VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this normal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Is this normal? Reply with quote

Was going to hit up 'In Both Ears' (Northwest agency) about representation and was a little taken back by their requirements.
I admit that my experience with agencies and reps is VERY limited so this might be the norm but wondering if this kind of stuff is normal?
For instance:

Quote:
"We are now also requiring talent to submit a letter of recommendation from an industry reference, be it a coach, studio, or client with whom you’ve worked. Fellow talent are not included.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm above any of this. Not trying to be judgemental as, as mentioned, I don't have a lot of experience with agencies.
But is this fairly common practice to require this much?

Full requirements here: http://inbothears.com/contact/representation
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been the policy of In Both Ears for several years now. I think a couple folks here are on their roster and can confirm that. Their cut also went up to 25% for each booking a couple years back; not sure if that has changed since then.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George.
Just to be clear I was referring to the total requirements they're looking for, not just the 'letter of recommendation.'
Wondering if this 'check all these boxes' is becoming the norm.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you need to clarify which of the requirements you are referring to, cuz their site lists many. If it's "we are no longer working with talent who have active accounts with TheVoiceRealm.com, Fiverr.com, Voicebunny.com, etc. Any situation or site where fair rates are compromised does not align with us philosophically" this has been the practice of many agents for years, whether they admit it or not. These P2Ps have taken a huge percentage of the work away from the agent's day to day. Many actors haven't a clue that when they submit to agents, often the agent will check to see if they are listed with P2Ps. Then they also surf their social media behavior.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.
I'm speaking to the totality of all their requirements. It seems like a lot and some a bit much ('letter of recommendation?') but, again, I speak with little experience on the matter.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand and actually recommend referrals. A letter of recommendation is asking a lot as many just don't want to take the time to write a letter of referral, including myself. But hey, everyone is entitled to conduct their business the way they prefer. There is no common practice. Every office is different. And an acceptable referral for a regional agent might not have the same clout needed for a larger coastal agent. A referral from me to a large animation agent won't have the same clout as a casting or voice director. In fact, I always tell my students if you are going to use a referral, use a buyer. Not a fellow actor, coach, demo producer. But someone who can hire you, or has hired the agent's other clients? That's a good referral.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with IBE since 2013. I don't recall any such questionnaire or conditions back then. I think I simply supplied some samples and my "right to work" documentation. I've booked a few times with them... I don't see many auditions for my Brit niche.

Stacy has tried to differentiate IBE from the new raft of "we accept anyone" agents who seem to list anyone with a microphone and a pulse. I actually like her making her position about signing P2P talent public... as Bob said, many agents have this policy but don't make it public. Some of her business ideas have made me raise an eyebrow (optional management services, recommendation of coaches and coaching events to the roster, etc.) - but just because I'm not sure about something, doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing Gasp

There is also some confusion about her (non-union) rate hike to 25%. This caused a minor kerfuffle on social media... but it's not as onerous as it sounds. In the normal course of events, you may do a $1,000 job... and get $800 in your pocket (the $1K less 20% commission). Everyone is happy. Now, in reality, the job may have been $1,000 +20% agent commission from the client end... so the agent collects the +20% ($200 from the client) plus the "regular" commission of 20% ($200 from the talent) - so, in reality, this is a $1,200 job with $400 (33%) going to the agent. Stacey's position is that the agent (IBE) gets 25% of the gross i.e. the $1,200 is split $900/$300 (NOT $800/$400)... so, in effect while the 25% looks like a big number, in many cases it's less than a "comparable" 20% from another agent. Even if the job terms with the client was $1,000 +10%, 25% of the gross nets the talent $825... $25 more than the "normal" 20% rate.

Blimey... that looks far more convoluted than it actually is... no wonder she had a hard job trying to sell it to the rapid knee-jerkers on Facebook* Smile

(* I may have been one of them... I was having a bad day)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agents have the absolute right to limit their roster to people who will represent them well and honorably. They also honor their talent by not taking on more than they can handle effectively. IBE actually removes several people from their list every year and announces it, possibly to keep laggards on their toes.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: