VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quarantine and Promo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Quarantine and Promo Reply with quote

While chatting with friends and clients over the past few weeks I kept hearing the same question "You live like this every day?" The answer is yes. yes, I do.

If you have ever considered making promo the focus of your VO career, I encourage you to assess your current quarantine state of mind. You may not be fit for "The Golden Handcuffs"

Do you like to be at home?
Do you want to travel farther than 10 minutes away from your home?
Are you willing to walk out of dinners, dates, movies, etc. at a moments notice to go back home or to your car to record?
Are you willing to do that while on vacation?

Things to think about if you if you ever want to pursue a career in promo.

Last edited by Dan-O on Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I had a friend in Phoenix who's life was television station promo, and I mean life. He couldn't take a vacation and as you state really couldn't get out of the house. A three day vacation was a major pre-planned event (this was before travel rigs) with hopes that his friendly replacements wouldn't take over his positions with the stations.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Sorry bud.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we ponder our Voiceoverist quarantine here are some thoughts:

I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyardia. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone.

I don't try to annoy People. It's just a gift.

I'm not self-medicating with Chocolate during this trying time of our lives. The Lady at the shop wrote me a prescription… Well, she called it a receipt. Whatever...

F2
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarantine and Promo Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Are you willing to walk out of dinners, dates, movies, etc. at a moments notice ......

So this made me wonder, Dan, have you tried to keep track of what percentage of your outings have gotten interrupted for work reasons? And the magnitude of the disruption? I mean, I imagine sometimes if you step out for 30 minutes and then you rejoin the family, it's not a big deal... and other times it could be quite unwelcome disruption.

Either way -- it's a living! W00T
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Yeah, that's a tough one. Sorry bud.

But, that's the point of my post; I love my life. This is what I have dreamt and worked towards doing for 20 years. My wife supports it and my kids know no different. If what I wrote above turns you off then consider it fair warning or a public service announcement.

Jen, it's always a gamble and you learn the times of the week when it's safer to take a night out Fridays after 7:30pm PT through Sunday morning is a good bet for me. But, during the week it's up to the client's work schedule. For example, a friend of mine has a session 6 days a week between 11pm and 1am for a major daytime talk show. In the promo world it's a dream job both monetarily and exposure. "Golden Handcuffs" Availability, Dependability and, well...Ability are the three keys to success.

Someone once told me the goal of every great promo voice was to have a studio that overlooked your pool so you could watch your family play in it.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 8th April 2020 - I recorded exactly 251 separate pieces of audio.

CUE APPLAUSE and Orchestra playing an heroic theme.

Now, back on Planet Real. The above number is mine and it is neither to my credit nor is it my fault.

I live with no other Human but do have Bess the Border Collie. I work, I walk, I run, I row using a rowing machine in my office. Life is fine and may be that extra 10 inches around my middle will vanish, may be not.

Most people in our business fail because they like the idea of being "THAT voice!" They LOVE the idea of earning $1million per week plus a free massive Yacht every quarter. But they are unable to do the job and do not like the work ; being in love with an idea is not the same as living it like a livvy thing.

"What were you doing at 2 o'clock this morning?" asked Darren who was visiting me last year.

"TV promo, On the Money, a Saturday breakfast show on CNBC. Coffee?"

We adjourned to the kitchen.

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx4VJqRoZYA

It is 10 years old! I am 10 years OLDER!

NEXT! In Portgordon. A walk with Border Collie. Stay toooooned!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quarantine and Promo Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Are you willing to walk out of dinners, dates, movies, etc. at a moments notice to go back home or to your car to record?

I understand the promo scene and the "need" for fresh content with a continuity of voice. Whether that need is real or manufactured by the stations is another issue... it's what they want, it's what they pay for, so it's what they get.

What bothers me a little more is the way this philosophy has leeched over into regular VO life (if there is, or ever was, such a thing). The demands for instant gratification from the casting side... the talent who develop a nervous twitch when they can't turn an audition around in under an hour. The P2P "hero" who proudly states he gets up from the dinner table to do an audition... because speed is essential! The families who suffer when the short break necessitates the transportation of a mobile studio... because, y'know... I might get an important audition!

In many cases where people are needed 24/7, it's because they've allowed themselves to be so. If a client says "I need this every day"... we say "Yes!" and bite their hand off... when we should be saying, "I can give you forty-eight weeks a year." But unfortunately, the precedent has been set, and that's never going to happen now Smile

I mean... seriously... are we expecting a bigger sacrifice from voice talent than we are from our doctors who historically work long hours and weeks without a break... but still manage to get time off and get a vacation? (notwithstanding the current situation). I think we think we are important. I think we are collectively delusional.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Philip, what's your travel rig?"

"Sunglasses, Bermuda shorts, a camera and a credit card!"
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm probably 70% in the handcuffs.. like peter said - when someone says
i need it NOW", i ask, "really? ... or would monday before noon work?" usually they say - "sure, monday will be fine." i realize that this is not "promo work". when i have a chance to go to the farm for a few hours or a few days - i unplug - mostly because there is no internet & barely a cell signal there. i used to take a travel rig on "vacation" - now i don't.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dan, I carefully consider my movements, as I won't venture beyond roughly 20 minutes from home on a weekday. Of course there are exceptions, but even then I usually clear things with the pertinent parties, and said exceptions usually just mean I'm 30 minutes away rather than 20.

I asked for this, and I'm very happy to "deal with" these restrictions. I know that I may have to get up off the couch at 10pm and I'm fine with that. In fact, I'm usually a little bit thrilled. Not leastwise because it justifies my regimen, giving me the Feelz and allowing me to say things like "See?!" to my loved ones.

Bish's comments are interesting as I rarely hear the considered opposition (and Bish, I realize you are not arguing against always-on avail but pointing out how folks often create their situations based on things other than actual necessity). In my case, being available is a mix of self-created urgency and actual need, and the truth is I sometimes overstate my vitalness (and my vitality, but that's another issue entire).

But to Dan's point--all you have to do is NOT be available once for your star to fade in a producer's eyes. I've heard too many tales of top VOs being taken off premiere gigs or pushed down the list of go-to hires because of not being available--once. Fact: they have MANY choices, and at any given time there are *n* voices who could do a bang-up job on the same spot/campaign. The person they can trust to deliver quickly and well, they will always come back to. (Until a new CD comes in, of course, but that's another story :).
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
But they are unable to do the job and do not like the work;

So simply expressed, and yet somehow mystifying to bajillions.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some promo work but I have experienced very little that absolutely can't wait. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard. The people I deal with generally send me emails but I have told them that if they need something right away, call me. One of the more recent times the phone rang, I was on the way to a doctor's appointment. I told them it would be a couple of hours before I could record their promo and they were OK with that. Most of what I do for them is planned stuff, but when it's an emergency (such as something weather related), they call me because Bill Ratner (their guy for the really important promos) wasn't immediately available. I'm pretty sure Bill is not worried that he's going to lose his gig to me.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

"Sunglasses, Bermuda shorts, a camera and a credit card!"

I'll bet you haven't worn Bermuda shorts since you were ten years old.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worn them. Bermuda Shorts better for creative written flow. Heathcliffe? His Real name Colin just didn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: