VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkarnes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: New Guy Demo Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Back from Voice 2007....all fired up and trying to get demos together.

It is the same copy done twice...

I really appreciate everyones thoughts.

http://voiceoversavvy.com/download.php?id=2059
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey George,

Is this the demo you plan to distribute to get work or is this just a sample of what you'll put on your reel? If this is intended to be your reel, you may want to rethink it. Good demos have several short clips of a variety of pieces. You don't want an entire ad to be the demo and you certainly don't want the ad twice to be your demo. a commercial demo shouldn't be any longer than a minute and you want your money voice as the first clip. Give a listen to demo reels online and from those in this forum. You'll learn a lot.

As well, when I first heard the bacon sizzle, it sounded like static. The fidelity on that sound effect is too low. If you can get it higher quality, that will help.

But obviously you have a very good presence, a nice rich baritone sound. I think a good demo from you would be impressive. I look forward to hearing it.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George! Great to hear (from) you.
What Kafer said.
And this: you've got some kind of signature read and voice there, that will be well-suited to a specific type. I think your read (I just listened to the first and a very small part of the second) is laid-back and apropos for the script. Your natural voice and presence are evident. I would exploit this if I were you! Find scripts that seemed tailored for you and practice! Find scripts that are a stretch, and practice! Find scripts somewhere in the middle of your comfort zone and left-field, and practice. You'll then determine your range and discover a good mix with which to create a demo that showcases that range, as Jeffrey said.
I know you're a noob, and psyched you a.) joined the board 2.) had the wherewithal to post something here and c.) are back safe-n-sound after many days on your ass.....errr....motorcycle.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recommendation was made to me and I am passing it on to you. Go to the Voicebank House Reels and search for the top names in VO. You can find the opinions of some of our esteemed colleages on this board as to who some of those people are here, and here, then listen to their demos. Your goal is to produce a demo that is competitive to these.

I hope this helps!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey George! Glad to see you here. I'll agree with much of the above. You have a great natural tone and the "bacon" script is perfect for you. Find some more in that vein as well as some with different tempos & moods and flesh out your reel. I really picture you in a "Sam Elliot" or "Mason Adams" kind of read, but with a little less gravel.

You have come a loooong way in a short time, my friend. There are many valuable resources on this board ... you've landed in a good spot.

ride to live, live to ride.

gkarnes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey-
Thank you very much everyone. My plan is to use a part of that on a demo along with about 3-4 other clips. 12-15 sec each.

I appreciate the great advice. I have been practising my a** off instead of cutting it in a factory. I need tons more practice, but I am tired of answering a hundred leads on line a week and competing with 2000 other guys who sounds just like me but better.

I have been listening and listening to Voicebank and many other places. I am not that good yet and I know it, but I can finally start to hear myself act a little bit and when I listen to most of the stuff playing on my local radio (Knoxville, TN) I am pretty sure I can hang with them.

I decided after Voice 07 I was going to get a demo together and start knocking on doors. I want to actually force somebody to tell me no in person instead of sending MP3 after MP3 into a black hole.

I know I will feel much better then.

But seriously, you all are a big help!

George
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkarnes wrote:
Hey-
Thank you very much everyone. My plan is to use a part of that on a demo along with about 3-4 other clips. 12-15 sec each.

Make that 7-10 seconds each (12 on the outside, only if you MUST) and you'll be in line with current industry standards (or so I'm led to believe.)
Smile

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
gkarnes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Amy-
That is 6 or 7 clips....you know I don't have that kind of range! :-P :-P

Seriously though clips should be 7-10 and about 6 or 7 pieces?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I hear self doubt? George, plan your work and work your plan.

Have fun, and call me if I can help.

Frank F
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkarnes wrote:
Dang Amy-
That is 6 or 7 clips....you know I don't have that kind of range! :-P :-P

Seriously though clips should be 7-10 and about 6 or 7 pieces?

Yep! You can do it! If Voice Talking were easy, nobody would ever have to pay anyone to do it, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: