VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's starving?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In excess of 95% of people setting out on the road to Voice Over Heaven will not make a penny. In the remaining 5% the majority will spend what little they make on treats for the family or more coaching, training and demos to try an elevate themselves to the top 2.5%. In that 2.5% some are making extra money to sweeten the salary from the day job or adding to the income from other acting roles. Globally I suspect that only the top 0.5% will derive their entire income from doing voice over work and no full-timer is making $1 million a year or more, that there is celeb territory.

If we know anyone who is about to float into the 0.5% we need to reach down and offer a hand up, not a hand out, a hand up!

Who's starving? My agent, apparently.

Envy or bitterness is simply not healthy. Asking a question of someone who appears to be getting out of life or work what they want is extremely healthy. Success for some is failure for others, Bill Gates wouldn't last a week on what I earn. Ignore numbers, pay close attention to methodology.

A smart actor is equipped for anything an actor who thinks (s)he's smart is Bartending in an Airport Bar or working in a Sushi restaurant, I've met both of them and know their coach.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....and never would I pay $14 for a coffee! My limit is $13,75!

lol - i can dig it! tongue firmly in cheek, bob. i love how you speak out against the vo-mills and try to point folks in the right direction.

i'm friends with a "c-lister" (college days) married to an (at least currently) "a-lister" living in LA. they are both super people and would rather eat at whataburger than WP24.

people is people - and we all think we're frauds.

Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="todd ellis"]
Quote:

i rarely talk finances - but because someone did - it helped me.

THIS!

I think folks are more comfortable about discussing money nowadays than in the past because there are more people in the industry willing to share experiences. I went from almost selling my equipment to nearing 6 figs to arriving at 6 figs for the first time in my VO career.

I told some friends about it, and it wasn't a boast, it was guidepost, a milestone if you will. I didn't have to worry about the next payment or meal, or whether my wife and my kid would have to worry about anything if I fell short.

For the first time in a long time....they won't.

I've had folks tell me what to expect when you get paid from a big promo campaign, how much movie trailers will pay you, and what you should expect from AAA video games.

If folks take the ENVY out of it and take the lesson, I dont think it's a problem to discuss money.

If someone told me they were on a campaign that paid them 60k...I'd be exited for them, and if they told how they did, I soak up that info like Absorbine....but I wouldnt have a hateful bone in my body.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being patronising or cheerleading we encourage by showing what's possible whilst counselling as to what is probable.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What six figs may look like

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Big Bucks come rolling in we all hope they don't damage the drapes with their antlers or that they haven't eaten more than 6 figs.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some yummy figs!

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely vulgar, I offer the following.

I do a lot of {Very Large Insurance Company}'s explainer videos and some of their local radio ads.
Recently, I got a call from the audio producer telling me that {Very Large Insurance Company} wanted me to voice their next set of national TV ads.
7 ads: Chicago plus 82 other market units.

The video production company in charge of this project is different from the audio producer but the the audio bloke was being the conduit, because I'd be recording with him.

I called in {Favotite Paymaster} to get some reasonable numbers (scale VO fees) and {Trusted Casting Pal} to help with negotiations.

{Very Large Insurance Company} wants the ads in Spanish as well, so the Video producer guy went to ProComm for that voice.
They gave him a price of $15,000 for 2 years for 7 spots, reaching a 3rd of the markets of the English VO.
The guy apparently wanted the same price for the English VO.
7 spots: $15K for 2 years.

There was no bargaining, no receipt of counter-offers. The $15K was his line in the sand.
Once he understood we wanted to discuss it, it was no deal, no job.
The Vid guy told US no, and that was it.

Am I starving?
Meh. It's a kick in the head with a pointy shoe, to be sure.
My success in this biz has spanned the arc between Pretty Fine to "apparently you're a hobbyist now".
I love my clients, but the biz of this biz is a pain in the ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: