VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio file storage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Audio file storage Reply with quote

Analyzing again. Excluding the cloud, is there anything that says one type of external drive (HDD vs SSD) is better for working with and storing audio files? (Anything, beyond a marketing angle, that is.)

Next question, if you use external SSDs, is there any reason to eject (unmount) them before putting a computer to sleep? When using mechanical external drives, I was in the habit of ejecting them before sleeping the computer just to keep them from spinning unnecessarily during the night. With the SSDs, I'm wondering whether ejecting them and letting them cool every night might prolong their life a bit.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nothing spins in an SSD, there's no reason to take any special steps to protect them from wear and tear.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a theory that SSDs only have "so many" read-write cycles in them before they fail. However, I haven't been able to find ... anywhere, what that number might be. Spinny drives are plenty fast for audio and much cheaper per GB. I use Samsung 870 QVO 2tb SSDs ($140) for editing video and they are super-fast and I haven't had a failure in 2 years (knock wood). Like Lee said, since nothing moves, they do not get hot at all. They just sit there and work.

Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For working with audio files, SSD is the way to go. Reason: read/writes are much faster since there are no moving parts as others have mentioned. Good comparison here https://www.avast.com/c-ssd-vs-hdd# "HDDs can copy 30 to 150 MB per second (MB/s), while standard SSDs perform the same action at speeds of 500 MB/s. Newer NVME SSDs can even show speeds of up to an astounding 3,000 to 3,500 MB/s. With an SSD, you can copy a 20 GB movie in less than 10 seconds, while a hard disk would take at least two minutes."

Since you'll want speed for editing but don't care about that for storage, go for an SSD in your computer, and HDD for your long-term storage. Store more for less money. If you want to to go full-on geekasauras rex, get yourself a Drobo. When a drive fails, it's lit up red and you just replace it. All other drives in this multi-disc array continue functioning and your data/backups are preserved.

--

No reason to eject or unmount an SSD, whether internal or external, before putting computer to sleep. This is a very old habit you can safely break. Switching to SSD for daily operations has changed the game significantly from a spinning disk HDD. If money were no object, I'd get the fastest SSD I could for my computer, and an HDD array for long-term storage, using a Drobo.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Enjoy the holidays!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: