VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Tools & Sound Forge helpdude

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Pro Tools & Sound Forge helpdude Reply with quote

In Dutch we say: Wie A zegt moet ook B zeggen. (translation: He who says A must say B as well)

Basically it means that if you promise something you obligate yourself to keep that promise...

Well, have any tech questions? I'll try my best to be of use as a virtual helpdesk or something. I have over 27 years of studio experience so I might be able to come up with stuff.

Studio iHelp is in service as of now! :lol:

Edo
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Edo:

Your offer to lend advice is most appreciated. My first question is...

Your post is titled "Protools and Sound Forge Help." Are the questions restricted to only those subjects, or are you offering advice on all areas of studio and technical advice?

Regards,

Joe
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to be of help in any technical area that I can. Even when it involves musical instruments. I play and own quite a number. I am however a SoundForge and Pro Tools poweruser sort of... so there are the specifics if you'd need some. It remains without further explanation that my 25+ years of studio experience is something I won't hesitate to share... and that means ALL aspects of professional recording. Ask me anything from open reel machine maintainance, cartdecks to the most advanced digital tech things. I'll try not to sound too stupid :wink:
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: ProTools on XP Reply with quote

Hi Edo,

your offer to help is much appreciated. My question: Are you running your ProTools on Mac or PC? I am currently running ProTools LE with Digi 002 on a Win XP machine with an AMD 64-bit processor. Pretty much everytime I add an Aux track and a Master Fader to my voice track and press play on screen or on the Digi 002 the "bar" moves across the tracks on screen and I should be hearing my mix but I don't. So I close PT and re-open the session and then I will actually hear my mix. Without the Aux and/or Master Fader added I have not had the problem yet. Any ideas?

I am thinking of switching to a G4. Your thoughts?

Best,

Bernard
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ProTools on XP Reply with quote

schaer wrote:
Hi Edo,

your offer to help is much appreciated. My question: Are you running your ProTools on Mac or PC? I am currently running ProTools LE with Digi 002 on a Win XP machine with an AMD 64-bit processor. Pretty much everytime I add an Aux track and a Master Fader to my voice track and press play on screen or on the Digi 002 the "bar" moves across the tracks on screen and I should be hearing my mix but I don't. So I close PT and re-open the session and then I will actually hear my mix. Without the Aux and/or Master Fader added I have not had the problem yet. Any ideas?

I am thinking of switching to a G4. Your thoughts?

Best,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Excuse me for the late reply. I have been spending some professional VO/radio and vacation time on the wonderful island of Curaçao in the Dutch Antilles for the past weeks... yeehaw! Sunshine, upper 80's (or 30+ Centigrade/Celsius)... I have a lousy job sometimes cool

I'm doin' my thing with Pro Tools TDM on the fastest Dual Powermac G5 I could get my hands on. It can't be beat in my opinion as far as relyability is concerned. Nevertheless, I also use an Mbox with Pro Tools LE in a Windows XP environment. To be honest, I prefer the Mac... but since all stuff is cross-platform compatible anyway it doesn't really matter. Some of the Mbox-material is transferred to my 'big' system in the studio. I always complete the projects on the TDM...

There have been reports on flaws when AMD CPU's are used, but your problem doesn't strike me as anything I've come across recently. The only thing I can think of (suffering from jetlag and all, hehe) is that maybe a problem occurs with your graphicscard inside your PC. Also you might like to try juggling with the playback buffers in the setup menu. A moment ago, I tried to reproduce the thing you mentioned here, but no luck.

I'm having dinner with a Digidesign rep in a few days, he might have some pointers. If so, I'll let you know!

As far as the G4 is concerned... if you consider a new one: G5 is the way to go. If you aim for a second hand G4, look for fast (dual if possible) CPU and lots of internal RAM. Be careful what OS you choose though, a lot of plug-ins (and even the Pro Tools software) have limitations depending on whether you operate on OS-9 or OS-X.

Under older OS's you can't really succesfully upgrade to the recent PT versions 6.4/6.7 and up... then again, when choosing OS-X you could run into difficulties trying to get older plug-in bundles to work. They need to be OS-X compatible! Still, OS-X is what you want if possible.

I'm using OS-X (10.3 Panther) and I'm a very satisfied user. My new gear hasn't crashed a single time since powering it up last september. I actually never even switched it off since... hence my electric bill Laugh

Good luck!
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ProTools on XP Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've been using a Mac B/W G3-350, OS9.2, 512 mb RAM, with Digi 001 since Digi 001 was unveiled some 5 (?) years ago. Since 75% of my work is voiceover only with only a few plugins added to the mix, I've had no reason to upgrade to even a G4, much less a G5 with OS10. I use it daily, my clients and I are very satisfied with the quality, and I never have any problems with crashes.

Unfortunately Digi 001 is no longer available commercially, but it can easily be purchased on Ebay.

I can understand why a full blown studio might want to keep up with the equipment curve, but a voiceover artist trying to set up a home studio is an entirely different matter. At least consider other options before you jump into a G5/Digi 002 setup.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: