VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Stopped Counting at 50!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: I Stopped Counting at 50!! Reply with quote

I searched for "podcasts for voice actors" and came up with at least 50 of them! Holy moley or some such exclamation. I'm sure some are crap, some are one or two shot wonders and abandoned, but do you listen to any of them? Regularly? Are any of them worthwhile for an established voice talent, and are any particularly good for beginning voice ackers?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather a fan of Crispin Freeman's "Voice Acting Mastery" that has been going on for some time now. Aside from the fact that he voiced some characters I very much enjoyed from what feels like another life ago, his interviews are insightful and thorough.

I find that the content appeals to all experience levels most of the time.

http://www.voiceactingmastery.com/
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

105% of them consist of blustering, needy, egotistical individuals who parade received ignorance and ill-informed opinion as knowledge. The remaining VO podcasts are awful!
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one VO podcast that I listen to on the regular: The Pro Audio Suite.
I learn some very interesting new things about gear and improvements I can make to my setup. They also get in some great guests, most speaking from the technical angle.

Educational/informative content aside, the reason I tune in as often as possible, is that the four hosts are intelligent, funny and don't take themselves too seriously.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know that there are at least 50 VO podcasts. I had no idea how much time I was saving by not listening to any of them.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were more so I could calculate the time saved and see the total in terms of Months saved.

A few years ago I was the guest on a Podcast hosted by 2 FVOs. They wanted me to "tell it like it is, Philip!" I did. The audio was edited to remove all my thoughts that kicked against their sales message.

"Philip, should people pay top dollar for great voice coaching?"

My reply?

"Probably not as those who succeed tend to have intuitive skills."

In the final edit?

"Hello, lovely to be here!"
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to a lot of podcasts. I too have reviewed many of the VO podcasts on offer. The number of VO podcasts I actually subscribe to is zero.

A few years ago, I was involved with a team-handed podcast. It was fun and we picked up about 50,000 downloads. The objective was to simply to have some fun with it... but we went into "podfade" because getting the team together was like herding cats... we became more and more irregular and eventually disappeared in a puff of smoke. We took jabs at industry sacred cows and (apart from maybe a little profile boosting/ego) had no marketing agenda.

Going through the current mass of VO podcasts, some things are immediately apparent. Some hit you with the fact that the host(s) desperately need to be "important" in the industry and the whole thing is self-promotion/ego. Others demonstrate an inability to present themselves in any way that suggests they actually sell their voice for a living. Basically, they have no presentation or editing skills. Some are quite well produced but serve only as a platform for the up-sell. There are many parallels with the recent avalanche of worthless and facile blogs that simply serve to raise the bloggers profile and act as a portal for the crap they're trying to sell.

Of course... there are relevant and worthwhile bloggers buried in that particular compost heap... and I'm sure there are a few podcasts like that as well. I have yet to find them though.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:
Only one VO podcast that I listen to on the regular: The Pro Audio Suite.

Forgot to mention this one in my post. George Whittam is part of the group of four and it's great to hear reviews of equipment, software, interviews with folks, and such. It's not always voiceover related thought; some interviews and topics are audio industry in general but I find all the angles they cover to be relevant to my interests. Their brand of humor makes it all the more worthwhile.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a guest on some. I've been asked to be a guest on many, but I turn most down. Most are hosted by lousy conversationalists. They ask questions but have no skills conversing. Or they don't thoroughly research their guests and ask the same questions that have been asked a million times. Last night I did a 3 hour Q&A with vo actors who asked far better questions than most vo podcasts do. I've been asked to host a podcast and by some pretty cool companies. But I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said. Here are some I do like, audio and video:
http://www.voiceactingmastery.com
https://www.owltail.com/people/Y8wXt-steve-blum/appearances
https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/talkin-toons-with-rob-paulsen-10694https://www.gilbertpodcast.com
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/id10t-with-chris-hardwick/id355187485
(the 2 above are more pop culture but you will find some great interviews with several big vo players)
https://vobuzzweekly.com
(probably the best collection of interviews with those at the top of the vo food chain)
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add George Whittam and Dan Lenard's podcast to Bob's list, you have all the VO podcasts you will ever need -- and then some.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not ABOUT VO, but features some fabby VO people. Namely, our own Matto and Philip Banks -- who are very, very funny by the way.
It's called "My Friend Lyssa" and I highly recommend a listen.

www.karynobryant.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best edition of a podcast so totally ever and I ain't lying or nothing was, is and remains ...This one! https://www.thevosocial.com/the-vo-social-podcast/episode/30302d9d/27-the-promo-voiceover

Recorded on location at Manchester Airport, Aberdeen Airport, on the road, Castle Fraser, Portgordon, Cullen Beach, Cullen Bay, Portknockie and Findochty.

Warning - May contain useful information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: