VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State of the art: AI voices in 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can AI truly "act"?

I think the answer is ... "not yet". I believe it's just a matter of time before AI can not only "act" but ad lib and write its own scripts.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a quick tidy in the guest bedroom. There be stuff in the places where one puts stuff.

"Oh no!" exclaims unexpected guest "I don't have ..."

I point to where stuff may be found.

During my tidy I found a hair brush, I looked closely and saw it was a tangled mess of hair. Mmmm a brunette! Ah yes, dearest Rachel who died a little over 3 years ago aged 31. There's your motivation AI. Annnnnd ACTION!
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
Quote:
can AI truly "act"?

I think the answer is ... "not yet". I believe it's just a matter of time before AI can not only "act" but ad lib and write its own scripts.

So what are we all doing in this future to keep busy? Perform live shows and provide life coaching to each other?

I'm being facetious of course -- I know that there'll be programming and consulting -- but there's a lot of effort that's gone into replacing roles and careers that probably didn't need to be replaced right now.

It boggles my mind that principle efforts haven't been put into healthcare and more sectors that truly need capable AI now. People just follow the money, I guess...
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
principle efforts haven't been put into healthcare

Well, one of the first go's at such a thing was a program called ELIZA, which would behave like a (very shallow) psychotherapist, asking questions and responding to your answers with further related questions. It was goofy, at best, but from the mid-1960's and pretty cool then.

Fast forward from there to its incarnation on the C64, in conjunction with S.A.M., which then made ELIZA able to actually speak (there was also a lesser TRS-80 version, which was an abomination, and an Apple II version, which was also). S.A.M. also included Hamlet's soliloquy, the Gettysburg Address, and a few other demo pieces - and they weren't bad for, what, 1983 or so and no samples, just building the audio from tables. That stuff leads us in to things like "Perfect Paul" (NOAA's old weather radio voice) around the same time, then in the 90's and early 2000's, commercially available text-to-speech packages you could license for your own product. Jump to right now, when you have the massive magnitude of computing horsepower available to make it actually realistic.

It's interesting that the same tools that make creative work easier also seem to always eventually evolve to replace you in the process. The music side of things has been getting there for some time - automated orchestration, for example, is not new and has actually gotten quite good (if you're curious for an example, see EastWest Opus Orchestrator).

Anyhow, I have no idea what my point is.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]It's interesting that the same tools that make creative work easier also seem to always eventually evolve to replace you in the process. The music side of things has been getting there for some time - automated orchestration, for example, is not new and has actually gotten quite good (if you're curious for an example, see EastWest Opus Orchestrator).[/quote]

Computers and automation have been taking the work away from people/professionals for decades. Each time this has happened, those affected resisted, explaining that nothing can replace hands on craftsmen. This has been proven wrong each and every time.

This past year we saw an AI manipulated performance submitted for Best Character Voice Performance for Emmy consideration. I had staff at The Television Academy request the producers submit the actor's original recording so we could compare that from what was AI enhanced. It was night and day, and was ruled that it did not qualify. So, the board ruled that AI enhanced performances may be vetted in this way so as to better be able to judge the submitted actor's work.

This is not an unprecedented ruling. For decades other professionals, from make-up artists to set designers have seen their work both cut dramatically and in some cases completely eliminated due to CGI. During a board meeting about 5-7 years ago I was lamenting to my fellow board members that I can see AI taking a large chunk of the work away from the vo community. My peers kinda laughed at me with a, "Welcome to the club!" This was not new for them. In fact, The Academy ruled for peer groups, such as make-up and set design, that a certain percentage (I don't recall how much) of the finished product must not be CGI created to qualify for Emmy consideration. And, staff has the right to vet/challenge any submission if there's any question what was CGI and what was not. Thus, our recent VO/AI ruling.

VO is just the latest to be affected by a tech disruption. Everyone in show business is very myopic, thinking it's just about them. This is kinda understandable as most do not relate to others outside their own backyards, even those within the same craft. There truly is nothing one can do to stop the tide that is AI technology. The only thing that can be done, as it is done with lifts and re-uses for union vo, is to protect actor's past work from being used for future AI content. The problem comes with the vastness that is the internet. Usage used to mean broadcast TV. It was very easy to police. Usage today can be a fan or some computer geek using an actor or celeb's work/words to incriminate. Make it appear that they have said things to destroy reputations. That, IMO, is far more destructive and urgent than actors taking a gig to create and (or) advance AI technology.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm policing my residuals someone is stealing my integrity.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
request the producers submit the actor's original recording so we could compare

I presume if they'd become indignant and refused, the entry simply would have been dropped from consideration. What if, on the other hand, they had simply lied and held up the enhanced version as the original recording? Do we think that these things eventually shake out, Milli Vanilli-style?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
a fan or some computer geek using an actor or celeb's work/words to incriminate. Make it appear that they have said things to destroy reputations.

It's frightening how AI can be put to use for this nefarious purpose, but in many ways, it's hardly necessary. People have demonstrated that they are willing to believe all sorts of bullshit without the need to be shown any evidence, or in fact, when shown conclusive evidence to the contrary.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cat has been out of the bag for ages already. Doctored photographs to incriminate individuals who ultimately take the fall even though there's plenty of evidence contrary. A lie circles the globe twice before the truth can even lace up the its boots.

There are already demonstrations of AI manipulating the speech of past presidents to get them to say things they never actually said and make it sound convincing. I think everyone is waiting to see who is going to use it first to try to destroy an opponent's political career, if it's not already being done at the local level...

The technology is -here-. We're not waiting for it.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
a fan or some computer geek using an actor or celeb's work/words to incriminate. Make it appear that they have said things to destroy reputations.

It's frightening how AI can be put to use for this nefarious purpose, but in many ways, it's hardly necessary. People have demonstrated that they are willing to believe all sorts of bullshit without the need to be shown any evidence, or in fact, when shown conclusive evidence to the contrary.

That is precisely the reason it is necessary! It adds to what is already happening. People and media, both traditional and social live to play gotcha, to take people down based on words. This is today's trend, and this technology feeds on this trend, just giving the mob what they want.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Just did a quick tidy in the guest bedroom. There be stuff in the places where one puts stuff.

"Oh no!" exclaims unexpected guest "I don't have ..."

I point to where stuff may be found.

During my tidy I found a hair brush, I looked closely and saw it was a tangled mess of hair. Mmmm a brunette! Ah yes, dearest Rachel who died a little over 3 years ago aged 31. There's your motivation AI. Annnnnd ACTION!

Very sorry for what sounds like a terrible tragedy.

What you don't get is that AI will be able to listen to a human's pristine audio capture of the grief and angst and pain inherent in the human's tribute...and work it and work it and work it and ultimately do it better, evoking even more pain and poignancy than was in the original.

It's that amazing, that scary, maybe even that wrong...but it IS.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisvoco wrote:
Quote:
request the producers submit the actor's original recording so we could compare

I presume if they'd become indignant and refused, the entry simply would have been dropped from consideration. What if, on the other hand, they had simply lied and held up the enhanced version as the original recording? Do we think that these things eventually shake out, Milli Vanilli-style?

Well, perhaps. But the producers used this AI manipulation as a selling point, both for the audience as well as for Emmy consideration.

But let's look at your scenario, that they lied and it got through. There are too many associated with this and all productions for this lie to be kept quiet. Other professionals would (and have) alerted The Academy with questions regarding the legitimacy of submissions. It is very hard in this day and age to lie about something like this. But, anything is possible. The fact that The Academy has codified the use of AI in regard to a vo performer's Emmy qualifications is great. If someone tries to lie their way through in the future, we have a top notch staff who vets every submission.
MooreVoices
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this three weeks ago...

That being said, I am governing my intellectual property accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7x3CbbR-ns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: