VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good offer ....almost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Good offer ....almost Reply with quote

"Hi,

We're looking into our station imaging and promo's at this time and feel your voice is one that best matches our requirements.

Artists are contracted on a retained basis for $2,500 per month, initially for 3 months and one year ........"

And so the email went on. Was I interested? No! I was already contracted as the station voice for everso slightly more.

The Hobo Laughing of the station has a new assistant. I called and spoke to her.

"Don't tell X that you approached me about being the new station voice"

"Why not?"

I explained, adding that under no circumstances would I mention her email to me or the phone conversation.

On a scale of 1-10 for mistakes, she hit 8.5 ........ Funny old day.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in other words, they're shopping around to replace you, with someone that sounds more or less like you, but for ever so slightly less money.

Is that the gist of your post?

Good gracious. What an awkward situation for all concerned.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You summed that up rather well, Jeff. The station Hobo Laughing's role model for man management is either Stalin or Saddam Hussien which is why I felt it wise to help his errant assistant cover her tracks; she sounded far too young to die a slow and horrible death.

Any large market station in the USA looking for an imaging voice? I have the capacity available, apparently.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, the operative question for you is to whom exactly should WE apply for YOUR gig?

Just kidding.

Since you specified the bread, $2,500 is an enormous monthly sum for imaging liners that very few radio stations on this side of the pond (major market or otherwise) are going to be willing to match, due most likely, to the available talent pool.

That isn't to say you won't find it, but the competition is going to be intense, no matter how good you are.

Regardless, best of luck. It's a difficult situation and it was kind of you to spare the assistant to the Hobo Laughing any undue (despite earned) embarrassment.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in "when one door closes another opens" and as Katrina has or should have reminded us, life is too short.

There are some good gigs kicking around, particularly on your side of the pond. Experience has taught me that THEY find YOU. I call them the 5,6, 7 gigs. Five figure fee, six people producing/directing the session, seven page non-disclosure form. I am on first name terms with more LA lawyers than Zsa Zsa Gabor.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your "one door closes" attitude is a good one, and a necessary attitude to embrace for anyone in this business.

For someone as experienced, seasoned and as well conntected as you and I are, five figure gigs may in fact, come to us. But for the benefit of anyone starting out in this business who may stumble upon this thread, they'd be well advised to get out there and promote themselves, rather than sit by the phone waiting for that call, because unless you know the right people, and the right people know you, that phone isn't going to ring.

I'm glad you know more lawyers in L.A. than Zsa Zsa Gabor, but in my experience, agents and managers are considerably more helpful than attorneys in this business. Because they're the ones that are making the deals. Maybe that just goes without saying... Besides, they take a smaller bite out of the pie than lawyers do. :wink:

Anyway, it sounds like you'll have no trouble making up the income. Break a leg.
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Banksey.........

Does the station in question have an in-market competitor? If they drop you, ever thought about sending a demo to the other guys? Kind of a "ha-ha-ha."

Even if they don't, for every station out there that does have decent imaging, there's a host of others listening to it, trying to emulate it, and are chomping at the bit to get you on THIER station.

$2,500...WOW!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know too much about who else is around in the market but gather that the station concerned is jockeying with 4 others for the top spot. It would appear that sound is KING and that the presenters on breakfast and drive-time get fan mail from Bill Gates because of the size of their pay checks.

I understand that imaging voices on the books of William Morris are sold for a minimum monthly retainer of $1,000 to medium market size stations. Sat here in Portgordon, Scotland I am blissfully ignorant of who is who and what is what. Last year I did a TV job for the Daimler Chrysler Maybach and assumed that the price on my copy was a typo ....DUH!

Jeff is right about people new to the business getting their names out there because if they're any good they will get found, sooner or later.

If anyone ever wondered why I get work it's because I'm big and scarey and if a producer turns me down they're worried I may find out where they live!!!!!!!!! A prospect too terrifying to even contemplate. Now go and find your own USP.
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a site now, as we speak. After looking at sites of working talents, I've made some notes and gotten together with a web master.

Give 'em hell!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: