VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique my studio set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farqfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Critique my studio set up Reply with quote

Hello,

I have done my best with a sort of portable home studio in my leased apartment.

I am trying to see if it is suitable enough for me to start auditioning on P2P sites and other higher level auditions. Would you guys be able to listen to some demos recorded in my space and give feedback if it is professional audition quality?

https://soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/rafael_miguel_audition/s-eO4cL
https://soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/norte-1/s-EvR2O

Thanks so much everyone!
Rafael
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds alright with me. It's a little muffled (which could be my older ears) so a tiny bit of EQ brightening might be in order. I also heard a titch of sibilance in the first read. That usually should be corrected by the narrator instead of software.

Go forth and make auditions!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit muffled, most likely the small enclosure you're using. But I think it can be tweaked into a really good place. If you can move the mic away from whatever surfaces it's near, esp from above, I'm thinking it'll open up the sound. If that's not possible, some expert EQ would also be helpful, though it won't lose the boxiness. Also play with mic position, esp in terms of proximity. If you're using gating or expansion, which I think you are, then see if you can back it off until your baseline noise just barely goes under.

Take these notes with a couple of salt shakers, as I'm no audio expert--just lending the ol' ears.
Farqfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I ended up working with George Whittam to create a rack for my audio. I think it is still muffled as I am working under a blanket still, but he has assured me the audio is still audition quality!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: