VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Have To Record and Send In My Audition???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: I Have To Record and Send In My Audition??? Reply with quote

It's a little amusing to see SAG/AFTRA get all alarmed about members having to do what we in the VO community have been doing for 20+ years.... self recording auditions! Now admittedly an on camera actor has more factors to worry about than a voice actor, but still I thought the deep concern was interesting in 2022. Here's a lift from a recent communication from the union:

Quote:
SAG-AFTRA understands and is concerned about the increased demands on members’ time and resources in creating self-taped auditions, and seeks to determine to what extent requests for increasingly difficult and costly add-on equipment and scene requirements for self-tapes are being passed on to auditioning talent.

As we all know, the audition process has increasingly involved the requirement of self-taping for submission in Commercials, TV/Theatrical, Interactive and other employment. Self-tape auditions have increased and have now grown to encompass nearly all available auditions resulting in additional technological, monetary and artistic demands.

Scene requirements? 99% of the on camera auditions I did were in small meeting rooms. Nothing special there.

Now here's where this shite might be getting real (?):

Quote:
We have even become aware of situations in which casting requirements for self-tape TV/Theatrical auditions have included onerous and sometimes dangerous requests for stunts, for costumes and props or backgrounds and other elements of production not traditionally associated with auditions.

Once again, I'm glad to be just a voice actor these days.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree! Most union actors who do on-camera do not do vo and therefore have no clue we have been self taping our auditions for decades. When COVID hit, many union vo actors wanted the union to go after reimbursements for Source Connect, mics, etc. There is now a faction at the union doing the same thing for on-camera. Because of the celebs who do on-camera and self taping, this just might happen. If it does, it will indeed trickle down to union vo. I myself refused to fight for this/the union vo actor during the pandemic as I just found it all to be the price of doing business. But if this gets fought/accomplished by the more powerful world of on-camera, I may get some perks without having to step into the lion's den.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-taping for on-camera is so much harder than what we do. Hair, makeup, memorizing, costuming, lighting, video editing, AND sound on top of it--it's a ton of work. Actors were doing it before covid but of course it's now pretty much the standard. Whenever I feel like complaining about auditions, I remember how hard it is for on-cam peeps and I stop.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcv8jWd524

Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did two self-taped/on-camera auditions for theatres last fall, and I. HATED. IT.

The only bonus was being able to re-record ad nauseum till I got a take I liked, but everything I love about live theatre was gone. I LOVE reading with a stranger, being asked to read a scene cold that I didn't prepare, or learn a song... I am always stronger in a theatre call-back than I ever am in a preliminary audition, because it's all about the character, then, and making choices, and being directed.

It's no surprise that I booked neither audition. Meh.

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so tired of auditioning! All auditions! VO and on-camera.

Now one of the local community theaters is asking for self-tape auditions for shows that pay a stipend. Just Say NO! They ask that you find a scene partner to do the sides. Nope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: