VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone for remote client clips...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: iPhone for remote client clips... Reply with quote

A colleague will be travelling very light in a remote area and, at times, may have to use only his iPhone 7 and its built-in mic (and the Voice Record Pro app) to submit a series of three-minute narration clips as commercial samples for a client.

How would you describe the likely difference in quality, to an untrained executive's ear, between that basic setup vs. the adding of a Mixerface PRO 2 and possibly a Neumann TLM 49 to the recordings? I’ve heard some iPhone samples/auditions that, for whatever reason, were surprisingly effective, while others were certainly not. This guy is very good but we’ve never made the direct comparison so hope you folks can give us your insights.

The objective is simply to demonstrate that the narrator is skilled, has a fine voice and that, with the proper equipment and production, this will turn out quite well. The client is aware of the rustic nature of the recording environment.

If the difference in quality for this casual project isn’t immense, the basic iPhone setup described above would work best for a variety of logistical reasons but, if there’s a giant gap in quality, he’d look at changing his hiking route and making some other changes to try to connect with some better options along the way.

Thanks very much.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard some surprisingly good iPhone recordings as well. Also some bad ones! To be honest, most of the bad ones are easily identified as bad because of bad technique or bad environment. If the client understands that these are just demos or scratch tracks, and your colleague practices technique with the phone and some rudimentary sound treatment (pillows and whatnot). The differences will probably be minimal and not a problem for this particular usage. If he knows what he's doing (and practices to nail it) then he may actually sound better than some peoples' closet studios Smile

I've never been a slave to carrying around equipment and turning a hotel room into a makeshift studio. Some people love doing it... but I think it's a pain. He should travel light, enjoy his time in the wilderness and simply use his phone when needed. Obviously, I would not suggest this for production work... but for samples etc... go for it.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that; it simplifies things considerably for us to take this approach and your similar encounters with decent (enough) iPhone results is doubly encouraging.

In your opinion, would a Mixerface and superior condenser mic, used with the iPhone and in a good recording environment, produce a pro-quality result?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the Mixerface... but I have recorded with a Shure MVi interface and an AT875R (short shotgun) into an iPad using Twisted Wave. This is certainly going to give you a vast improvement. I would say that in a good environment, the entire chain would work as well as the mic itself would allow. Although I stopped taking it anywhere, I tested that rig in my booth, and it was fit-for purpose. The only thing to watch out for is that some of these smaller "portable" interfaces do NOT supply a full 50v phantom power. The Shure MVi comes up short... the AT875R worked fine... but the MKH416 just shrugged and impersonated a stick. Just test everything beforehand... don't find out when out in the field Smile
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my galaxy s6 with Audio Evolution software for a few auditions when traveling. It worked fine. Evolution has a few effects including a nice gate that can filter out unwanted noise. The quality was good for audition purpose. I used a closet for dampening to record in.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, did you use only the Galaxy's built-in mic?

Did you have any other gear 'enhancements' to improve the result or was it pretty much just as you described?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the built in mic. No other enhancements. I listened later to it on my system and it sounded good, not like a studio but, good. I told my agent ahead that I would be using the phone to record and they let the client know. No probs.
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have come technologically a very long way…
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just built a backpack for my otari mx5050, drawmer 1960 pre, and a diesel generator - i had to buy a new truck to haul it - but it works great!

craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do you block out the generator noise Todd??????? Wink

British Voice Over
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's probably floating it across a dozen or so old car batteries and an inverter. Just kill the genny when recording and go on silent power... shouldn't add too much weight Smile
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish, your ingenuity knows no bounds! Well played.

British Voice Over
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter is dead on. i had to get a new truck to hold all the weight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: