VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Research Supports Importance of Good VO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: New Research Supports Importance of Good VO Reply with quote

I recently came across a research article that I think this community might appreciate.

Data from a study out of Australia suggests that having good, clean audio actually raises the credibility of the medium it supports. In the case study, a scientific lecture video by well-known researchers were recorded with good quality audio, and another copy with low quality audio, then shown to two audiences.

The presentations with good audio were rated HIGHER and the information was accepted as more credible than the samples with the lower quality audio! This same effect no doubt occurs with all types of media, including educational and promotional material.

This research may be useful to others to use as a basis for arguing that professional VO services are not just an option, but essential to gaining a high level of credibility.

To me, the results of the study also suggests a possible sales pitch to Universities - you can offer your VO services to them in order to give them a better chance to secure funding, promote their brand and have their scholarly works be more accepted within the scientific community.

This is also a good reference to cite when clients feel rates for professional VO work are too high! Smile

I don't have access to the full published work (maybe somebody with university access to one of the scholarly article repositories can get it for us? Institutional access through Shibboleth or Open Athens would be required.)

The article itself is titled "Good Sound, Good Research: How Audio Quality Influences Perceptions of the Research and Researcher." The link below is to the summary only.

http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/what-makes-someone-believe-or-reject-information
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guil!

very interesting stuff. tell us a little about yourself?

Guil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: My Intro Reply with quote

Hi Todd. Thanks for the reply.

I quit my corporate job in Calgary back in April this year to experience a complete change of venue! I was in oil & gas for years, and in IT for many years before that, so I have a lot of solid business experience. But I really wanted to do something more creative, so now I am focusing on writing, blogging, photography and, if all goes well, doing some VO work!

I'm new to VO - just getting started with understanding the business, the equipment, etc. That is why I thought joining this group would be useful. Hopefully I can share some things with others just starting out as I figure out what I am up to!

I don't yet have a really good recording space, which is my biggest problem. I'll post a pic of my work space later... you'll get a laugh out of it, at very least!

For equipment, I am running a Presonus Audiobox USB interface with Studio One Artist version 3. My mic is a Rode NT1A, and I do my processing on an Asus G75V notebook running an Intel Core i7 processor with 12 GB RAM on Windows 10.

I've picked up my first gig already - I'm doing a series of instructional videos for a software developer.

Since I don't have any credits yet, I am considering what to do about building my demo reel.

Looking forward to participating in the community!

GS

todd ellis wrote:
hi guil!

very interesting stuff. tell us a little about yourself?

ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you now live in Queretaro, Guanajato? My cousins went to school there and live in SMA. I try to get to Mexico to visit every couple of years or so. Next time I'll post and maybe we can meet up. One of my cousins is building a home on the road from SMA to Queretaro on some sort of little lake. I haven't seen it yet - just started construction.

Anyway, welcome to the VO-BB family.
Guil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am trying out central Mexico for a year to see how it goes.

Part of the problem here is that homes are all solid concrete construction! Requires some crazy sound abatement to get a decent recording, as I am finding. The blanket over the head and mic approach works, but it sure is uncomfortable!

Maybe we can meet up next time you come through the area.

[quote="ConnieTerwilliger"]And you now live in Queretaro, Guanajato?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: