VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manley Voxbox/U87
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Manley Voxbox/U87 Reply with quote

Anyone ever used a Manley Voxbox and what was your impression? Is it all it is cracked up to be and is it worth the hefty price. I am considering one but trying to do my homework first. If you used one what mic did you use with it? I would appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks so much!

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Moore on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the U87 and 416 everyday. Really wouldn't want to be without either, but if I had to choose a desert island mic, it would have to be the U87ai.

Never used the Manley but I think Skinny Johnny had one.

The only thing is Glenn, do you have clients who may come back in the future and want to do pickups on projects you recorded with your 416?

Be warned though, AT FIRST, you may be underwhelmed by how you sound on a U87.....I was, and hastily sold my first one.....it took awhile for me to really understand and appreciate how it puts your voice front and center, esp in a dense mix.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Rob. I am not so sure I will sell my 416 if I go with another mic. I will get it serviced though, and hang on to it just in case some clients want me to use it. The Avalon will be sold for sure but really trying to give it a fair shot. However, my patience is getting thin. I have used a U87 lots of times. I like how I sound with it but never wanted to plunk down over 3 extra-large to get it. I could kick myself for selling my TLM 103. I miss that mic but I think if I am gonna buy anything it would be the U87. The question is just when I will do it.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've told this story before, but a few years ago I did a couple of commercials in a professional studio with exactly that combo of equipment. It is by far the best I've ever sounded to myself. Unfortunately I was playing a goofy German accented psychiatrist in the spots so I didn't get to hear much in my normal voice, but I could tell it was lovely setup.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

I have a good friend who uses the Manley Voxbox along with a 416. He's been doing VO for three decades and was the voice of the NBC Today show for eight years, the voice of BBC America, CBS Football and multiple shows on Discovery and such. He has a midrange voice and that's his combination of choice. I don't know of any other recommendation for the Manley, other than he really likes it.

My complaint about it and the 737, is there's too much stuff to dink with. I had a 737 and with all the setup options, I was tempted to try different settings all the time, looking for one that was better than the last. Then I was introduced to the Martech MSS/10. Read this page of customer reviews http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSS10/reviews

You really need to A/B it with the Avalon and Manley. I've used it for almost three years now. I get emails from other VO's wondering what kind of setup I have. It's the MSS/10 and 416 and as far as a Pre goes, I can't imagine ever wanting to use anything else.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My complaint about it and the 737, is there's too much stuff to dink with. I had a 737 and with all the setup options, I was tempted to try different settings all the time, looking for one that was better than the last

Amen to that. Sometimes too many choices is not a good thing, That's why I'm not a fan of having lots of different mics, and pre-amps with too many thingamjigs on them. That 's what I love about my Great River ME 1NV. Simple and uncomplicated.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, are you into the tube thing that much? Do you like needing to replace them and the elevated failure rate of non-solid state circuitry? Just curious... also, curious about what you don't like about the current sound.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

Location: A padded room with no windows somewhere in Scandinavia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, George ask some pretty good questions ...
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George...I do like the sound of a tube pre-amp but no I do not want to change tubes. I am not so sure the 737 is right for me. Same goes with the 416. It's personal preference I guess. So that is why I am just exploring some new stuff and getting some insight. Rick, thanks for link on the Martech. I will check it out.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have used a U87 lots of times. I like how I sound with it but never wanted to plunk down over 3 extra-large to get it.

From personal experience I can tell you if you buy right on ebay you should be able to pick one up for around 2K but you gotta do your homework , avoid too good to be true sounding deals, and use Paypal because their buyer protection is critical.

Buying a new Neumann mount is also pricey. You can get a used one or as long as you're not suspending it upside down, there are some generic mounts that are affordable and work with the U87
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Glenn, are you into the tube thing that much? Do you like needing to replace them and the elevated failure rate of non-solid state circuitry? Just curious... also, curious about what you don't like about the current sound.

Well, that takes care of what I was going to say. Basically using a tube preamp introduces an additional layer of maintenance into your setup.

That said, I still use several tube preamps. The Manley preamps are definitely worth the $, but they're not for everything (at least not on my voice). For the price, I'd go with something a bit more utilitarian (D.W. Fearn comes to mind).

It all comes down to what your needs are, and what your vocal range/type is. In spite of having some pretty nifty gear at my disposal, I still find myself going back to a solid state pre for the majority of my work.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fearn VT1, utilitarian?

That's what I call the pre-amps in my Fireface 800...
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayo wrote:
A Fearn VT1, utilitarian?

That's what I call the pre-amps in my Fireface 800...

For a valve-based preamp in a similar price range?

I'd like to see that trick.

I'm still a fan of Sebatron, which colored or clean (depending on how you drive it), but definitely has it's own personality. For VO, especially imaging and promo, it's a great piece of kit for under $1,000.

Still, for utilitarian, preamps like the NPNG still reign king in my opinion. But we were focused on tube preamps, right?

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider the Manley TNT and then having the freedom to experiment with different outboard and digital processors?
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,
I had the Manley Voxbox. It sounded great, but I sold it because I needed something that would sound consistent over time. I was doing work that required copy changes that would be inserted into jobs I'd done in years past. I found that the tubes would vary too much for that. I used it with a number of mics including the 416 and U87. If you buy one used, you shouldn't have any problem selling it and it will hold it's value pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: