VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two-parter: Waveform editing and recording/editing technique

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Two-parter: Waveform editing and recording/editing technique Reply with quote

I use TwistedWave as my audio editor. As part of my recording process, I'm thinking ahead about the editing process... so I snap a finger whenever I make a mistake. When I go back to edit, it's very easy to see where the mistakes are (1 and 2 in the image below) and where the correction begins (3)

Many of us probably edit this way: we'd select from the beginning of (1) to the beginning of (3) and press Delete.

I'm wondering: Has any editor/plugin automated this process yet? I just sent a suggestion to TwistedWave--which was when I learned there's just one developer behind that piece of kit--so it's unlikely this idea will be implemented... but it seems like a killer feature would be automatic mistake correction... call it Snap Editing or something.

Part 2: Have you tried the snap/click technique and found something even more efficient? What method did you land on? It's assumed that I want to improve my skills so I make fewer mistakes, but they're bound to happen... would be cool to whack most of em with one click.

Thanks for your thoughts!
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll snap, clap or click my tongue loudly - whatever makes an audio peak for me to see works for me! Smile
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I now mostly record long-form projects, I learned how to use punch and roll in Reaper and haven't looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reaper+punch+and+roll
VO-BB Member #59
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i snap.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make mouth clicks which has amused some engineers in online sessions. I also could never use an automatic splicing option. I’ve been doing this so long it takes almost no time cut the bad takes. Plus, every edit deserves some attention for the recording to sound like one fluid reading. Do the two bits sound logical (musically speaking) together? Do breaths need to be reduced or faded together or eliminated? It only takes seconds to make each edit this way.

Yeah, I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but it keeps the clients happy.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these dog training clickers.

Easier than making bodily noises.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Bruce said... including the part about amusing engineers when forgetting I'm in a Source Connect session and just click out of habit.

Much like the de-breath plug-ins out there, I would think an automated software editing solution would wind up causing frequent edits that just don't sound right.
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that punch-and-roll technique is fantastic. While I do have a licensed copy of Reaper when I thought it would replace Audition (ditched due to subscription fee)... it was just too complicated for my needs, which is what led me to TwistedWave.

Also, got a reply back from TwistedWave developer, Thomas. He thinks clap/snap detection could be useful, though auto-editing of mistakes more complex but he'll keep it in mind.

He also had a suggestion that I wasn't aware of:

Quote:
If you load your text script in TwistedWave, the speech recognition feature can automatically synchronize the recorded audio with the script, and will automatically place a marker when it detects that you jump back or forward in the script. That can help when editing.

Another thing you may not know, is that you can install the TwistedWave remote app on an iPhone, and tap the marker button while you are recording, instead of snapping your fingers.

Markers are interesting because it's a known quantity in TW (unlike a snap or clap) and so you can snap the playhead right to the marker, which could speed up editing times... though not sure by how much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: