Connie.
craigieb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recently (a few days ago) got an 800 number/voicemail deal, thinking that IF I was losing business by not having a number on my site for the last 7.5 years, I might as well fix that problem. I haven't had a single call yet.

I took my number OFF my site years ago, because I was constantly getting calls from people who were too lazy to read my FAQ, and literally EVERY question that anyone ever called with, was answered on the site. Quite a waste of time when you're in the middle of a session and you have to stop to answer a stupid question. Not to mention the countless talent looking to ask the "how do I get into the business" question.

I, like Deirdre, am on the web on-and-off almost 18 hours a day, so email is my best contact option anyway. Of my stable of 100 or so fairly regular clients, I've spoken to maybe TWO of them. Everyone else I deal with via email, and have never had a complaint about that. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for me.

For email address encoding, I, too, use a javascript application available here:
http://snipurl.com/ac0s

I use it to encode email addresses for all my Web clients, and everyone's amazed at how quickly the spam slows down (it, of course, NEVER stops).

Cheers.
Gjoy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: phone number thingie Reply with quote

I've always had a phone number on my site, and a pager number. Funny thing is, the pager is where I got the problems and pranks. More stealthy on their part I guess.

As for a contact number, narry a prank. Yeah, as mentioned before, some wrong numbers. I've always had good luck with the dedicated number for my biz work. I give my clients a number of ways to contact me. Some love the internet, others want a personal response, even to the point of hating voicemail.

As for a cell biz number, the packages are so incredibly good now, bunches of minutes for a package, it's almost cheaper than land line. I actually use Vonage now, which allows my biz number at the home office to ring, and can ring other numbers at the same time, which I use.
Wrong number, schmong number, a good cell package and your set, they even allow carry over now of unused minutes. (did schmong sound suggestive)?

Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: