VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ebay scams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Ebay scams Reply with quote

In light of a recent thread here, I thought I would share a bit of a letter sent to me by a guest of this board (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Seems to be a lot of this going on on eBay right now. I had someone who tried to scam me on a microphone recently. They were really quite elaborate. I never bid in their auction, because I smelled a rat to begin with and the seller didn't reply to my questions.
Two days after the auction ended, he e-mailed me to say that the high bidder was trying to renegotiate the deal and that all he wanted was about $200 less than the auction closed for, and that if I still wanted it, he would arrange for shipping even before I paid him, etc. Sent pics of the mic at the same time and explained away his zero feedback rating with "everybody's got to start sometime, right?"
The price he was quoting was about half the actual value of the mic, and within a day, I received an official looking notification from a bogus shipping company with their own legit-looking web site with the instruction that they needed me to pay for the mic via Western Union and then they would ship it to me. Bastages!

Seems like such a good deal, yes?

You can find a similar deal with some Very Nice People in Nigeria.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre,

I understand there's a bridge for sale somewhere in the UK under similar terms, and from the same sort of, ahem, wholesome crowd. Smile
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one in New York City somewhere, so I've heard.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related article here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: