VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skype Workout Group
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Skype Workout Group Reply with quote

Hi there,

Would anyone be interested in forming an online VO workout network/group via Skype? I was just thinking how benificial it is to read in front of other people and hear others read. Coaching is great but at $150+ an hour you can only do so much. For those of us not in NY or LA, gathering VO's in person is nearly impossible.

I'm envisioning the members of the group posting when they might be interested in jumping on Skype and working some scripts with anyone that's willing. I think Skype can support conference calls of 3 or 4 or more, but really all that would be needed is two willing talents.

Of course, experience and skill would vary but I think even the real pros on here could learn something from and enjoy reading with beginners and there's plenty of people with equal but different strengths that could help each other.

Would anyone want to read some scripts and provide feeback back and forth with other vo-bb'ers on Skype? Likely make some friends in the process...

I'm out of town until Weds of next week but if anyone's interested in joining, post here and suggest a time and hopefully someone will take you up on it. I know I'd love to have a couple short, free workouts a month so if anyone's interested, let me know!

Drew
Edwino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in looking into doing this. Think it could be very worthwhile. Have emailed you.

Edwin
Bill Roberts
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew,

Count me in on that, also call me at 702.412.167six on another item!
mmellinger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for something like this! I'm pretty flexible for meeting times - not Wednesday mid-day. Sarcastic
Shiromi
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, don't know if you have room for any more people, but I would certainly interested in a regular practice session. My schedule is very flexible.
DanG
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really good I have also wanted to try something like this out. I am game, and have a pretty flexable schedule. Get back with a time that is great for everyone to particpate.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is great. Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Sorry to be late getting back to the thread, I've been out of town on family business.

I'll be back Thurs and will email you all back and we can set something up. I'm not sure of the best number of participants for each session and the practical number that Skype can handle. I'm going to look into this, let you know what I find out and we can all brain storm here or in a group Skype session. The way I see it, the more the merrier and we can do a few groups if needed and will all figure out together what the best way of doing it is!

I'm very much looking forward to what's ahead, getting to know you all better and working some copy!

Thank you all for your interest!

Talk soon,

Drew
mediaking
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea! Please count me in.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 is the maximum number of people you can have in a Skype Chat. If Bandwidth is an issue you can use audio only. (which my be preferable anyway)
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested if the time is right. As long as it is audio only - I don't do video chat. No camera.

greg@gregorybest.com
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too....

Find this idea more than just a little interesting.
Edwino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I talked to Drew about this, he is a little busy and suggested I do something on it. Here are my thoughts. I would like to have it so that each person brings a piece of copy and records it, say with a 15 minute turnaround at the start of the meeting, and then each person in the group would comment with ways to improve and then another recording go around. Having more than 5 people seems to me would be too confusing and time consuming. So what I am proposing is next Friday the 15th at 2 p.m EST time. And the first four people who sign up or send me a pm are in. The five is only because of a logistics thing, too much time, etc, etc.

Really think Drew brought up a great idea that is being used elsewhere and a number of very successful VO have done this sort of thing in the past. If you want in and can't make it, etc, then depending on how this goes, I am sure other groups and meetings will occur.

Anyone else have any ideas or comments let me know but that is how I see it working, the simpler the better. We would probably not be listening to the sessions being recorded or maybe we should, open to ideas.

Would also propose using google hangouts seems a lot better than skype on conference calls, but you need to have google chrome or downlaod it.

Edwin
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

If you intend to take advantage of the real-time usefulness of Skype why not have everyone read the copy (or even the same piece of copy) live within the group.

I am reminded of seeing some of the Nancy Wolfson videos where she grabs someone and they stand in front of everyone in trembling humiliation and read the copy to her direction. Of course, there is no Nancy here....but it seems that the other members in the group might be able to immediately give feedback or suggestion/ approval...or criticism.

The more immediate feedback is given, the more useful it is. IMHO.

Just a suggestion.
Edwino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I was thinking privately was because often things are edited, and even pieced together. So in the real world you would hear the finished audition only. Again whatever works to create better auditions totally open to. The most important thing seems to me to get started.

Edwin
Edwino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 left for Friday 15th 2 p.m session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: