VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Established November 10, 2004

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audition with AI voice reference
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's most? There are unions in Spain and a large one in Mexico El ANDA. I'm not sure if el ANDA covers dubbing but when I worked in production there, it covered just about all areas of acting.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
Are you sure it's most? There are unions in Spain and a large one in Mexico El ANDA. I'm not sure if el ANDA covers dubbing but when I worked in production there, it covered just about all areas of acting.

You might be right about the Spanish markets, but worldwide the majority of foreign dubbing is non-union.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious so I asked a friend who does a LOT of high profile dubbing in Mexico. A-list celebrity dubbing. And yes, Bob, he said most of it now IS non-union.

Interestingly, (because down the rabbit-hole I go Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes ) I looked it up. I was right in that during the years I worked in production at Televisa in Mexico, dubbing WAS covered under la ANDA, but in 2003 Tele shut down its dubbing studio and sold it. The new company picked up the Simpsons among other shows and worked under the union contract for a while but then in 2005 they decided they wanted to get rid of union security clauses so they could use 25% non-union actors and the union and performers were concerned about that diluting union benefits and they struck. They couldn't come to agreement when it came time to go into production on a new season of the Simpsons, (I think they were 13 or so seasons in) so they replaced all of the original performers and hired new non-union talent. I guess it snowballed from there, since they did a ton of shows. I also read at some point they dissolved the company and then reformed with new partners under a nearly identical name. Although that may have been before that. In any case most of this work in Mexico is now non-union from what my friend tells me.

(Interesting sidebar - when the union went into the facility months into the strike they discovered all of the equipment had been removed and replaced with obsolete equipment - think reel-reel tape players - and they threatened to sue the company. There were also divisions within the union)

And that was your Sunday fun fact minute.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
I was curious so I asked a friend who does a LOT of high profile dubbing in Mexico. A-list celebrity dubbing. And yes, Bob, he said most of it now IS non-union..

I don’t know when buyers will begin using AI to translate our work into different languages, but the tech to be able to do so is here. And buyers find value in the ability to promote the use of the original English voice actors’ voices for this. And the fact we will be able to participate in profit sharing is the next generation of residuals.

This technology will one day negatively impact English dubbing, as AI will also be used to create English dubs from foreign content, impacting anime, dubbed live action content, etc.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This technology will one day negatively impact English dubbing, as AI will also be used to create English dubs from foreign content, impacting anime, dubbed live action content, etc.

It will. ADR as well
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
Quote:

It will. ADR as well

ADR, narration, audiobooks, etc. The only thing we can protect and guarantee profit sharing is when generative AI is used with our past union work to create new union work. But for brand new content? AI companies have 20 plus years of banked voices to work with, provided by 20 plus years of non-union auditions and work from P2P platforms. The non-union world is screwed, but they are very responsible for this predicament. I do predict many will come back into the union fold, especially those who want to continue having a career in vo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: