VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for feedback
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for feedback Reply with quote

Hello! I'd love some feedback on my website/demo. Not a newbie per se but trying to move to a new level.
Thank you!

www.meltonvo.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....ready for an odd response? Who is Becky Halcomb??
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob! Becky is a small market radio station client.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that everything relevant is right there on the front page. Don't have to scroll or click. Commercial demo sounds great; I'm surprised I haven't heard you on the 1000 rheumatoid arthritis commercials my wife and I have to endure to watch just about anything on Hulu (:

Teeny tiny nitpick: in the Services link, what I think I would like to see is either re-framing the features into language that feels more like benefits, or an added section that talks about what your services will do to benefit the prospective client (which could give you more SEO bits to scrape from)
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiblyandrea wrote:
Hi Bob! Becky is a small market radio station client.

That's what I thought. So, here's the deal. Impressive people are only impressed with other impressive people. Your marketing needs to impress. In general I am not a fan of quotes or testimonials from buyers because most are not all that impressive. Actors will include them with the excuse of, "Well, that's all I have!" Better to have no testimonial than an unimpressive one. It looks needy and desperate. I do not allow or offer my own quotes for this very reason. A coach is not impressive. A demo producer is not impressive. A top ad exec from Leo Burnett, head of promos from CBS, a major animation casting/voice director from Disney, those will impress. But you will rarely if ever see testimonials from these buyers because actors who have worked for them know that even a testimonial from them looks desperate and needy.
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and George for taking the time to give me some valuable input. I'm going make adjustments today!

Bob, I agree with you. I went back and forth on the testimonial. I'll axe it.

I "re-launched" my vo business a few weeks ago after a year-long stint in law school. (I'm going on 40 and I had thoughts that I'd better do something more secure for my family's future) Suffice it to say, law school was not my happy place. Now we are moving back home and I'm recommitting to dreams I've had for a long time. I think I've got my ducks mostly in a row.... now to find some work! I have a steady eLearning (K-8th) narration gig but narrating math problems also is not necessarily my happy place. 😁 Again, thank you for your feedback.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! And trust me, that legal education is gonna come in very handy in this business of show. Wink
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the solid input above, if you think it may help I'd be happy to have a chat with you on Skype. My ID is voiceoverist.
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
In addition to the solid input above, if you think it may help I'd be happy to have a chat with you on Skype. My ID is voiceoverist.

Thanks, Philip! I added you just now.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see you but am sure you'll show up at some point
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your demo.

Describing yourself as "authentic, connected, etc." is a waste of time. First, 95% of VOs claim such descriptors, and it comes off as filler that glazes the eyes. Your demo conveys that info much more powerfully than your own generic hype. That space could be used to share an example of your work, which is going to be much more important to a potential buyer than your opinion of your own voice.

To the right of that, you have a generic image of a soundwave in a chat icon that again is simply cliche.

In your "About" section, you describe a journey to VO that also comes off as--you guessed it--cliche. You did this and that and finally found VO. Yep, sounds like most people in the voiceover world. I ask, what do you think this little piece is buying you? You don't want the subtext to be "hey look I'm like all the other VOs who want to be loved."

In short, you are clearly talented and don't need the generic distractions. Right now your demo-proven ability is fighting against uninspired filler that contradicts the message of talent.

In the end, these are quibbles about things that most buyers have learned to ignore anyway after visiting countless VO sites. But I figure, why not show that you know by avoiding the well-trodden paths of all the rest?

I wish you the very best, Andrea. You have a frankness in your voice that is very marketable, and I expect you will do well :)
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack, I have a follow-up question regarding your (really, really good) feedback.

The only reason I didn't bring up some of the stuff you mentioned in the about section was because it's not on the main page. It's on a separate page that a prospective user would actually have to click on to go to in order to find that out. I've been on the fence back and forth about trying to find the balance between "what is and is not cliche" and "what is going to give Google the SEO dopamine rush it needs" as that pertains directly to my own current web site reconstruction.

Not that web pages are necessarily a "set up shop and wait for the business to come to you" kind of scenario, I'm just trying to find the balance between great advice like yours and satisfying the "algorithm" that is a part - if relatively small - of the overall picture.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, in my opinion, the algorithm is not going to be much affected by adding an "about" page or section. Google's algos are pretty opaque and barely recognize the SEO-stocking strategies of yesterday. And frankly, at the traffic levels most of us get, the impact will be negligible.

My site has very little text. No one cares about me personally, they want to know if I can do a job. They aren't going to find me by typing in search terms, they will find me because they have a reason to look at me. In my opinion, what they want to know:

Have I done the kind of work they are doing, and at the level they represent?
    Who are my reps (if they don't already know)?
    THEN... if my work doesn't confirm my ability for their needs... they look at my demos, but most visitors do not. (In my experience, demos are primarily [1] for getting in an agent's door and [2] tools used by agents to get work or auditions for work.)
    Basic contact info for my reps and for me, though primarily for the reps.

What they aren't looking for:

Info about my studio. They presume I have all the tools necessary.
    My personal history, hobbies, or thoughts on the industry or whatever.
    A client list. These are almost meaningless and are more likely to reduce credibility than reinforce it.
    Pictures of me with a mic.
    Coaches I've worked with. I do workshops and receive coaching regularly, but no one else gives a damn. It either works or it doesn't as reflected in my performances.

Keep in mind, I made every mistake you can make regarding my website in the past (as well as a host of other mistakes not website-related).

I'm sure people will disagree with some of my points, but I stand by them.

Hope this is useful, George!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with a lot of what Jack said. I have never been a fan of an actor telling the listener what they sound like. You risk your demo not living up to your own assessment of your talent, which in itself on your own marketing is pretty presumptuous and narcissistic. If your demo is great, the listener will find it great. If your read is authentic, the listener will find it authentic. But conversational and authentic is expected. It's like a fast food drive thru advertising, "Our food is served hot." Well, no duh!

Less is more. Let the demo and your talent be your sell. Don't tell others how they should feel about you and your skills. I have found people investing more in their branding or the color of their site than acting classes, or demos with relevance. You don't invite people to a play you are in telling them how wonderful your acting is on the invitation. And you don't get a quote from someone unimpressive on the invitation. A website is an invitation for buyers to delve deeper into what you have to offer. Let them decide what you sound like and are right for.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderfully articulated! Never tell people what to think, never tell them their opinion of you because their thoughts and opinions may be head and shoulders above yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: