VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Db Cooper & J S Gilbert doing live video on games tonigh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Db Cooper & J S Gilbert doing live video on games tonigh Reply with quote

DB and me and a ton of cool folks will be stopping by at 5pm Pacific/ 8pm Eastern to Blab, which is a hot new Live video streaming site, where we will be discussing gaming, voice acting, and making a perfect peach cobbler.

This is the link to register for your seat.

It's free, but requires you log-in with a twitter account and use the Chrome browser.

Hope to see some of you tonight.

https://blab.im/j-s-gilbert-voice-actors-from-league-of-legends-and-other-games

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I'll try to check it out!
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting my class an hour early with this! I have the link and will be leaving shortly to make sure I can connect.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a riot. I hope visitors had as much fun as the speakers!
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a blast and so nice to see DB's, JS', Mara's, Brad's, and Duncan's smiling faces Smile
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very stable platform too.

I wanted to watch more, but I had to start my class at some point and when the newbie/fan joined and asked the entirely inappropriate question, I decided that was as good a place to drop off as any. Although it meant we didn't get to see the rest of Deeb's instruction.

The comments in the chat room had a few of those same kinds of questions...people asking the big unanswerable questions in a forum that was very specifically focused on one area of voiceover.

When I get those emails, I have a canned response and when I get the calls, I have stopped being so "nice" and spending a lot of time giving them advice and simply tell them that they are asking the wrong questions and that they need to learn a bit more about things so they know what to ask. I'm not mean, but I immediately send them off to do their research.

Some of the people asking may actually end up discovering that they do in fact have some skills, but they will truly know it rather than having someone spoon feed them. Initiative and critical thinking are so important for whatever you think you want to do.
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a grand experiment and I think (at least from the turnout and feedback thus far) it was quite successful. Mike, the newbie in the seat disappointed me. I know him from Blab and I'm not sure why he would have chosen to come in at that point and not pay attention to what DB was doing; especially since I had said who would like to come in and play along on camera with DB. Mike enjoys doing some impersonations and is talented and I'm afraid that you missed an impersonation that he and I do together, called "Kermit the Frog at the Dentist's office".

Anyway, he's a managing partner in 5 pizza places and isn't looking to do voice over. Sorry he was the catalyst that got you to run.

I am hoping to do another one of these next month, perhaps with a different emphasis. I may ask a couple of individuals whom I trust if they would be willing to come in and work with a beginner(s) from the chat room on some basic v.o. skills. I also have some ideas about focusing on some other specific games and bringing in talent from those. There's no shortage of ideas and I think once a month is doable.

Thanks for being there Connie and I hope your class enjoyed it.

--js

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

Whit
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man!! Sorry I missed it!
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be editing the video in the next week or so and posting it on YouTube. DB and I are looking to do another one within the next 3 or 4 weeks. I think that having it be somewhat open (as far as gaming is concerned) will be the goal, although to look at some different emphasis each wekk, as well as having different guests on.

If you have ideas, please feel free to let us know.

Some of the ones I have been thinking about might be

The voices of Zombies and those that kill them, whereby we feature people from Walking Dead, Left for Dead, Call of Duty Zombies, All Zombies Must Die, Plants vs. Zombies

or we could look at doing shows on specific franchises, like BioShock, Halo, etc.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

Whit
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, will you post a link here?

I will totally let you know any ideas I have. Love both your zombie and franchise ideas.
Whit
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think exertions is a big enough topic for a whole session?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that these sounds (primarily un-voiced) along with the energetic screams and yells were just a case of "doing it". Oh, how wrong I was! The trick is to be as realistic as possible without actually doing yourself any damage (primarily to the voice). I did a few sessions a while ago that took me out of the loop for a couple of days because I was cavalier with my voice. It's acting and stagecraft... the ability to sound like you've taken a crippling body-blow one second and whisper sweet nothings the next Smile

I'm still working on it.
DB & JS (I see a pattern here) are the experts!
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the kind words Bish. I seem to be able to do pretty decent exertions and don't kill myself, but I can't teach somebody else. I think I've just innately developed some ways to do it over the past 24 years of doing game voices. Teaching exertions is Deebs domain and she did a great segment on the Blab presentation working with Brad that just touched the tip of what she can do with somebody.

My hope is that we can present some live video, perhaps once a month, that has a broad enough appeal within the gaming/ v.o. communities as to attract a decent audience. Additionally, I want to present people who have something of value and interest to present, but aren't about pitching a book or workshop, etc. - preferably these people would be individuals that don't normally give interviews or are people that you would get much access to. For example, I hope to reach out to Jacquie Shriver, who is the head of casting and talent manager for Sony Games. Paul Lipson is another. He currently works for Microsoft on projects like Halo, but has worked in sound design, composition and dialog production of many iconic games.

If you know of people who generally don't have many interviews, etc. online and think would make good guests to what we are doing, please let me know.

--js

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

Shiromi
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really had a blast watching this, and would love to see a whole Blab devoted to exertions. I also love the idea of getting some casting folks on there. Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to watch more!
Whit
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deebs is the most AWESOME director!!! She's got such a knack for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: