VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bypassing the Warm Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Bypassing the Warm Up Reply with quote

Hey VO-BBers, I've been chewing on an audio chain rebuild for a few years now and wanted to ask for your input. I'm currently using a Rode NTK & Avalon 737. I like the sound but I don't like waiting for tubes to warm up. I'm in and out frequently and often don't have time to wait so I'm thinking of going solid state. Any mic/pre suggestions you've been happy with in this direction?
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget?
Functions?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget's pretty loose except for extreme high end stuff. I'm thinking a 416 but I'm still wide open on the pre. Most of my work ATTM is narration & e-learning with a smatter of commercial.
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

Location: A padded room with no windows somewhere in Scandinavia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been exactly where you are right now. Having to wait for, in total, eight tubes to warm up (seven in the pre, one in the mic, an NTK like yours) became frustrating. Leaving the gear on 24/7 wasn't an option I liked, since the pre was a $4000 Tube-Tech which becomes insanely hot when warmed up. So I sold the MEC 1A and went solid state for a while, trying out different stuff.

I still use a solid state pre (Danfield MX10) but much to my surprise I ended up reviving the NTK. It's too good to just sit on the shelf, so I keep it on, and sometimes turn it off over the weekend, if I know I'm not gonna be working.

Bottom line: if you really like your gear, live with it. You have a pretty good chain there.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I still give the solid state stuff here (415T/M5) at least a 15 minute warmup before recording. Maybe I'm being over sensitive, but I think there is a slight audible difference if you just switch 'em on and go.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. Maybe I'm being a worrier but I've never liked leaving the house with that Avalon nice & toasty in the rack.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Chuck... you're pretty happy with the M5? I was thinking along that line or a John Hardy but I think I read in another thread he may not be building them anymore.
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon M5. Class A Solid state. I personally prefer the cleaner pure Pres anyway like the M5, Grace, Hardy...and let the band and music guys go for "colored". I am also not sure I buy in that a tube Pre will give you anymore "warmth" than a solid state. I let mine warm up about 15 minutes also. When you also have a tube mic to warm up it can be a drag. Many let their tube mics warm up for an hour, although I can't tell any difference in mine after about 30 minutes. Maybe my ears are not good enough. But I do find it a pain sometimes to have to wait on it. I also find interesting the raging arguments that the Pre adds very little to your sound above the midrange level. I do think that you adjust in this order. Performance - Room - Mic- and THEN maybe Pre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: