VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Jim Barton wrote:
I'm just curious though, can I use my Digi 001 with a Mini Mac? Or do I have to upgrade to a Digi 002?

I'll bet you do-- Check the compatibilty at Digi!

Actually, I haunt the DUC regularly, also the Digi compatability page. Since the 001's been legacy'd out, there's no mention of the MiniMac. But the 001's connected with a SCSI-type interface, so I doubt that it'd work with the Mini.

Too bad, they're awfully cool.

Jim
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... while we are on the subject, I just completed the purchase of a G4 Powerbook on ebay. I am hoping for a smooth transition from PC to Mac.... Might even sell my Digi002 that I bought last October and go with an MBox. What d'ya think DB? BTW, are you happy with the preamps on the MBox?

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard-- I don't use the preamps in the Mbox! I use the Line In setting because of my Symetrix preamp.

I like the Mbox. I like its portability, for one thing.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schaer wrote:
Might even sell my Digi002 that I bought last October and go with an MBox. What d'ya think DB? BTW, are you happy with the preamps on the MBox?
Bernard

Don't sell your 002! I'm running a 002 Rack that I upgraded from a MBox. The pre's are so much better (and the, probably, the power supply subsystem, too, as the MBox is USB driven) and the utility so much greater, I think you'd be heading to the wrong goal post.

I miss my MBox for portability. But, outside of that, the ability to get to low latency for monitoring, the multiple inputs and outputs and the freedom to reconfigure as needed is worth the price. Hey, you've already paid for it!

I almost bought the 002, but the Command|8 console was introduced and I bought it, mistakenly thinking it was a glorified sound card. I ran it with my MBox and enjoyed that, but needed a bit more utility. The 002 Rack and C|8 solved every issue I had in my home studio: one button mute monitoring, stand alone CD burner attached that can be used for CD playback, multiple mic inputs, ISDN in's and out's. And, did I mention low latency monitoring without twisting a knob? And, now that I figured out how to use the thing to make music, I'd never think of going back.

To answer you question: The pre's in the 002 are an quieter and better in the 002's.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

So far I've used this MiniMac on a couple of sessions, I've been leaving PT up and running the entire time, only turning off the Voxbox and mic power as needed. No crashes. No audio glitches. I'm using the built in Wireless NIC and the screen saver (blank) comes on and still no problems. Of course, this is the way my Windows installs start, but after a month, there's problems that require a small amount of effort to fix. I'm not THAT familiar with Mac OS <any version> to comment, but so far, I wish I had made this move sooner. The guys at Waves allowed me to reauth my version of Native Power Pack to the Mac so it sounds really nice now. My only regret is marginal - I did not buy the "Super Drive" so burning DVDs requires some sort of copy/staging to another machine.

I definitely do not believe any OS is the end all be all of computing, but this seems to be a little more favorable for my recording process and the upgrade from ProTools 6.4 to 6.9.2 may be part of that reason.

If you're on the fence, it's not worth changing but if you have to buy new or are fed up with your current problems, don't ask me, I'll be a walking bill board for Macs during the next few months.

Kevin
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, just so you know (and as DB alluded to), you can use pretty much any USB mouse with your Mini. If you have a favorite you've been using, just plug and play, literally. I have a G4 tower and I'm using my trusty Logitech optical scroll wheel mouse without a problem.

Glad to be reading good things about the Mini combined with PT. That may be my next purchase. Then the kids can inherit the Quicksilver and I can keep it turned off while I'm recording.

BTW, for those contemplating a switch and want to try out a Mac Mini, Apple's giving you a 30 day free trial for a limited time. If you don't like it (unlikely), return it within 30 days for a full refund.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa?family=testdrive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: