VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Processors and Room Noise, Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved!

Sort of.

Here's what I did.

I began pulling things out of the signal flow equation. First the little Behringer mixer. No difference - hiss still there. Hmmm.

Then (alas) I left out the mixer AND removed the Joe Meek preamp . . . hiss gone.

It's the pre.

Bummer.

Now . . . prior to getting the mBox/PTLE, the pre wasn't causing any problems, so this intrigues me. Yes, it's POSSIBLE that a cord or the pre itself went south at the very same time I added the mBox, but it's not PROBABLE.

Too much of a coincidence, I think, but I am going to swap out the pre's cord this afternoon (the cheapest first option) and see what develops.

I know that there is a Focusrite amp in the mBox, but I'd really like to keep my Joe Meek in the equation if I can.

I also wonder if it's possible that the mBox and the pre are both fine independently but just don't get along TOGETHER. Ya know?

If that's the case, then I guess I'll have to forego using the Joe Meek and just plug the mixer alone back in for ISDN sessions.

And just to keep this crazy train on the tracks, I now also wonder . . .

If I don't have the Joe Meek available to me, would having a Symetrix 528 in the chain do anything to improve the quality of my recordings (provided it doesn't create any problems like the preamp did)?

Any thoughts?

Lisa
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running one signal through another preamp will certainly introduce the hiss. Are you using the Line or XLR input? The Line (1/4") shouldn't run through the mic preamp and 'may' eliminate the hiss.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Are you using any kind of power conditioner? As a last resort, you may have some line noise from the incoming power or generated from another electrical device in your (or a neighbor's) appartment. Just another thing to eliminate.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin -

Are you saying that having the Joe Meek in addition to the internal Focusrite pre in the mBox will cause hiss?

And I'm afraid I don't understand your question about the cable. If it helps, here's what my chain looks like -- and I did buy new cable yesterday and it didn't help.

Mic into Joe Meek

Joe Meek into mixer (makes no diff if mixer is in or out of chain, btw)

Mixer to mBox

I have tried both 1/4" and XLR inputs to the mBox - no difference.

Baffled,

LL

PS to Greg: Yes, I have a Monster Power Pro, but moving it across the room or even taking it out altogether makes no difference.

Bottom line -- if I take the mic straight into the mBox, no hiss (but I lose my Joe Meek). If the Joe Meek is involved in any way, hiss-o-rama.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:
Kevin -

Are you saying that having the Joe Meek in addition to the internal Focusrite pre in the mBox will cause hiss?

Yes, with music, some engineers do this purely for effect to get the hiss, with our craft, not going to happen. Make sure you've got the gain on the Mbox down all the way, that the input is set for +4db, that you've got a balanced 1/4" cable (not a patch 1/4" patch cable, the balanced 1/4" cables have two rings on the plug.) and use the gain on the Joe Meek.

If you're doing this and you still have the hiss, then something else may be going on.

Kevin
lisaloo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!

I tried your last suggestion, Kevin, and I think that at least 90% of the hiss is gone. I emphasize the "I think" because now I am truly at the point where I can no longer judge what I'm hearing.

It seems as though there might be the faintest "essence" of something lurking back there somewhere, but . . . is it really there, or am I now just so freaked out by hiss that I am imagining it everywhere?

Wink

And what's more, I'm also now not sure at all if I prefer the overall quality (regardless of hiss) of the sound with the Joe Meek and mixer in the chain versus the sound of the Focusrite alone (straight into the mBox, bypassing the Joe Meek and the mixer).

Argh. I am officially brain-dead.

I.

Have.

Heard.

Too.

Much.

And my husband won't play anymore, either. He puts on the headphones, listens for two seconds, shrugs and says, "Sounds fine."

Wink

If anyone is willing, I have two short samples (one of each configuration) in mp3 that I can send for comparison. I'd love to hear what people think sounds better overall . . . AND if they think there is any hiss left in the audio on the test I recorded this morning after taking Kevin's suggestion here.

PM me with your email addy if you're willing to give the two configs a listen.

Thanks again to one and all . . .

Lisa Loo
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Room Noise Reply with quote

Hello, all... I'm new here and have already found some invaluable advice from fellow pros. Here's why I reply:

dmgood said: A Downward Expander works much like a compressor in reverse.

Any standard presets for Adobe Audition for this function? Would appreciate at least a starting point.

And, Frank said: You can build or have built a simple version of a "whisper room" for less than $200.00

Where can I find more on this particular construction?

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC noise? Try here for help

http://www.acoustiproducts.com/
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmgood wrote:
A Downward Expander works much like a compressor in reverse. You set a threshold. Any noise below the threshold is shut out electronically. When the signal (your voice) is loud enough to exceed the threshold, it opens up and lets the signal through. It is smoother than a gate which just turns on and off at the threshold resulting in a noticable swoosh (think Phil Collins' drums in early eighties).

When room treatment is out of the question and you need to record in a busy area (like Manhattan) an expander will do the trick. Just make sure that if you need some compression that you put it in the chain after the expander.
I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY (can you see I believe in it) recommend the Behringer Composer Pro. Simply because it has an almost magical combination of an expander and a gate! It worked great at reducing background noises (like my fridge, old PC, and street noise) when I first started recording... a looooooonnng time ago Wink

My first one was model no. MDX2100, now I have an MDX2200. I think they're up to MDX2600 - but you can buy a used or like new MDX2200 for less than $130.

Their mixers suck (I love Mackie), but they're Composer series rocks!
Would NEVER record vocals without one - even if I bypass it now because of my booth I love to have it available.

-Anthony

Last edited by anthonyVO on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, here's their newest version (i'd skip this one and try to get a good condition MDX2200):
http://www.behringer.com/MDX2600/index.cfm?lang=ENG

cool
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Anthony!

Things are much better now, but I may try that suggestion. And I do plan to replace the Behringer mixer with Mackie, too.

Just so I understand you -- I should make sure this expander is first in the chain before the Joe Meek (where the compressor is), right?

Lisa

PS: THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO HELPED ME WITH THIS PROBLEM!!

Wink
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup - put it in the chain before your Joe Meek.
Believe it or not, they don't cancel each other out... just play around with the settings:

1 - either leave your compressor settings where they are, or, if you're really compressing (say if it's at a ratio higher than 5) then set it to a moderate level.

2 - play with the expander/gate settings to see where the "noise/ambient reduction" works best without chopping your vox up (i.e., don't hard gate it). set it to a slow instead of fast setting. it should sound natural and it will always be a compromise setting - where you can do soft spoken words and high energy pieces without having to fiddle around with it.

3 - if you changed your compressor settings, put them back where they were or leave it where it is and compress w/ a plug in.

Good luck.
-Anthony
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: mic processing Reply with quote

I just bought a MDX2200 for $55 used on ebay. I also have a Joe Meek Three Q. I'll have fun palying with the settings when it arrives.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: