VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Small Booth Absorption

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Help with Small Booth Absorption Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

New here. Have recently had some coaching here in SoCal and have lurked around this forum for a while. Seems like an excellent group.

For isolation purposes (kids, HVAC unit, a public airport nearby), I recently built a similar copy of the WhisperRoom MDL127 Diamond shaped booth. Stupidly, I didn’t pay attention to the thin wall cloth material WhisperRoom uses inside their booths and I’ve ended up with a painted drywall acoustically booming mess! I do have absorption… so far I’ve constructed five 2’x4’ Rockboard 2” panels and I have some 2" Rockboard triangular bass traps that’ll eventually make their way to the ceiling corners.

However, I’m thinking now I should cover ALL the drywall surfaces in the booth with either cloth or 1” foam before I continue with the panel install? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloth is a good beginning. Something with lots of texture like velvet or burlap. If you've got room hang it an inch or two away from the wall so it disrupts sound going through and coming back. Next more sound absorbing material like sheets of rock wool or Corning 703 insulation under the cloth...2" thick should be plenty. Denim insulation if you can find it also works very well.

If cost is an issue moving blankets can help.

You likely don't want it totally dead but quite dead is good.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy that cloth wall covering used on pre fab booths like Whisper Rooms at any Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Seafront-Color-Gunnel-Gray-Marine-Indoor-Outdoor-6-ft-Carpet-7DD4N470072FT/206535308

it's in the carpeting section with the marine carpeting on big rolls. It comes 6' wide by whatever length you want. They have it in gray and black. Cut it with a utility knife from the back side.
Use a good spray adhesive to apply it to the dry wall...something like the 3M adhesive. It also helps to use a staple gun to tack it down at the corners and along the edges.
JWard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info and link. That's definitely the wall covering Mike.. thanks! The more I research this, the more I realize I might be better off using as much 2" insulation as I can to deaden this space. Not sure the 2x4' panels I currently have will be enough to tame these bass frequencies I'm hearing. I'm a baritone... it doesn't help Sick
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons I can't use a booth.

I find the resonant frequency within a sentence or two. Low frequency sound is absorbed by soft material. The problem you're going to find however is you have no room in there to put it. A superchunk bass trap in the corner would be great if you're a thin person and can get it in there.

The main thing your fighting is the volume of air and the resonant waves bouncing around what you built.

Is there a way to pierce a couple of the diamond walls and install some bass traps there? So you don't start losing too much interior work dimension?

www.monksvoice.com
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent more than my fair share of time and effort learning about absorption etc. for voiceover. In some ways it simple and others it more complex. That said, I'd highly recommend visiting a site such as GIK Acoustics, for example. There are others as well (I derive nothing from my recommendation), but they clearly state what frequencies their panels control. You can tailor your recording space accordingly. You can build your own, but be sure you have the data to understand what frequencies will be absorbed by the type of material you use. That said, the looks/fit/finish of panels, in my case GIK, were such that for the price it was well worth purchasing, installing and getting back to what I know how to do.

Happy New Year.
Twitter.com/TheVoiceofBrian
JWard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk wrote:
Is there a way to pierce a couple of the diamond walls and install some bass traps there?

Well, the bass traps I do have mount pretty close to the corners. The resonant frequencies are mostly coming from the ceiling. I now plan to install 4" soft material onto the ceiling... and maybe all the walls with 2" denim material rather than wall covering? I could work sufficiently in that.
JWard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.. good advice. I did contact GIK online through their analysis form. No hard sell.. just the recommendation of 4" bass traps. That would be too confining. I'll use the Rockboard 2" panels I already have.

Happy New Year to you!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass traps ought to make a huge difference.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: