VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Router replacement recommendations (RRR: )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Router replacement recommendations (RRR: ) Reply with quote

Hello all, been awhile since I dropped by. Time to retire ole'reliable...an Airport Extreme 5th Gen router which has held up remarkably well for my needs and supported speeds adequate for Source-Connect Std. 3.9, with 200mbps/10up internet. It also acts as my office/living area wifi source with no major issues.

Having decided to step up to a 400meg/20meg up internet tier, the Extreme throttles out at around 300 mbps on average (for ethernet-connected studio computers) and lower on wifi devices so I need to step into the new decade and get a great, more robust and contemporary replacement router to accommodate higher speeds and optimal ethernet connectivity. I'm entirely Mac based FWIW.

Would love to get any feedback on a good candidate to consider, primarily for S.C. or IPdtl... but also solid wifi performance for general office/home use.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Mike

Saying something since 1970-
something
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your budget, but my IT/engineer brother helped me do an overhaul of our home network, which of course includes my studio.
I moved into the "prosumer" category and man, have I been blown away compared to the router/modems that the service providers give, but also other third party routers.

I went with my bro's recommendation of the Ubiquiti ecosystem. https://www.ui.com

I bought the Dream Machine as the router, which simply plugs into the terminating device for my fibre optic internet. I'm then hardwired from the DM to my studio computer, and then I bought a few of Unifi WIFI units and placed them throughout the house. Best WIFI we've ever had.

I LOVE the Ubiquiti app and how easy it was to get the network humming. There is a bunch of overpowered stuff in there that I will never probably use (like all routers), but it is way simpler than ever to set up port forwarding and monitor the network.

My end goal is set up a NAS backup and storage system, and also use their home security products.

I have gigabit internet (1000mbps down/up) so decided that it was worthwhile investing in something that would help me to get the most out of that tech.
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:

I moved into the "prosumer" category and man, have I been blown away compared to the router/modems that the service providers give, but also other third party routers.
[i]
I bought the Dream Machine as the router, .....
then I bought a few of Unifi WIFI units...
Best WIFI we've ever had.
but it is way simpler than ever to set up port forwarding ...
worthwhile investing in something that would help me to get the most out of that tech.
[/i]

Thanks Matt! Much appreciated. A couple of other forums have good things to say about ubiquiti and reviews look pretty great. It seems that would do the job more than adequately for a home/office/studio application... I was leaning toward an Asus but for a few $ more, could see the Ubiquiti being maybe a bit more user friendly for net configuration and addition of mesh units perhaps at some point as well...

Thanks again,

Mike

something
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

A very friendly reminder that you don’t need to quote the entire post you’re responding to. In fact if your response post is right under it we’ll usually figure out what you meant.

Many thanks!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted! Thanks Bruce!

something
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: