VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on crafting a performance/payment agreement ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on crafting a performance/payment agreement ? Reply with quote

Hi, hope all's well with y'all. Would welcome some advice on how to best
compose a secure contract arrangement with an overseas client whom
I've not worked for before. He is interested in having me voice about 8 min.
of narration as a boxing/ring announcer character. Proposed usage in perpetuity
is alleged to be for his 'DJ Shows' that are private or small venue live-events
wherein attendees/contestants participate in an interactive quiz show with a Boxing
theme. The VO elements are essentially an intro/description of the 'rules' and
subsequent interplay dialogue for right/wrong answers. Basic game show format
stuff. I'm accustomed to working with international entities that have some corporate
identity but since he appears to be a non-incorporated indie contractor of sorts, I'm
not necessarily doubting his validity but trying to come up with some format of an
agreement and means to proceed. Biting my tongue somewhat, out of laziness,
I even looked at the V123 "booking option" feature -which I have paid little to no attention to before but since it technically has an infrastructure by which I can outline a proposal and require up-front payment (released to me upon his acceptance of the content) - it seemed to offer some degree of protection - plus extracts fees from the client for the processing - not from my side - and offers several payment options. Presumably it would require him getting a V123 client account - I have no idea.

Sorry for the lengthy discourse but would love to get any take on how anyone has handled something like this. Thanks much for any thoughts! Mike

PS: Lest there be any question - this is in no way related to the infamous 'game show' scam thing that's been going around for a couple of decades. The dude is legit based on some profile checking and other details). : )

Saying something since 1970-
something
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

You'll probably get folks here who might disagree, but I feel if this is a one-time deal with someone who appears trustworthy, I'd consider a clear email exchange of rates, timing, and listing of what you'll provide. This will serve as somewhere between a contract and a handshake deal. It is reasonable to ask for an amount, say half, upfront if he's a small risk. If he isn't trustworthy at all of course you shouldn't deal with him.

It's only for large contracts, multiple projects, and long term relationships where serious paperwork is helpful. Many here have an exceedingly low opinion of V123 and its ilk so you may not see support for that path.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start with the basics for you to ask yourself: what do you charge for your regular type of gig? What do you feel comfortable charging for this gig and all it may entail - voicing, editing, formatting, delivering - and do you include a usage fee (either declared to client or just rolled in)?

Now, ask this potential client: budget? Just ask the question and get it over with. You can also lead with "I would charge xyz. What is your budget?"

Enter Philip who will tell you to then multiply by 30 or something and he might be right.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: