VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is source connect a necessity early in a career?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologise, random thoughts are far more interesting.

My best friend attended APAC a month or so ago and noticed that most VO people (audio book narrators) have their NETWORKING set to ON all the time ... never a good thing.
Bill Roberts
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it’s 5:30AM and it’s time to call it a night, I have had so much fun tonight, it seems like it’s a dream. But first let me apologize for being somewhat goofy in my last response. I am undergoing sleep depravation, and feel like I am lost in outer space! Goodnight!
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Skype works great for most 'phone patch' type of sessions. But since I've been dumbfounded by how many clients say "duhhh....." and scratch their noggins when I mention using Skype for remote direction, I'd have to think that at this point in time, Source Connect will provoke an even bigger "duhhhhhh" and head scratch.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, I'll join the chorus of saying that there are more important things to spend the money on. I will also add that I am not the greatest fan of SC, but I do acknowledge that others find it a valuable part of their business plan. I have ISDN and every month it pays for itself many times over... some people with SC will say exactly the same thing. There is no doubt that the industry is in a state of flux at the moment... ISDN has taken an arrow to the knee and people are pushing various different technical solutions. While these may not be perfect ISDN replacements (IMHO), many seem to be viable SC replacements. So... SC may be a premature choice from both a career and a techno reason.

... and just to jump on the threadjack. I was at the the most important part of APAC (The Naudies) and my rule for any events like this is to keep my business card stashed away... never offer unless requested or the other persons initiates an appropriate exchange... don't be that guy. I found starting conversations with... "How are you enjoying your visit to New York." led to a much nicer exchange.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top industry gatherings have an O.F.F.S list and if you're name gets on that list you're partying with other people on that list ... If you're name gets on that list it STAYS on that list.

Have you ever noticed that I turn up at events yet never appear to have been invited by anyone?
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
My best friend attended APAC a month or so ago and noticed that most VO people (audio book narrators) have their NETWORKING set to ON all the time ... never a good thing.

I was there and this was true. And it was rather disgusting, to be truthful.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I was at the the most important part of APAC (The Naudies) and my rule for any events like this is to keep my business card stashed away... never offer unless requested or the other persons initiates an appropriate exchange... don't be that guy. I found starting conversations with... "How are you enjoying your visit to New York." led to a much nicer exchange.

That and watching the show being put on by those two (or was it three) ladies at the bar. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion varies a bit here...

If you aren't in LA- you need every imaginable tool you can add to your belt. My studio philosophy has always been 'have it before they need it'.

I have ISDN, phone, Skype, ftp, and Source Connect.

I was one of the early ones to add Source Connect to my arsenal and it has WAY more than paid for itself. I just finished a 200,000 word elearning project- all recorded on SC. Plus, at least 3 studios I work with regularly use it all the time. ISDN is still the industry standard, and I use it regularly as well. Phone and Skype are tied for me...and the good old 'record on your own' is still #1.

My favorite is ISDN- but I have yet to have a client ask what my favorite is Wink

If you are just starting out- spend your money on lessons and more lessons, and study with the best. Take an improv class and an acting class, read out loud every chance you get. Then invest in a solid computer and a good microphone, research the best ways to create an acoustically sound environment and do that. THEN decide what areas you want to target in the VO world. If it's commercial, gaming, elearning, etc- you need a way to be directed. I'd go for ISDN first (which is getting more and more difficult to secure- so best get it sooner rather than later!) but more and more studios are using SC as well.

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lee, the cabaret was indeed entertaining... and you couldn't have got a business card between those two if you'd tried!
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaraEdwards wrote:
...My studio philosophy has always been 'have it before they need it'.
I have ISDN, phone, Skype, ftp, and Source Connect.
..... the good old 'record on your own' is still #1.
My favorite is ISDN

I DID NOT quote Kara's whole post Wink I was just too lazy to re-type the same thing! Rolls Eyes

I got ISDN before I had any clients...got my first gig 3 days later.
However that was 5 years after I went full-time.
I now have at least 1 ISDN session a week which, like Bish, MORE than pays for the connections....even the 2nd one I just got installed in Chez Liz Studio South.

I have had SC since I got it just after Voice 2007.
I have used it.... twice?...maybe? I hope it still works! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: